2019 Honda CRF450L Dual Sport

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
Friend of mine traded his 2014 Honda CRF250, for a 2019 Honda CRF450L this week.
The 450 is what I expected.
It accelerates almost as quick as the MX Honda 450, but u can feel how it has been mellowed a little. But it also has a 6th gear.
Wheelies are easy, and the bike is very light.
Around 80-90 mph, it wanders a little on rough roads. Correct suspension setting will fix that, as forks and shock are adjustable.
After 85-90mph, it's accelerating very slowly.
I'm not sure exactly what it's top speed is.
I only put about 6 miles on it. I'll take it out and beat on it eventually.
Overall, it is by far one of the quickest, lightest, and best handling dual sport there is. I don't know how it compares to KTM and Huskqvarna, but nothing Japanese compares. The CRF250 accelerates as quick as the Honda 650, and weighs alot less.
The 450 easily beats them both.
It retails for over $13k, and he paid $10k otd($7k something + the crf250).
Not bad, considering what a 1k sportbike costs now.
The only thing I disliked was the seat.
It feels like a 2x4 with a cover on it, really.
He brought it over for me to ride yesterday...and my ass still hurts.
Otherwise, it's a cool bike.
20181005_182040.jpg

Just so it does not look like you are writing a blog ~ 3 replies usually means it is priced too high or nobody has interest *

Friend of mine traded his 2014 Honda CRF250, for a 2019 Honda CRF450L this week.
It accelerates almost as quick as the MX Honda 450, but u can feel how it has been mellowed a little. But it also has a 6th gear.
Around 80-90 mph, it wanders a little on rough roads. Correct suspension setting will fix that, as forks and shock are adjustable.
Overall, it is by far one of the quickest, lightest, and best handling dual sport there is. I don't know how it compares to KTM and Huskqvarna, but nothing Japanese compares. The CRF250 accelerates as quick as the Honda 650, and weighs alot less.
Otherwise, it's a cool bike.View attachment 1586064
I really liked this bike on paper, but the price killed my interest. I’ll keep my dinosaur (DR650RSE), but that Honda looks the business. The seat is something common on all dual sport bikes. I road my DR650RSE for 30mins the day I bought it and was sore for 3 days, so that was the first thing I changed on it.

Thinking about changing out the seat on my 450R too,kills my tailbone after a few laps.

http://www.fishersaddlebags.com/aftermarket_seats/honda/crf450x_xr650r.html

Just so it does not look like you are writing a blog ~ 3 replies usually means it is priced too high or nobody has interest *

lol
and for the record, he can ride it, has owned alot of bikes, including a gen2 Busa.
I know there's not alot of interest for dual sports on the org, but I see the regular guys liking and posting, as some of us still like them and most all bikes.
At least it's a new bike picture on a slow night.
Keep the videos coming.
I'll get a good one of me wheelieing this thing in the near future.

I really liked this bike on paper, but the price killed my interest. I’ll keep my dinosaur (DR650RSE), but that Honda looks the business. The seat is something common on all dual sport bikes. I road my DR650RSE for 30mins the day I bought it and was sore for 3 days, so that was the first thing I changed on it.

I agree, I wouldn't spend $10k on the 450.
I am now seriously considering a Suzuki 400 dual sport. They come with dirt or sport tires
I can get a good used one for $3500-$4500, and the insurance should only be a few hundred a year.
I really may buy a Suzuki ds too, then another gsxr1k.
I've ridden the 650 ds too, and don't really care for the size and weight.

Dual sport could be my next bike. I find I dont ride my bike as much as I would like but just next door there is 100 acres of open land I ride a quad on. Would be nice to have a bike I could dirt or road ride when I have the extra time.

Really like the Husqvarna 701SM, but for the cost. One of the Japanese should make a direct competitor!

I agree, I wouldn't spend $10k on the 450.
I am now seriously considering a Suzuki 400 dual sport. They come with dirt or sport tires
I can get a good used one for $3500-$4500, and the insurance should only be a few hundred a year.
I really may buy a Suzuki ds too, then another gsxr1k.
I've ridden the 650 ds too, and don't really care for the size and weight.

One thing I dont like on the new Honda is the maintenance interval. The Suzuki 400s look cool in supermoto trim and you can have a spare set of wheels setup for the dirt and swap in a matter of minutes. As for the 650’s size, you are correct, is not the bike you would want if you are into running single track and such. Is also a handful in Florida’s sand, but I enjoy it and would love to take 2 months off and ride the thing to Alaska. That’s a bucket list dream of mine.

9D1AA080-EA97-4896-BA6E-26EBF8EDCADF.jpeg

Just for the sake of posting. Here is a pic.
Bar risers
Luggage rack
Aftermarket grips
Seat concepts foam and cover
6.6 gals acerbis tank
Trail tech vapor gauges
Cogent dinamics front fork DDCs
Stiffer fork springs
Ohlins rear shock out of a KTM
Procycle midpipe and GSXR muffler (shortened after I took this pic)
Dirtracks side luggage racks
Home made tool tube
Rear wheel home made tubeless conversion
Skid plate, Etc......

Last edited:

Looks great but that price! Did you ever ride any of the old ones, the Maico 400, Bultaco Pursang or any of the Pentons?

Miguel I once rode my DR650 985 miles in a day . That new Honda looks nice . I like Wheelies ;)
I assume you had a Russell day long made for it? That’s the only way I could do it, unless I spent half the trip standing on The pegs. :laugh:

Back