2017 suspension setup

TRbusa

Registered
Hello guys,

Looking for some setup advice from some folks weighing around 230lbs in riding gear. Mainly highway riding and some country roads. Just bought this bike. I'm sure it was setup for someone under 180.

Hello guys,

Looking for some setup advice from some folks weighing around 230lbs in riding gear. Mainly highway riding and some country roads. Just bought this bike. I'm sure it was setup for someone under 180.
Going to need new springs on the front. At least 1.1kg. Anything past that depends on your budget. New valving and shim stacks get ya in some very nice suspension performance for the front. New valving springs and shims for the front will run you around 800 installed. The rear it's best to replace the whole thing. Stock is good but you can get much better performance by replacing with a Ohlins unit and reshimed. Oh and Hydraulic preload is sweet. Definitely recommended.

Hello guys,

Like @ZeePopo said your gonna need heavier springs to get it right. To get out close the guy that set mine up turned the springs all the way in then out a quarter turn but I found it to be real bouncy in the front because of it no matter what other adjustments I did. I now have it 3/4 out which is better for the bounce but I can tell i need to redo my springs which I'm hoping to do this winter since they need serviced a long time ago since I'm at 40k and they've never been touched. You can read this thread which helped me some but you will never have it great till u replace at least the springs. Also some I see your new so welcome to the org, head over to the new owners area and introduce yourself and your busa and keep in mind we love pics of busas.

I'm about the same weight, I've set up my bike to be a little stiff to avoid any wallowing in corners...you can go to a heavier fork oil and a set of aftermarket progressive springs and should be OK, I went a little farther and had "Gold Tech" valves installed...I had the rear shock re-worked with a slightly heavier spring put on.

The only downside is it is a bit of a rough ride over uneven pavement (and that seems to be all there is around here). But it carves corners and holds a line like nobody's business....

racetech 230 lbs spring.PNG

From Racetech's calculator the shock is sprung just about right for your weight. Thus you should be able to set a correct sag in the rear at least.

I am lighter than you but I think the fork on the bike is under-sprung for a bike with no rider. On deceleration it can completely compress. While the fork is stock, freely use the rear brake to keep the bike stretched out when slowing.

Instead of aftermarket suspension components consider rebuilds from DMr in Fort Wayne. Daugherty is a master at tuning OEM suspensions for the street and his pricing is a steal.

Back