2014 Busa 5th Gear Position Indicator Blank

gmly

Registered
Hello
Have a 2014 Busa with approx 3400km (2000 miles) My gear position indicator on dash goes blank when shifting up to 5th or down to 5th

All other positions read fine

I did get 5th indicator to show position a few times by shifting at a higher rpm but then it went back to blank again

Any one have any suggestions

Bike is out of warranty by about 4 months

Read about gear position sensor being dirty

Is it located on front sprocket like a gsxr 1000?

Thanks in advance

Thank you

Does it affect driveability of bike at all

By not indicating 5th gear on dash

Does it ever show?
If not then the map is not changing for the correct gear either, it will still see 4th!

I got it to show 5 a few times

Bike has not been ridden much this season

Any chance it will get better by putting some miles on the bike

Mine would show incorrect gears if it sat over the winter. It always sorted its self out after a few hundred miles. You might try cleaning the pin. Mine had a bunch of gunk due to chain wax.

Cleaning the pin?

I thought it was a sealed unit behind the clutch basket?

Bike has been sitting since last year ridden maybe 10 miles so far this year

Thanks

George

You should be able to access the plug. By looking at one here it appears the protruding wire is about 2 1/2 feet long with the rubber piece installed half way so the plug should be accessible by pulling your right side fairing. I'd try unplugging, checking and/or cleaning, and try it first. If it's the plug, it'll be a lot less work than pulling the clutch pack to install a new GPS.

I was referring to the plug. Sorry I should have been more specific. One member was using a resistor to make the bike think it was in 5th when in 6th. The indicator operates on a resistance voltage. Possibly corrosion may play a role.

Also looking at the eBay part it shows a pin protruding as well perhaps doesn't move right or poor connection inside.

Yeah, I was sort of piggy backing on what you said about the pin/plug. I couldn't remember without looking at one if the plug was outside the casing or not, but it looks like it would be.

New development

1 to 2 indicator flashed a few times upon initial,startup when bike was in 1st

Then went back to 1

After sitting a few days

Gear indicator works fine in all gears for first 10- 15 min

Then after that it goes blank again on 5th gear indicator only

Changed oil as wellmaybe that will help

200.gif

Back