5th to 6th - It is a Rock Tumbler not a Gear Box!

rlmx

Registered
I see a few others have the same problem. But have not read about a solution. Between 5th and 6th at any speed above 40, shifting between 5th and 6th randomly fails. Probably in the 1 out of 20 range (as a guess). It sounds and feels like there are small stones in the gear box. Kind of a "funny feeling" @ 65 MPH. When it happens, the current gear display goes blank for a moment and then the bike drops back into 5th.

What is oh so sad is that I probably have a about 10 riding days left. I will feel like my best friend died when they take it to fix it. (Any chance that I have some sort of mental problem there?)???

If this is a gen II, I had the same problem when my bike was brand new.

After my first oil change it went away and at 4,000 miles my box is as smooth as a baby's butt.

Shift it like you mean it and hold pressure on the gear lever untill it clicks in all the way.

I see a few others have the same problem. But have not read about a solution. Between 5th and 6th at any speed above 40, shifting between 5th and 6th randomly fails. Probably in the 1 out of 20 range (as a guess). It sounds and feels like there are small stones in the gear box. Kind of a "funny feeling" @ 65 MPH. When it happens, the current gear display goes blank for a moment and then the bike drops back into 5th.

What is oh so sad is that I probably have a about 10 riding days left. I will feel like my best friend died when they take it to fix it. (Any chance that I have some sort of mental problem there?)???

mine does this from time to time too

If this is a gen II, I had the same problem when my bike was brand new.

After my first oil change it went away and at 4,000 miles my box is as smooth as a baby's butt.

Shift it like you mean it and hold pressure on the gear lever untill it clicks in all the way.

agreed, got to make sure that it goes all the way into gear. i think this is caused mainly due to operator error and not a bike malfunction...:thumbsup: drive it like you stole it....i only shift into 6th when i 'm in the higher rpms

Mine did that too a few times when it was new and always at slow speeds like that. She doesn't like going that slow in 5th and 6th. For what ever reason it isn't fully engaging in the next gear and finds a false neutral which sounds terrible. My fix was to stop using the clutch on the 4-5 and 5-6 shift and it never does it when shifted like that. Clutch less shifting may worry you but doesn't hurt anything if done properly. Just back off the gas a little for a second and shift it into the next gear like you normally would. Try it and I promise you will be rid of this false neutral for ever. Trust me, really ! Some times I forget and actually do use the clutch for the 4-5 and 5-6 but it hasn't done it in about two years now. My thoughts are that this may have gotten better with time.

Back