2011 Hayabusa Chain installation question

leiker_1

Registered
I have decided to extend my swing arm 6 inches, and was wondering a few things about the chain. I feel completely comfortable changing the swing arm, but the chain worries me a little. I have done some research, and it seems that the best grade to go with my stock bike is the 530. The length is a little confusing, but from the mathematics I would need a 132 link chain, only problem with that is the chains are sold in 130, 140, and 150. Would I just need to grind the rivet off of a link, and then press it out? Also the chain is a rivet style, but I have never worked with a rivet style chain. I have reviewed the photo's provided by pashnit, but the pictures are very clear about what the chain looks like during the master chain link process. Does any one have a few photos of what the link looks like before being riveted, and what a properly finished rivet would like? I know the idea is a little silly, but the fact is that I performed the chain installation improperly really........ really ...... bad things would happen.

If you are really worried, take it to a local shop and have them install it for you. You will need a chain tool to properly install the chain. You have to get the o-rings installed correctly, use the spacers so you dont over mushroom the rivets, etc. The chain should come with instructions, or at least the last one installed did, and the chain tool also had instructions.

I did think about having the chain replaced at a dealer, but unfortunately the only sport bike dealer in this town is a Kawasaki dealership. They might be able to do the chain, but unfortunately the second problem is that you have to be able to get it to them, and since the chain wouldn't be installed I would have no way to get it to them.

I'm located in Kansas, but won't be doing this project for about a month. I'm currently just doing research.

It's so simple I can do it. You'll laugh at yourself for worrying afterwards.

make sure u buy quality chain. my buddy had a chain snap and bout destryed him and the bike. also chains usually come with a quick link also or u can buy one when u get ur chain. i install the quick link and ride to a dealer so they can put the master link in

Buy a quality chain tool, like a Motion Pro(there are others too). Pashnit sells them, and it'll still be cheaper than paying a dealer to do it.
If you can change a swingarm, you most certainly can change a chain.:beerchug:

The video was very informative, and lets me know the things I was looking for. I knew that it couldn't be too difficult, but I also know what can happen if the chain isn't installed properly, so I wanted to do a little research before I made any decisions. Thanks to all that have helped me with this topic.

Back