2009 Busas and economy

rdd102781

Registered
Do you guys’ think it is actually feasible for the brand to raise the price on this bike with the economy in the downturn that it is in? Or do you think that it would give us more negotiating leverage, to get a better price for the 2009 than the 2008? It is just somehow outlandish that I can get a new car cheaper than I can get the new busa. Given, that the busa would be tons more fun, it stills seem ridiculous. Just wanted to see what others thought of this.

Last edited:
every company is looking for more profit, if the bikes will sell at a higher price then Suzuki will leave it there, if not then they might lower it back to K8 prices. Glad I got mine before price and gas went up

Suzuki sells the Busa all over the world, some other economies are in better shape. A relatively small price increase and the Busa is still a heck of a bang for the buck!

I guess you could get a KIA cheaper than a busa, but the busa might last longer.

No fun ever paying more, but lots of other bikes are waaaayyy overpriced. Overall I think we still get a bargain when comparing quality and horsepower to $$$.

Seems to me when I moved to Virginia 11 years ago, the fastest sportbikes were in the 10K $ range. I think I paid a little over 11K $ for my new K8, (a much better bike than my money would have bought me in 1997).

Many of our overseas board members tell us they pay much more for the Busa.

I think we are fortunate, just my 2cents

Last edited:
Production costs go up every year for manufacturers. Costs in manufacturer supply chains also add to the overall rise in prices.

Look at H-D, for instance. The price formula for H-D has been an increase of 3.5% per model year. That isn't an arbitrary number, it's a bottom-line increase in retail price to help offset the rising manufacturing costs (including union appeasement :whistle:).

Should manufacturers choose to absorb some of the production cost increases, the buying public would surely be thrilled. However, the companies stock holders would not be too happy with the company's bottom line.

Don't forget that research and development dollars are targeted at models that actually sell. I don't know about you, but I can justify paying a premium for a state of the art ride with cutting-edge technology incorporated into it.

Supply and demand, don't forget that little rule. If the public keeps buying a particular bike, the cost will probably not remain static. A unit that sells big year after year will normally see a model year price increase. Part of it is that the manufacturer wants a return on their investment. If a manufacturer can't turn a profit on a model, it needs to disappear from the product line-up.

Right now I don't think you'll have much additional buying power if you wave cash or a checkbook under a dealer's nose. The dollar is weak, and regardless of how the economy does, everyone needs to make a buck. Don't forget that there is an excess of used bikes on the market right now, and dealers that take trade-ins are not willing to make a deal. Yes, dealers may sit on some inventory, and yes, that is costly. Perhaps if you wait a while, you may just walk into the right dealer at the right time.

I dont think the price increase is all that much given the fact that everything else goes up yr after yr

compare it to the price of milk or bread which has doubled in price in the recent yrs

I dont know where you are but in Calif. dealers are starving many dealerships have closed down. so the remaining dealers are actually dealing!
Price increases dont help anyone if the bikes are still sitting in the showroom.
What i do is contact all dealers in the area im willing to drive to and tell them i am interested in this bike in this color whats your best OTD price and that it will be a cash sale?
some dealers wont respond but ive bought my last four bikes that way and end up with dealers really dealing to get my business. I got my new 07 all black busa for $9000 otd two thousand less than local dealers wanted for left over 06's. i had to drive a hundred miles for the deal but what the heck.
this was about a yuear ago now the 08s had just hit the showrooms and i prefer the older bike anyway.

I would wait until February, when the Market REALLY starts nosediving. Motorcycles are still considered a recreation, and when the economy starts slowing, people usually start spending less on recreation. Less Demand= price drops.

The price on a Chevy Suburban has gone up since last year, but you can get one for $15000 off sticker now.

Harley and Victory have both dropped prices already...they ain't selling squat.

A 2008 Hammer S MSRP for 19,800
A 2009 Hammer S MSRP is 18,400

Guess it all depends on value (as in does the mfg have room to move vs cost)
and sales.

Heck my local harley still has about 10 buell 1125Rs in a row for 9,500 plus a
$1000 gift certificate...these are NEW btw

Last edited:
When the 09s are out everywhere, 08s will become way cheaper. I got my Gen 1 for $1800 under MSRP along with $1000 more for my trade in than it booked for retail when the Gen 2 made it's apearance. Unless you just have to have an 09, look around for a killer deal on an 08. My :2cents:.

Is the dollar stronger or weaker than the yen ? Did I get the Japanese currency right ?

I dont know where you are but in Calif. dealers are starving many dealerships have closed down. so the remaining dealers are actually dealing!
Price increases dont help anyone if the bikes are still sitting in the showroom.
What i do is contact all dealers in the area im willing to drive to and tell them i am interested in this bike in this color whats your best OTD price and that it will be a cash sale?
some dealers wont respond but ive bought my last four bikes that way and end up with dealers really dealing to get my business. I got my new 07 all black busa for $9000 otd two thousand less than local dealers wanted for left over 06's. i had to drive a hundred miles for the deal but what the heck.
this was about a yuear ago now the 08s had just hit the showrooms and i prefer the older bike anyway.

The same way I do it too. Right now in columbus, ohio dealers are freaking out. My wife got a call the other day asking from a dealer if our bikes need any service. The first time we had dealers calling past customers asking if we need any work to be done. Trust me this month and next month they will be dealing. They are hurting real bad now. They will cut deals before the 1st quarter comes around.

Back