Abysmyll fuel economy,help!!

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
Ok, so the weather is getting nice and I have had the bike out a couple times now. I filled up the bike,brimmed, and I am getting approx. 160 kms to a tank of fuel. 160 kilometeres. That is outrageous!!!!! What is going on? Also in addition to terrible fuel economy, it is very, very snatchy in 1st gear and also when it warm's up it will be snatchy in the higher gears a little, like 4th.

In first,the bike is just lurching everywhere. I would assume that the two problem's may be linked? You can't just cruise through a little town, it just bucks. This is my first 'busa and so far it has been a pain in the azz. I think we just have not bonded yet though, to be fair. Anyway, these issues are robbing me of starting to really love my bike.

At that price and fuel useage, I won't even be able to afford to ride the darn thing!! Suggestion's PLEASE!!

Try adding 1/2 can of Berrymans Chem-tool B-12 and run a tank through. Could be the injectors clogged a bit as it sat and waited for riding season. Good luck and, never give up on her!:rulez:

It HAS been sitting in the garage since Nov. but I was able to start it a couple of times and took it out ,I think ,once, over the winter. I am hoping that it will be an easy fix,something simple and somewhat obvious.

But, please, keep the idea's and suggestions coming so I can try a whole bunch of stuff and see what sticks....

Hard to diagnose without more info.

Is your bike stock or modified?

Do you have a Power Commander installed?

Pipes?

What air filter are you running? When was it last cleaned or replaced?

Run your finger inside the exhaust pipe. What's the soot like?
Dry / Wet?
Gray / Black?
Powdery / Slippery / Oily?
Will the soot wash off your finger with clean water, or do you need soap to get it off?

Have you pulled a spark plug? What does the insulator look like? The electrodes?

If you are riding a Gen II then you should be getting between 36-48mpg. I do depending on how I ride it. 36mpg is the worst I've gotten. I rarely let mine get below half a tank so I can't say what the range is for a tank of gas. But I've heard around 150miles.

No power commander, dual Yosh pipes,insides are black and somewhat powdery, need soap and water to wash my finger, clean plugs ect.

For clarification, all the jerkiness happens below 4000 rpm's. The insides of the pipes are black and sooty. I know the bike is running rich. When the plug's were pulled in the fall the plugs looked fine.

Did the plugs have any rings on the white porcelin on the sparkplug? If so, replace them.
Is there any kind of TRE or fuel/ignition mod on the bike? If so, disconnect them. I had a TRE on my 04' and that thing ran rich till I took it off. My bike ran much better without it.
Run some fuel system cleaner through the bike. The gas may of started to break down somewhat.

Sounds like it's too rich - black and sooty exhaust, need soap to wash off.

If it's rich, then you're getting either too much fuel or too little air (duh!). I'd guess the Power Commander is set up wrong, but you don't have one. TRE, per GMBusa's comment?

In order of ease, here are things to try:

1) Verify that the throttle position sensor is properly connected. Honestly don't know much about the Busa's system, since I haven't needed to work on it yet, but the system could default full rich just to get you home safely without engine damage if the TPS is bad or disconnected.

2) Pull your air filter out of the box and close the airbox back up. If you have compressed air, blow out the intake tracts from the airbox out to the front of the fairing. Replace/clean the filter if it's better without the filter.

3) Check fuel system pressure.

4) Check ignition system. You may have one plug misfiring.

5) You have a pilot jet clogged on one cylinder. LOL. Good luck checking that one out! :whistle:

Maybe some of the Busa gurus will have better ideas for you.

Last edited:
With low mileage like that you should also be able to smell gas at the back when it is idling - that will also tell you it is too rich.
Tryt and run some BG44K or SeaFoam through it, and that may just fix it.

Run a tank of 87 octane and some fuel system cleaner through it. If it still runs rich you have a sensor problem. Do the easy troubleshooting first. It will also cost the least.

I know you said you started it up a few times and took it out once. How many times did you start it and shut it off? When you started it, did you ever let it get up to operating temps? If not, you could have a pretty case of carbon build up. Pull the plugs and see what is going on.

No TRE on the bike, as I said no pwr cmr. And now it doesnt want to start or even roll over. That bike HATES ME!!!!:banghead: My CBR LOVES me and my 'busa hates me. Possible culprit's, those little connecters on the box,left hand grip with the little plastic boots on them?

The pump whines, the lights come on,everything works ...except the ignition, it is dead, no rollover,just....nothing.

You know, I just want to ride the dang thing!!!

Ok, so the weather is getting nice and I have had the bike out a couple times now. I filled up the bike,brimmed, and I am getting approx. 160 kms to a tank of fuel. 160 kilometeres. That is outrageous!!!!! What is going on? Also in addition to terrible fuel economy, it is very, very snatchy in 1st gear and also when it warm's up it will be snatchy in the higher gears a little, like 4th.

In first,the bike is just lurching everywhere. I would assume that the two problem's may be linked? You can't just cruise through a little town, it just bucks. This is my first 'busa and so far it has been a pain in the azz. I think we just have not bonded yet though, to be fair. Anyway, these issues are robbing me of starting to really love my bike.

At that price and fuel useage, I won't even be able to afford to ride the darn thing!! Suggestion's PLEASE!!

Driving right you should get 80 kms / gallon :laugh: or over 400 kms to the tank.

The Busa is very throttle sensitive and a torque monster, so bucking can occur but should not be the norm. Don says it best grab and twist...

No TRE on the bike, as I said no pwr cmr. And now it doesnt want to start or even roll over. That bike HATES ME!!!!:banghead: My CBR LOVES me and my 'busa hates me. Possible culprit's, those little connecters on the box,left hand grip with the little plastic boots on them?

The pump whines, the lights come on,everything works ...except the ignition, it is dead, no rollover,just....nothing.

You know, I just want to ride the dang thing!!!

Is the kick stand up or is the bike in neutral ?

If the engine won't crank you need to make sure the clutch is pulled in all the way, the transmission is in Neutral if the side stand is down, or the side stand is up if the bike it in gear.

Also, you could have a low battery. If you didn't ride it long enough you may not have gotten enough of a charge to keep the battery happy.

Definitely check the clutch kill switch on left handlebar. Pull the connectors and jumper them. Make certain bike is in neutral first. Just went through this whole thing with Krakatoa..my loveable Busa who tried to keep me from riding her during Bike Week. Wardie

hello guys, Yeah my 99 busa bucks a bit. Ive just got it from a mate. he said the guy before 'fitted some fuel mod' or power commander. its probably whats up with mine. my seems very rich. doesnt Love to rev as I feel it should, does eat fuel and 'hunt a bit' on overrun at low/no throuttle in gears.-- echo the other guys question really. the throttle position jobbie sounds like what people are saying too. any more thoughts on it guys?
cheers UK seemore

Back