Are after market part's prices in line with the economy?

JusPlaynBob

Registered
I'm now working on my modding my second Busa.
I try to shop. Not be in a rush. I shop around and try take advantage of special offers.

You would think, that considering the state of the Gobal economy, suppliers would be trying their own "Stimulation Package", and maybe discount some of their pricing, or try to incorporate free shipping incentives.

This doesn't seem to be the case however.
It would seem that the Industry on the whole must be doing quite well,
as pricing appears to be the same over inflated margins has it has been for the last several years.

I haven't seen any real price reductions on anything. The car industry is a wreck but I would still pay alot for a car. To keep the prices high/inflated i think alot are sticking with their pricing. If one major company were to slash their prices overall I think alot more would be forced to do the same. Manufacturers haven't knocked down their prices either. Everyone is sticking to their guns and just not making the same volume.

Hell, look at the price of a new motorcycle. They all went up!

I am sure they feel that motorcycles are a luxury item so they do not feel they need to discount the parts.

I am sure they feel that motorcycles are a luxury item so they do not feel they need to discount the parts.

...all the way to the unemployment line and Chapter Eleven. :whistle:

For example,
I just did a little browsing through an online supplier. (Whose Name I blocked out, as a curtosy)
In order to get pricing it's necessary to "Check out".

Eight Hundred and Seventy Three Dollars, Plus Shipping.

There is no way this product should be this much money.
In any economy.

Galfer.jpg

Last edited:
shop a little more. Should be able to get those for less than $600 a pair

edit: $546 to be exact tyd

I haven't seen any real price reductions on anything. The car industry is a wreck but I would still pay alot for a car. To keep the prices high/inflated i think alot are sticking with their pricing.

I can show you a few "Buy one get one free" deals on brand new cars/trucks. Huge incentives and 0% APR ( if you qualify)

Right now is a great time to buy a vehicle.

You right, motorcycle MSRP prices vent up....

Who cares, you can get better deal on brand new Busa in comparison with last year.

I am paying less for my 08 than I did for my 05 and I got a deal on the 05!

Eight Hundred and Seventy Three Dollars, Plus Shipping.

There is no way this product should be this much money.
In any economy.

Bob, I think you are a little confused about what you are saying.

Galfer SuperBike Rotors have a MSRP of $970. Hard to read that above, but those are not standard wave rotors. They are competition grade rotors suited primarily for racers. While you could use them on a normal streetbike, not sure why you would do that. I've no idea how Galfer set's their pricing for an item like that, but it's competition grade, so they can ask whatever they want for them. $873 is a mandated price by Galfer of all their dealers. It's a lot I know, but no one in Spain is apologizing for our economic woes. You're not thinking on a global level. Free shipping on those too.

Superbike_Rotor.jpg

What BlueHaya's referring to are standard Wave Rotors w/ black carriers. Two entirely different products. You can also get them in chrome in case you are wondering. Their normal rotors are $640 MSRP for a set.

Sport_Wave.JPG

Galfer has MAP pricing rules on all their products. Which means all dealers are required to sell the product at no less than 90% of MSRP. If you do more digging, you'll find a set of normal galfer rotors will generally cost you $577 no matter where you buy them. MAP Pricing rules are very common but vary from manufacture to manufacture.

The pair for $546, don't draw to much attention to that, b/c if Galfer USA finds out about that, the dealer could/would have their account suspended or lost overnight. This 90% rule is also very common. The manufactures set their pricing, and the most discounting their dealers are allowed to do is 10% off or be cut off.

Overall, since we're talking about Galfer Rotors, Galfer is a Spanish-based company. I bet they could careless about lowering their pricing just b/c our local economy is in the toilet. I can't see spending $900 for a set of rotors either by I don't race competitively, very different mentality to those that do.

Speed costs money. :lol:

Personally, I just put a wave rotor on the rear of my K1200R ($126- and yes, MAP pricing rules on that too) and I think it looks awesome. Worth every penny just in the look alone and getting rid of that fugly stock rotor.

Img_4812_galfer_rotor.jpg

Superbike_Rotor.jpg

Sport_Wave.JPG

Img_4812_galfer_rotor.jpg

After market or not, I'am pricing a car for my wife !

I can tell you, THE BIG 3 HAVE NO REAL DEALS ???

After market or not, I'am pricing a car for my wife !

I can tell you, THE BIG 3 HAVE NO REAL DEALS ???

Yeah-I was amazed at the amount of new vehicles on the lots-week after week,month after month.The interest alone has to be in the millions on some of the larger dealerships.Yet they won't budge on prices,yet.....

No places are willing to go out of business, rather than heavily discounting stuff. It's ridiculous. Just stop buying stuff. F'em!! I won't buy anything until the prices go down. I bought my 03 Busa w/ 6k on it for $5G. There's no way in helli'm speding almost $1k for brake rotors!! HA!!!!!!!!!!!!

yea I know Hundai has their two-fer sale. They're always coming up with some gimmick for sales. As far as the incentives, if you jack the MSRP up 20% and then give discounts/incentives of 18% I do't consider that a real deal. I guess if I was a college student , returning from Iraq, with a baby on the way, a GPA of 4.0, perfect credit report, the best paying job in the world that will last forever, dropped 30% down, bought last years base model, and it was in the dealers inventory then yes I could probably get a deal.

I've looked at the Toyota Sequa for a long while and figured when the gas crunch came they would lower the price or since the econo is so bad they would drop. Nope instead of doing that they've mostly been pulled from the inventory and must all be sitting in some huge lot collecting dust. To keep the prices high they haven't sold any at a true discount.

Hell, I've been looking at used diesel crew cabs 3/4 ton and I haven't seen any great price reductions. 20-30's is the norm. It's been that way for a long time now.

Don't get me wrong there are some deals out there but not nearly as many as I would expect. No one wants to "stimulate" the economy if it'll effect the profits. The focus seems to be on keeping the prefered share holders content with their stock.

I can show you a few "Buy one get one free" deals on brand new cars/trucks. Huge incentives and 0% APR ( if you qualify)

Right now is a great time to buy a vehicle.

You right, motorcycle MSRP prices vent up....

Who cares, you can get better deal on brand new Busa in comparison with last year.

Last edited:
Bob, I think you are a little confused about what you are saying.

Thanks so much for your reply.

However, I'm not confused at all.

I specifically chose the Superbike rotors, to illustrate the absolute rediculous retail pricing of this item.

Your comparisn of these rotors against the other rotors you described actually, supports my impression.

What process or condition, could possibly justify the gross difference in pricing between these two items.

The simple answer is "None", with the exception of supply and demand.

They are CnC'd machined product using "maybe" couple of hundred dollars in materials for the pair, very little "hands on" workmanship.

You are correct on one statement though, it is "their" product, and they are "Entitiled" to sell it for as much as they can get for it.

From that point, the decision is the consumer's to decide whether they choose to purchase the product.

My Decision would be "Not a chance in Heck"!

but now you're talking about products specific to the motorsport industry. Until sponser dollars start trimming back the motorsport industry can still chanrge a higher than aftermarket price on race specific products.

It still stinks though.

No one will sell for loss, with exception of going out of business.

Galfer using proprietary alloys, not some standard steel you can buy in bulk.

How many sets they sell worldwide? I don`t think too many.

As for the car deals.... What do you expect to be reasonable? 20% off, 50%?

You can get any of big 3 for invoice minus $3-5000. $10-15,000 off MSRP is not good enough for you?

Toyota dont want to deal, never... Even now.. Still you can get for invoice and then some..

Watch out for invoice. I used to work for Ford, and we put new invoices on the vehicles. We could order new factory invoices with higher dollar amounts. I have been waiting for prices of aftermarket parts to come down also. No luck yet. Companies would rather lay people off instead of making 200% mark-up. Your best bet is to buy used. I have gotten several things lately at a really good deal. People are selling cheap to pay bills. It is sad but true.

Back