2008 Busa brake upgrades

rotts4u

Registered
The first thing I thought after spending a few days on my Busa was that even though the brakes are "better" than the original 1999-2007 busa, they are still not good enough in my opinion. So I ordered some upgrades as soon as they became available. I was hoping not to have to spend the $$ involved with new master cylinder and calipers so I started with Rotors, pads and lines. I went with all Galfer using their braided black lines as well as their HH pads and wave rotors.

I have only ridden the bike a bit with the new goodies so I am sure the pads and not even bedded in yet but the difference is substantial to me. No I did not go measure stopping distances or anything like that I just rode around like always and grabbed brakes and felt them before vs after. To me the new setup has a lot more initial bite and it seems more progressive and it got rid of that vague feel that used to make me think the lever was going to come all the way back to the bars. I think this is all I will need. I did the line and pads in the rear but not the rotor back there.

I got my stuff at Cyclebrakes.com which is the Galfer in house store but I am sure other places carry Galfer. I am just not sure everyone knows the fitment for the new 2008 bike yet. Here are a couple of pics too.

galfer2-lo.jpg

galfer1-lo.jpg

The first thing I thought after spending a few days on my Busa was that even though the brakes are "better" than the original 1999-2007 busa, they are still not good enough in my opinion.
IMO, they are most definitely are not good enough when left completely stock.

In fact, IMO they are somewhat marginal in initial bite and overall feedback, compared to what they should be.....
banghead.gif

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>

I am just not sure everyone knows the fitment for the new 2008 bike yet. [/quote]

For the 2008 Hayabusa K8, the fitment is as follows:

- Galfer wave rotors: p/n DF351FLW
- Galfer HH pads: p/n FD325G1375

For SS lines, I went with Spiegler.... black lines, Titanium-anodized fittings, and black-anodized banjo-bolts. Same for the clutch line.
cool.gif

Here's the whole package.... doing the lines/pads this weekend:

Spiegler-Galfer.jpg

Already installed the rotors when I did the carrier bolt polishing job:
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

done.jpg

thumb_up.gif

very nice upgrade, but a Brembo radial master is the same price as one rotor and would provide much better braking than the rotors. I installed braking wave rotors on my busa and didn't notice any difference at all (they look badass though).

Very nice,a brand new bike and all ready a $600 plus upgrade! but when you want more,, heres where to start!

brembo.jpg

They look great!

Boy, it never ends huh? Go as far as the VISA Card will let you.
winkold.gif

r8

106_0682.JPG

Has anyone really proved wave rotors actually out perform round shaped ones?

I am under the impression this is a gimmick.

I don't see them on allot of race bikes and are there any cars out there using this?

I will admit they look sweet but it too much money for stylin  
whistling.gif

Nope, not a gimmick. If they were simply bling, I wouldn't bother with them.

For the casual rider, the benefit is, admittedly, incremental in nature.... less unsprung weight, primarily. They are also purported to run a touch cooler than solid rotors.

For the more aggressive rider who is really in tune with what the front end is doing at any given time, the additional benefits are a greater initial bite (a fairly important consideration), and greater feedback throughout the braking evolution. The latter does not happen, however, if one retains those spongy-ass stock rubber lines. Dumping them for SS lines should be considered a mandatory exercise, if one is serious about their brakes. They are the weakest link in the stock equation.

Regarding the Galfer Waves: one of the reasons they afford greater feedback through the braking evolution is due to the fact they continuously provide a fresh "biting" surface on the brake pad as the scallops and ovals scrape across the pad surface, which tend to both keep the pad surface "clean" and release any built-up brake pad gases which occurs from being in constant contact with the disks.

Next time you are around a set of Galfer Waves, run your finger (lightly!) along the edge of one of the internal oval cutouts. These are some razor-sharp edges.... now imagine them being pressed against the brake pad with the major-league force produced in the hydraulic circuit. This is why brake pad lifespan using the Galfer rotors is a bit less than with stock rotors... continuous cleaning, which means (obviously) a slightly greater rate of pad material being removed compared to stock.

All the above loveliness having been said..... truthfully, black954 is spot on the money with his comments regarding the front brake master cylinder.

It is hard for me to accept that Suzuki is still using this ancient-ass POS front master cylinder that they have used on many of their big bikes for a couple decades now. We now have modern radial brake calipers; why didn't Suzuki go the extra mile and put a modern radial master cylinder here on their "flagship" model?
dunno.gif

For me (personally), I have a lot of connections in the bike accessory world, and was able to score all the hardware I did at a rather significant discount. If I did not have these connections, the most cost-effective way to address the K8 braking issues would be a killer Brembo 19 x 18 Radial Master Cylinder and a set of quality SS lines.

This be The $hit right here, my bruthas....
cool.gif

BK008.jpg

Nope, not a gimmick. If they were simply bling, I wouldn't bother with them.

For the casual rider, the benefit is, admittedly, incremental in nature.... less unsprung weight, primarily. They are also purported to run a touch cooler than solid rotors.

For the more aggressive rider who is really in tune with what the front end is doing at any given time, the additional benefits are a greater initial bite (a fairly important consideration), and greater feedback throughout the braking evolution. The latter does not happen, however, if one retains those spongy-ass stock rubber lines. Dumping them for SS lines should be considered a mandatory exercise, if one is serious about their brakes. They are the weakest link in the stock equation.

Regarding the Galfer Waves: one of the reasons they afford greater feedback through the braking evolution is due to the fact they continuously provide a fresh "biting" surface on the brake pad as the scallops and ovals scrape across the pad surface, which tend to both keep the pad surface "clean" and release any built-up brake pad gases which occurs from being in constant contact with the disks.

Next time you are around a set of Galfer Waves, run your finger (lightly!) along the edge of one of the internal oval cutouts. These are some razor-sharp edges.... now imagine them being pressed against the brake pad with the major-league force produced in the hydraulic circuit. This is why brake pad lifespan using the Galfer rotors is a bit less than with stock rotors... continuous cleaning, which means (obviously) a slightly greater rate of pad material being removed compared to stock.

All the above loveliness having been said.....  truthfully, black954 is spot on the money with his comments regarding the front brake master cylinder.

It is hard for me to accept that Suzuki is still using this ancient-ass POS front master cylinder that they have used on many of their big bikes for a couple decades now. We now have modern radial brake calipers; why didn't Suzuki go the extra mile and put a modern radial master cylinder here on their "flagship" model?  
dunno.gif

For me (personally), I have a lot of connections in the bike accessory world, and was able to score all the hardware I did at a rather significant discount. If I did not have these connections, the most cost-effective way to address the K8 braking issues would be a killer Brembo 19 x 18 Radial Master Cylinder and a set of quality SS lines.

This be The $hit right here, my bruthas....  
cool.gif

BK008.jpg
Thanks for your feedback warchild

But if these things are true where is the following in racing to this product?

As far as the scalloped rotors cleaning the brake surface isn't this what all the holes in the round rotor do also while dissipating heat?

Also with less surface to exert braking forces wouldn't that lead one to believe there are less braking going on?

I would like to see an unbiased source and scientific evidence for the claims made for these style rotors that do not steer back to someone profiting from them.

Here is another thought, with all the claimed benefits of these style rotors does anyone know of a performance car manufacturer utilizing this type rotor?

Sorry this one is hype until see evidence to the contrary.

If your a street rider,recreational rider, sport rider, daily communter, then I dont see whats wrong with the new radial mounted OEM 08 braking system? they stop the fasted bike in the world, if your competeing , road course , track days etc..... i see the need and value to improve your brakes however for the average street rider? and i would argue that the new 08 brake radial mounted is way better then the old GENI busa and those brakes were fine too, IMO $ could be spent on other goodies then top of the line BREMBO masters, levers etc.....
lurk.gif
I would think Suzuki knew , ensured they had the right stuff in place to stop their monster? it would be irresponsible?

I would suggest spending that coin$ better on suspension. Have the bike set up to handle better under accleration and braking with weight transfer.I personally to slow down, use the "engine braking technique" and still very rarely use the front brakes, just feather them and rear brake is non exsistant. Find nothing wrong with busa OEM Stock brakes. Wave rotors and masters look really cool, they do improve braking, but IMO not nessesary and yes i have ridden busas with stock and aftermarket brake systems, my 08 I will leave stock.

I would suggest spending that coin$ better on suspension. Have the bike set up to handle better under accleration and braking with weight transfer.I personally to slow down, use the "engine braking technique" and still very rarely use the front brakes, just feather them and rear brake is non exsistant. Find nothing wrong with busa OEM Stock brakes. Wave rotors and masters look really cool, they do improve braking, but IMO not nessesary and yes i have ridden busas with stock and aftermarket brake systems, my 08 I will leave stock.
My suspension was set up before the radial pump. I had to adjust the compression dampening 3 clicks to compensate for the difference.

Sorry this one is hype until see evidence to the contrary.
Meh.... that's cool. I learned long ago to avoid being upset regarding what anyone does (or doesn't do) with any info I share on the various forums. Those that know me already know that whatever I write is based upon my personal, direct observation and/or direct experience. (Mind you, these personal experiences may be different than yours... the proverbial "YMMV" factor). What one chooses to do with it is not anything for me to really wire up about. One can choose to believe what I say, not believe, or any combination thereof. I shan't loose sleep one way or the other.

No umbrage taken. It's all good, my brutha.
cool.gif

Still, I can offer up a few replies to your comments. And again, one is free to take the info onboard, discount it entirely, or anything in between. I'm good either way.
winkold.gif

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>

But if these things are true where is the following in racing to this product?[/quote]

Apples and oranges, mang. Racing environment and street environment are two different animals. Look at the MotoGP brake systems.... ceramic composite rotors, carbon/carbon brake systems, etc. Much, MUCH higher heat and forces than what one can (legally) do on the street.

As far as the scalloped rotors cleaning the brake surface isn't this what all the holes in the round rotor do also while dissipating heat?[/quote]

To a degree, but it's not the same as the large oval cutouts on the Galfers. Look at the relative sizes of the small circular holes and their placement. Not samey-same.
smile.gif

Also with less surface to exert braking forces wouldn't that lead one to believe there are less braking going on?[/quote]

It might if surface area contact alone was the sole determining factor in the final braking equation. But it is not. Heat (too little or too much), buildup/release of brake pad gases, pad surface "cleanliness", all these and more make up the final (overall) co-efficient of kinetic friction.

I would like to see an unbiased source and scientific evidence for the claims made for these style rotors that do not steer back to someone profiting from them.[/quote]

Okay.
dunno.gif
I myself tend to use personal, direct observations under conditions that I ride the bike under. Any other study doesn't mean a whole lot to me (personally) except to perhaps form generalized conclusions and/or trending.

Here is another thought, with all the claimed benefits of these style rotors does anyone know of a performance car manufacturer utilizing this type rotor?[/quote]

More apples/oranges, my brutha. Car designers/engineers don't give a flying rat's butt about unsprung weight (to the degree an engineer of a high-performance motorcycle needs to). Too, cars have four massive rubber contact patches and four massive brake calipers to haul their heftiness down from speed. Not quite the case for motorcycles, you'll agree.
winkold.gif

In the final analysis, it all comes down to what the bike is doing for you/not doing for you under your hand, in your riding environment, under your riding style. It's not surprising that for any given scenario, some will claim one set of outcomes, and others claim something entirely different. Unless the two rider are on the identical machine, the identical road course, with exactly the same, have the same suspension settings, have identical riding styles, etc, etc, etc, you'll almost never achieve the same conclusions on every aspect under consideration or discussion.
winkold.gif

winkold.gif

winkold.gif

I would suggest spending that coin$ better on suspension. Have the bike set up to handle better under accleration and braking with weight transfer.I personally  to slow down, use the "engine braking technique" and still very rarely use the front brakes, just feather them and rear brake is non exsistant. Find nothing wrong with busa OEM Stock brakes. Wave rotors and masters look really cool, they do improve braking, but IMO not nessesary and yes i have ridden busas with stock and aftermarket brake systems, my 08 I will leave stock.
My suspension was set up before the radial pump. I had to adjust the compression dampening 3 clicks to compensate for the difference.
Good information thank-you
thumb_up.gif

I was under the impression that the wave rotors dissapate heat faster and are lighter than stock rotors. I have blued my wave rotors, but they haven't warped at all and still stop the same. I will be buying ductile iron rotors as part of my next brake upgrade.

Back