2000 Busa stuttering...Fuel pump or heat sensor?

COLDSTONE1298

Registered
My bike:
2000 busa (about 42,000 on the odometer)
akro 4 into 1 exhaust
Power cmd usb
pair removed/block off plates
K&N ait filter

Been dealing with intermediate stuttering problem for awhile. Things have kept me from getting to the fuel pump but have rode and tried to eliminate other possible causes. Overrode the tip over sensor and kick stand sensor and problem still happens. Usually after a hour of running where bike just falls flat on its face in moderate or hard acceleration shifting from 1st to 2nd or 3rd. Will sometimes stall under hard braking. Already tried seafoam more then a few times but problem still returns so i don't think its anything in my tank. Thing is the past couple of weeks have been cold. Warmest being 65 degrees. Have also switched from 89 sunoco to 93 BP. Outside temp when getting home has been as low as 48 degrees. Thing is the bike has run GREAT throughout these cold temp days. No stuttering whatsoever and it has been run hard and the gas tank ran a quarter away from empty. Before this cold snap we had one warm day (85 degrees) and after a hour or so of easy running the bike started acting up again. Got in traffic for a bit so it got even more heatsoaked. Was about a half mile from home and just cruising when i shifted into 3rd and the bike stuttered and bucked worse then ever about 4 times then died. Pulled over and tried to refire it 4 times with no success. After thumbing the handlebar idle adjuster up a bit the bike finally restarted and I nursed it home. Once again in cold weather riding it has been excellent. Today it was a high of 82, tank was full of 93 bp fuel and after a hour of riding it started up again. Same power loss between gear shifts and stalled under hard braking at a light. The FI light never comes on and no codes show up on display (haven't done the paperclip mod though) when this happens.

Can this still be a fuel pump issue or a heat sensor gone bad? If it was the pump going south or clogged screens then why has the bike ran like a champ in daytime temps of 60 degrees or less?? If it could be a temp sensor going bad which one should i go after?

Here's a pic of the hoses...AutoZone had a 2' piece of Fuel Injection Hose for $3 or $4 dollars, cut it in half and used it for both the sending and return. They are different diameters from the factory, but I used the same (5/16 ID, I think) for both and it works fine. I probably should have cut another inch or 2 off each piece, because they were still a little long. Replaced the clamps, also.

plugs 007.jpg

possible inlet air temp sensor,ecm uses the air temp to help control how much fuel is being added to engine.if it fails it should read cold.when cold the ecm dumps extra fuel to help in vaporization.causing it to flood engine when hot.maybe test that sensor as well.my .02

You're talking about a 10 year old bike, I'd change out the fuel hoses even if it's not the problem. You said it's not triggering the FI light, but check for codes and I'd check the IAT (intake air temp) sensor for proper volts ohms.

IAT.jpg

IAT.jpg

You may have a couple of things going on, I've own my 2000 busa for right at ten years. I just built my 1441cc engine in this bike but when it was stock
I had problems with the lines kinking really bad and the bike would bog down and cut off. I ended up putting still braided lines in my bike to keep this from happening. I also had a problem with clogged fuel injectors strainers. The bike would stutter and had no power, I ended up pulling them out with needle nose pliers and running in line filters. The bike really woke up. The fuel pump in the 99 and 2000 busa is weak and will go out sooner or later. I run an airtex fuel pump (Autozone 125 psi) with a fuel pressure regulator (aeromotive), Ive had no problems since.

i have been having the same problem for months.. when everything was replaced i was told all i needed was a dyno. rode for a day without any issues. then bam same studdering all over again. took it in for dyno and the tech told me that its running :thumbsup:but he cant figure out why i might only get 50 miles on a full tank :banghead:. any suggestions

changed the fuel lines today and after 3 minutes of idling in 89degree weather she sputtered and died. Tried running with the gas tank propped up and it seemed ok but still stuttered a bit when gunning the engine. Tried disconnecting the power commander and running on the stock box after it was well heated up and it seemed to run ok. May test ride it like this but not sure what to go after next. Fuel pump or sensors.. toying with the idea again of taking it to a dealership hoping they could diagnose the problem atleast but, i don't know.

Back