2 up riding concerns

i would be more worried about the passenger. Might want to "break her in" with shorter rides involving less twisties. Might help you get a feel of how 2 up riding is as well and as some have already mentioned, a few things change when u ride 2 up. Good luck, be safe, and enjoy.

The Busa handles two up very well. Just take it easy on the throttle, so you don't lose your wife and if this is her first longer ride, stop every 40 miles and take a little break.

I second that lol you might want to break her in on smaller rides at first:whistle: She will be moving around alot trying to get comfy on that long of a ride. Good luck and have fun:thumbsup:

no stress on the Busa at all, it's just going to take a few miles for you to adjust your riding style to accomodate the added weight...i've traveled thousands of miles with a lot of different passengers from newbies that were scared to death to experienced riders that jumped on ready to go

if your taking a new rider, take your time and go about 10-20 mph slower than you think she will be comfortable with...then, let her tell you when to speed up...this gives them a sense of feeling in control and you won't scare them so bad they never want to ride again...it won't take long for them to start getting used to being on the back and you can share a lifetime (or a couple weeks :laugh:) enjoying the sport you love :beerchug:

She handles nicely two-up.:laugh:

GPS.jpg

GPS2.jpg

By the way, we have a speed bump close to the house. My Harley one-up the rear suspension bumps through at 20mph. The Busa 2-up I can go as fast as I want, never had my suspension bottom out.

GPS.jpg

GPS2.jpg

wife was real sketchy at first on get on the back of the bike, but now every time i crank the bike up she comes running with her gear. sometimes i don't even know she's back there, even in the twisties.

Two up sport riding is the ticket. It can be taken as far as the imagination allows. From shipping fresh clothing to and from a destination for the longer weeks of road tripping to same with mounted fresh rubber and anywhere inbetween like ditching the cheaper clothing items and buying new along the way. Killing tires shouldn't stop the longer trips - and don't when planned out :thumbsup:

Suggest to line out enough hand signals or leg taps between passenger and rider so to know when on cruise mode and photo taking can be done while underway or the
< get ready, here comes 9/10ths fun > kinda thing. Gives the passenger a heads up and you can never let them down which engraves trust. They need to ride loose and be in the know of what's happening up front. Same trust thing from the passenger, alway's be in the moment and signal a stop or slow down is needed and such. Sort problem out then. Don't be back there wiggling around turning 360's trying to see something way back behind the bike <glove?>. It will still be there after turning around.

We don't do electronics like communications and such nor take many photo stops. More total pics actually come from it . Yet, to each their own so all you that loves wet weather riding gets a double thumbs up :thumbsup:

Trip123.jpg

Trip093.jpg

I got the Vinxxgrip handlebars for my wife to hold onto. This probably isn't the best solution for cross-country trips, but if you want to really get on the gas or turns, this helps. It makes the passenger one with the bike rather than a moving object that sways differently than you do. It also detaches quickly from the bike so you don't have to put up with it when you don't have a passenger on. I highly recommend it. :beerchug:

Poignees_Passager_Moto_Vinxxgrip_st2pz.jpg

I second all the great advice given already. My wife and I have been riding 2 up for almost 30 years now. Just recently, my son got on the back of the Busa. He's not an experienced passenger. What a huge difference that makes. What a wiggle worm. He'll learn quickly what it means when he starts riding with passengers.

The bike will do fine, and as posted already, she needs to stay put, she can also help you by planting her hands on the tank. Big help on stops.

Obviously get use to it.
+1 Make sure she takes her rings off. When cruising she can relax and hold on around your waist however when riding twisty roads and making stops, she should basically form a triangle with her thumbs and index fingers at the center of the tank. This will help her keep from sliding forward and give your wrists a break.

on kromdom's first pic (big girl on stretched orange honda). the girl and the tank both need stronger bras!

Guys and girls, the feedback we are getting from you all has been great! My wife and I have been reading through the replys and taking notes, we even appreciate the humor that made it here as well, nice pix guys:rofl:

We are very excited to get out there this Sunday and will take some pix to share with you all. Knowing that so many have been riding the busa 2up helps with my confidence and I'm sure both girls (my wife and bike) will be just fine....

However, as noted by 'newman' as the manual states (still have to peek at my manual to confirm) we are really putting the weight limit uncomfortably close to the max, hopefully there is some built in wiggle room when Suzuki stated this max weight limit otherwise I'll be doing a lot of :please: (praying)! At least I have removed the stock exhaust for a 4-2-1 M4 and as the M4 website stated I lost 35 pounds doing so... Anyway, please keep the educational posts coming and a few more funny pix never hurt!

We both thank you again!

In the Busa Manual it gives a max weight of 985 lbs including bike weight, so bike weighs 573 lbs plus your 400 lbs= 973 lbs. Now I'm worried because I weigh 270 lbs and my girlfriend 238 lbs so we are well over the limit, the bike handles ok but is it dangerous ?. And I tell my girlfriend don't take your feet off the foot rests, don't panic whatever happens and don't fidget around. Ride safe.

Me and Gina1.jpg

Anyway, please keep the educational posts coming and a few more funny pix never hurt!

We both thank you again!

Tell your wife that IF she does not behave as a passenger, then you may be forced to make her sit in these ALTERNATE spots :whistle: (pics were posted here in the past already).
P.S. I personally would not mind the 1st one....double the pleasure, double the fun (yeeeeee-haaaaa)

better-than-walking.jpg

funny-rider.jpg

vegetables.jpg

I ride 2 up on the busa at one time pretty often, now not as much since she rides. But when she does jump on the back, she likes having the grab rail there. On the straight aways, she will lean back and hold it. This helps reduce the wear and tear on her back. But when we go for a more paced ride. I take her hands and place them on the tank in the triangle position RacerV mentioned. It gives her the security that she isnt going to fall off going left or right. It also gives a second chance to hold on to your hips if she loses her triangle in the tank. Another suggestion is to go to a parking lot that is clean and practice riding with her at slower speeds and do figure 8's and weaving. Also practice braking at different speeds. First start slowly and then work your way up. This will give her an idea how hard and fast the bike can stop. This helps in stupid emergency braking situations etc. This will also teach you to use the brakes differently too when you ride two up. I use more rear brake, due to more weight on the rear. Again the more time you spend with her on the bike, the more you both become one with the machine. It is like dancing, at first you both step on each others toes, then after a while its like magic! You almost can not tell she is on the back! Until she taps your chest to slow down because your doing 100+ in and out of corners!:whistle:

I have a 2011 and ride 2 up with my wife and daughter a lot. I just add one notch to the rear suspension from what my normal setting is and make sure the tires are full pressure.

Back