Setting Up Busa for Touring - need suggestions

jbulkin

Registered
I'm going to be setting up my 09 Busa for some long distance rides with my wife (got rid of our FJR b/c of the fond memories of my 05 Busa that I had to sell). Here's what I'm thinking to maximize comfort for myself and my wife:

1. Bubble windshield (any better suggestions?)

2. Helibars and 1 1/4 Genmars

3. Lowering the rear 2' (does this help?)

4. lowering the pegs

5. Corbin seat with passenger backrest

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

The most you can go with genmar riser while using Heli bars is 3/4" without hitting the screen even then you will need to tip the clutch and brake levers down abit.. Then I would look into the Buell peg mod from member here do a search.. Some sort of a cruise control, Thottle miester is very popular.. Corbin front and rear saddles.. Then for a screen I would suggest MRA windscreen link below...

TwistedThrottle.com

I am running all the above and do 1800 miles in 3 days pretty easy.. :thumbsup:

2nd gen Vario Touring screen.jpg

Last edited:
DR1300R , I also want to try the MRA VARIO windscreen :beerchug:
I had one on my V-STROM :thumbsup:

I've got the Nelson-Riggs softbags. They look good and install and remove very easy without brackets, etc. I just take them off and carry them into the room at the end of the day like luggage :thumbsup:

How about a nice set of TraX Alu-Boxes by SW-Motech?? :laugh: :thumbsup:

I just got these babies on last week, the "bags" come off in about 5 seconds each. The bags and mounting rack come off in less than 2 mins.

No more bungee-cording bags onto my rear seat for trips! LOL

100_1957.jpg

100_1956.jpg

The most you can go with genmar riser while using Heli bars is 3/4" without hitting the screen even then you will need to tip the clutch and brake levers down abit.. Then I would look into the Buell peg mod from member here do a search.. Some sort of a cruise control, Thottle miester is very popular.. Corbin front and rear saddles.. Then for a screen I would suggest MRA windscreen link below...

TwistedThrottle.com

I am running all the above and do 1800 miles in 3 days pretty easy.. :thumbsup:

I went ahead and ordered my MRA touring screen today...... most I've ever spent on a screen, but I have a feeling it's going to worth it.

Other touring bits...

Buell pegs
Soupys 1â€￾ bar risers
Ram mount for GPS, Radar ect
Mirror extenders
Soft bags

geeezzz now I want to go ride. :beerchug:

Get a hold of Pashnit he is a sponsor and will have everything you need. :thumbsup:

I've got the Nelson-Riggs softbags. They look good and install and remove very easy without brackets, etc. I just take them off and carry them into the room at the end of the day like luggage :thumbsup:

chance of a few pics of these bags on bike? thanks!

A few observations.

1. The MRA touring shield is a very high quality piece and I am sure you will enjoy it. Probably not as much as the FJR's electrically adjustable unit but? I have the ZG Touring shield and it works well but is not adjustable.
2. You can run the Helibar/Genmar tall risers together but I would recommend that you also get longer brake and clutch lines to avoid binding. I have this setup and as mentioned above they do require trimming the windshield a little in the corners. No big deal. Going to a tubular bar or variable position (ala Gilles) clip on style bar would be the best route though. Not all people are built the same and the ability to change the bar position would be a huge benefit. There is an aesthetic trade off here though. Also with the Tubular bar you can easily install a Bar snake or lead shot to kill the vibes if need be.
3. Lowering the rear will most likely slow the steering down a bunch. That is a pretty radical attitude change from stock and one I would have a real hard time recommending. I would leave this decision until you have done all your other mods!
4. As mentioned the Buell pegs are a favorite around here. I use them and like them a lot. Just be aware that they have a few quirks which need to be adapted to. Shifter height and post length are the primary ones, side stand interference and ground clearance are the secondary ones. Their are a few alternatives such as the MFW Vario pegs or the GSG versions. Assuming rearsets are out of the question here.
5. I have the Corbin seat and like it a lot but be advised it is not the best choice for around town work.
6. A good cruise control/throttle lock is a good idea. I am running a NEP cruise with a crampbuster.
7. A cheap set of grip heaters are amazingly useful! One of the best bang for the buck mods I have done.

How much are the nelson-riggs bags. They look alright and would be useful on longer trips. Can you use them without the center bag?

Back