2 up riding concerns

OldMan

Registered
I finally got my wife to agree to a ride this Sunday! I took her last night for an around the block ride just to try it out. I was kind of surprised at just how much of an impact her added weight had on the bike's ability to maneuver. My wife seems to be a fairly average build at 5'5 and 150 pounds, however I'm not small, at 6'3 and 250. So our combined weight is 400 pounds. My question for all you with 2 up riding experience is "is my 2011 busa going to be alright"? I fear that I may be stressing it. We have a 120 mile ride planned this Sunday and it involves a lot of mountains/twisties... My wife and I appreciate all your feedback and will post our pix on the bike real soon!

absolutely no issues at all. Our combined weight is a little more. My busa is an 09 with 13K kilometers on it now. I have been riding 2 up for over 10 years. The busa can handle it without any issues at all. Couple of tips, Set your front brake leaver to setting 1. Your hand will love you for it. Gear down for your stops, combine both front and rear braking when slowing down. No issues for the busa at all. Your comfort will suck a little from her leaning on you. :laugh:

Max your tire pressures, and ride conservatively until you get used to the different handling characteristics.
Stress the bike.. no.:laugh:

I also have had no issues,,, i stiffen the front & rear shocks and go. I guess you just have to get use to the way it feels.

1zqgbon.jpg
[/IMG]Stress on a 200HP engine with a total weight of less then 1000lbs? Most 4 and 6 cylinder cars dont have 200HP and avg weight is 3300lbs. Do the math. I would increase my shifting RPM no lower then 4500 on level ground.
Becareful of the passenger head buts, with new passengers and be sure she doesnt lean to much, Ive ridden with many passengers some are great some are good and some I just want OFF!! Keep your head distance to prevent helmet head buts, practice your shifting and smoothness is the key.
NO WAY A strain on a 200HP motorcycle.

photostream

Just make sure you take it easy on the turns. Your wife might freak out and suddenly jerk your bike. Tell her "Go with the flow" :laugh:

We have at least 1000 miles two-up. Probably 100 pounds heavier (mostly me) than you guys including my Ventura pack... Just check the tire pressure and you're good to go. I usually run about 38F/40R riding two up. A little less if we're on some good twisty stuff.

As far as leaning, I've always told my wife to lean no more and no less that the bike itself. Just stay in line with the frame and let's roll. I may lean off a little more, but I want her to stay planted.

:rofl: Thanks (LMFAO) over here glad someone else can add some funny images. WOW gives the new meaning to crack!! That should get a ticket for indecent exposure! :rofl: thanks again for pics!!:thumbsup:

can't take credit for these pics....saved them from past threads here. :beerchug:

can't take credit for these pics....saved them from past threads here. :beerchug:

First time I seen them. Always enjoy a good laugh winding down after a long day. Sucks with the rain I couldnt get my need for speed on today so I am resorting to humor to destress. :thumbsup:

The bike will do fine, and as posted already, she needs to stay put, she can also help you by planting her hands on the tank. Big help on stops.

Obviously get use to it.

In the Busa Manual it gives a max weight of 985 lbs including bike weight, so bike weighs 573 lbs plus your 400 lbs= 973 lbs. Now I'm worried because I weigh 270 lbs and my girlfriend 238 lbs so we are well over the limit, the bike handles ok but is it dangerous ?. And I tell my girlfriend don't take your feet off the foot rests, don't panic whatever happens and don't fidget around. Ride safe.

Gear down for your stops, combine both front and rear braking when slowing down.
Which should be done ALL the time for street riding in my opinion: smoother, more predictable, and smoother. No doubt the racing enthusiasts and "instructors" will disagree, but I don't care. We're talking about staying alive on public roads here, not making the shortest time on a private track!
Keep your head distance to prevent helmet head buts, practice your shifting and smoothness is the key.
About half my total miles over the last 35 years of riding have been covered with my wife on the back, with many different bikes over several continents. The comments by Shaft and Yankee sum it up: keep it smooooooth! I believe riding with a passenger really makes you hone your street skills because (a) it makes you change gear and use your brakes smoothly, and your passenger will be only to eager to tell you if you don't (particularly if the passenger is your wife), (b) it makes you anticipate corners and focus on changing direction more efficiently, and (c) it makes you even more aware of potential dangers because you're carrying precious cargo.

Some bikes are naturally better with passengers than others and all the best I have found have the pillion riding at the same level on the seat as the rider and are heavier bikes. The Busa is about in the middle I believe. But the skill of the person on the back of the bike makes a huge difference. My wife has covered so many miles with me that I barely notice any difference now.

i would be more worried about the passenger. Might want to "break her in" with shorter rides involving less twisties. Might help you get a feel of how 2 up riding is as well and as some have already mentioned, a few things change when u ride 2 up. Good luck, be safe, and enjoy.

Back