2 newbie questions PLZ LOOK

SxLxAxVxExN

Registered
I've had my 07 for a few months now and all I did so far is lower her about 1 inch in the front and middle setting in the rear and did a dubble bubble windshield.

Ive got 2 questions though.

1st. I see a lot of busas with the rear hump that have the stock handle in the rear, how does this work cause mine wouldnt fit???

2nd. How low can the front be dropped without damaging anything, cause I want to lower the front end some more. The forks are sticking out about 1/4 inch now. Thanks

(SxLxAxVxExN @ Jul. 04 2007,18:27) I've had my 07 for a few months now and all I did so far is lower her about 1 inch in the front and middle setting in the rear and did a dubble bubble windshield.

Ive got 2 questions though.

1st. I see a lot of busas with the rear hump that have the stock handle in the rear, how does this work cause mine wouldnt fit???

2nd. How low can the front be dropped without damaging anything, cause I want to lower the front end some more.   The forks are sticking out about 1/4 inch now.   Thanks
People do what is refered to as the "Grab Bar" mod to put the hump on with the bar installed; it is done using a dremel and making a notch for the bar... people have lots of opinions about doing it...
Can't help you much on lowering, just because I haven't done it...

+1 on what MC MUSTANG said about the grabrail mod all you have to do is go slow and be careful when you make the cut.And as far lowering,im down 2" in the front and im a heavy guy too and I have yet to have any problems other that the header dragging a little if I go to fast over a speed bump or nasty railroad crossing.Hope this helps.

Nick

ok thanks, so i can drop it about one more inch in the front. i'll just slam it in the rear. I'll try the dremel as well but do I cut the hump or the bar?? Any pics on where to cut?

What I did for the hump mod is carefully by eye,  stand over the back of the bike and lay the hump where it would normally go resting on the grab bar.
You have to look directly down on it and line up the profile with the tail section opening.  Then I placed a small dot where the front of the grab bar
starts and one in the back, both sides.  I think the notch itself is about 1/2" deep, but I masked the area to be dremeled out with electrical tape, staying in a good 1/8" all around for fitting.  I then used the bit that looked like a mini saw blade and cut the upper horizontal portion of the notch.  Make sure to brace the hump and your hand, so you don't slip and run the dremel across the whole hump.....or your finger.
wink.gif

Next I did both verticals and removed the chunk of plastic.   Do one side at a time untill you're ready to fit/trim/fit.
Getting the notch lined up front to back is mosty important.  Keep eyeballing the hump straight down from the top to check your progress untill the hump sides do sit on the handrail flange.  Then you just use your flush trim bit on #4 speed to perfect the trim untill you hear the hump "click" into position.  I have about 1/16" all around the notch just for expansion/contraction.
Good luck.

p.s.-  I don't lower bikes, I'm into performance.  If anything I'm raising mine 1".

Any change would upset the performance. Some do raise the arse 1" for clearance. Some go with the 190/55 as well. I would tune the suspension using Jinks data.

I don't like or need the grab bar mod, but lots of folks do. I would be careful. Good luck
beerchug.gif

Back