2,444 Smiles thru five states in eight days

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
I figured to pass 80,000 but I actually passed 81,033 miles. Bike ran perfectly all the way up to 9,945’ (twice) on my way out and on the way back over the Tioga Pass (inside Yosemite) just up the road. :) Three of the seven nights on the road I managed to escape riding in the rain by minutes after getting to a motel. In Lolo, literally by seconds! I had noticed the road was still wet heading east on hiway 12 towards Lolo but the sky was clear. Storms up there come and go within minutes but they carry a lot of water when the sky opens up. Very lucky. I carry Frogg Toggs but riding in the rain isn’t fun. Lots of Harleys on the road, lots and lots. Three in Lolo had NY and PA plates! Some Wings and some BMWs but not one Hayabusa. Saw a group of ‘adventure‘ bikes in Idaho, two Tigers, two Teneres, a KTM, a BMW, an African Twin and a very unusual Norden 901, made by Husqvarna I think. Odd looking. Saw an odd couple loading their huge late model Indian. He must have been 6’6” but his wife was a little person, about 3’ tall. The passenger pegs on their Indian (did) look a little high…Also noticed a new Goldwing had a mono shock (front) suspension. The owner said it was a 2023. What was/is BMWs version called, Telelever or Duolever? It looked quite large, like a truck shock. I suppose Honda knows best, they’ve been making an ever larger Goldwing since 1975. Still under powered and too heavy to interest me though. Piloting 1,300-1,400+ pounds riding two up loaded for touring must be an experience especially at slow speeds.

As for Suzuki’s Hayabusa, they certainly did it right. Mine is 17 years old and the motor has never been touched, original starter, original clutch, everything, and I’ve never even had the fuel filter out. Of course I’ve always had good maintenance using Amsoil and OEM or K&N oil filters. I did notice the front Pilot Road 2 was thinning out and recalled it was older than the rear. Calculated its mileage after I got home and it had 8,693 miles on it. Time to find another. The rear has around 5,000 on it and looks fine. Just five states but it felt like more. Because of the route I chose I went from CA then NV, OR, ID, OR, ID, MT, ID, OR, CA, NV and back to CA. Now, I’ll pay good money for someone to clean my bike!:laugh:

IMG_6083.jpeg

IMG_6086.jpeg

IMG_6094.jpeg

IMG_6093.jpeg

IMG_6113.jpeg

IMG_6114.jpeg

IMG_6115.jpeg

IMG_6119.jpeg

IMG_6138.jpeg

IMG_6126.jpeg

IMG_6132.jpeg

IMG_6136.jpeg

IMG_6142.jpeg

IMG_6140.jpeg

IMG_6153.jpeg

IMG_6156.jpeg

IMG_6159.jpeg

IMG_6160.jpeg

I figured to pass 80,000 but I actually passed 81,033 miles. Bike ran perfectly all the way up to 9,945’ (twice) on my way out and on the way back over the Tioga Pass (inside Yosemite) just up the road. :) Three of the seven nights on the road I managed to escape riding in the rain by minutes after getting to a motel. In Lolo, literally by seconds! I had noticed the road was still wet heading east on hiway 12 towards Lolo but the sky was clear. Storms up there come and go within minutes but they carry a lot of water when the sky opens up. Very lucky. I carry Frogg Toggs but riding in the rain isn’t fun. Lots of Harleys on the road, lots and lots. Three in Lolo had NY and PA plates! Some Wings and some BMWs but not one Hayabusa. Saw a group of ‘adventure‘ bikes in Idaho, two Tigers, two Teneres, a KTM, a BMW, an African Twin and a very unusual Norden 901, made by Husqvarna I think. Odd looking. Saw an odd couple loading their huge late model Indian. He must have been 6’6” but his wife was a little person, about 3’ tall. The passenger pegs on their Indian (did) look a little high…Also noticed a new Goldwing had a mono shock (front) suspension. The owner said it was a 2023. What was/is BMWs version called, Telelever or Duolever? It looked quite large, like a truck shock. I suppose Honda knows best, they’ve been making an ever larger Goldwing since 1975. Still under powered and too heavy to interest me though. Piloting 1,300-1,400+ pounds riding two up loaded for touring must be an experience especially at slow speeds.

As for Suzuki’s Hayabusa, they certainly did it right. Mine is 17 years old and the motor has never been touched, original starter, original clutch, everything, and I’ve never even had the fuel filter out. Of course I’ve always had good maintenance using Amsoil and OEM or K&N oil filters. I did notice the front Pilot Road 2 was thinning out and recalled it was older than the rear. Calculated its mileage after I got home and it had 8,693 miles on it. Time to find another. The rear has around 5,000 on it and looks fine. Just five states but it felt like more. Because of the route I chose I went from CA then NV, OR, ID, OR, ID, MT, ID, OR, CA, NV and back to CA. Now, I’ll pay good money for someone to clean my bike!:laugh:

View attachment 1670477

View attachment 1670478

View attachment 1670479

View attachment 1670480

View attachment 1670481

View attachment 1670482

View attachment 1670483

View attachment 1670484

View attachment 1670485

View attachment 1670486

View attachment 1670487

View attachment 1670488

View attachment 1670489

View attachment 1670490

View attachment 1670491

View attachment 1670492

View attachment 1670493

View attachment 1670494
Great looking Bike and beautiful places to ride.

Epic journey on an epic bike.....proof positive that the Hayabusa platform was way ahead of it's time and very versatile.....

Too bad there aren't more around the roads though....

Tell us about your "touring kit" please.

Kit? I bring a small ratchet and extension along with hex sockets in case I have to lift the tank, remove the seat or side fairing. A couple screwdrivers, needle nose pliers and the OEM tool kit. In all my travels I’ve never had to use any of them. I have a RoadLok rear rotor lock installed so I bring an extra key for it, a disc lock and key for the front rotor. A cover to keep the frost off the seats although it’s not water proof. Plus, I’d prefer no one knows a Hayabusa is under it in a motel parking lot. A small can of chain lube and a Quick Stand to lift the rear for lubing or chain adjusting if needed. I almost never have to adjust it on the road and didn’t this time either. Had a new chain, sprockets and Cush drive recently. I made up some extended ‘bungee/net’ posts so the hooks don’t mar the paint as shown in the pic.

I use a 22” seatbag held tight by two cris crossed HD bungees. Over it I also use two nets intertwined so they’re adjustable to put any layers (extra shirts, gloves) or whatever, so I don’t have to get inside the seatbag. Also a tire repair kit and CO2 cartridges and a recently bought air compressor just in case. The only flat I’ve ever had was on tour years ago on my 79 CBX but the hole was too big to plug or patch. Had to buy a tire so I used my tow company to flatbed me from WA to ID a 106 miles away to find a tire that fit. RVRoadhelp is the best, covered by Allstate although you don’t have to have regular Allstate insurance. They’ll tow me to wherever I have to go to get fixed with no mileage limits like AAA for example. Also Frogg Toggs just in case. They pack small and flat. Also 2-3 cleaning towels, 12”x12”. You’ll need them for shield cleaning. Some days riding thru miles of farmland, I’ll have to clean the bugs off more than once a day. Forget about cleaning the bike until you’re home. As for clothing, that depends on how long the tour is. I also bring a tankbag that serves as my cooler with two sheets of refreezable ice packs to keep my water and soda bottles cold. In the summer I’ll bring a water cooled vest and neck roll. I think that about covers it.

What’s really cool is the feeling on the third day when you’re packed and ready to go. You feel (so) much more part of the machine. Riding, turning, leaning, all become more natural and comfortable. You don’t get that experience riding short mileage day rides on the weekend. It’s really a great experience.

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_6168.jpeg

Terrific pictures Terry! Looks like a great adventure.
Thanks Tim. They’re just from my iPhone. I’m thinking of another ride, starting here and riding hiway 49 north until it ends then west thru Lassen NP then north into Oregon south of Klamath Falls then up thru Crater Lake NP then west past Grants Pass to the coast coming onto 101 above Crescent City then south thru the Avenue to Leggett and hiway 1 south to Mt. Tamalpais up and over back to 101 at Mill Valley. Whaddyathink? Looks like a good ride for your tours too. 5-6 days maybe?

Having 81K miles on a Busa is really amazing considering it isn't in the same class as a Goldwing, HD, BMW K1600, etc that are primarily made for touring purposes.
It's a testament to the build quality. versatility and reliability of Busas. There are probably some Busas that have more mileage but not many more I'd wager.

Having 81K miles on a Busa is really amazing considering it isn't in the same class as a Goldwing, HD, BMW K1600, etc that are primarily made for touring purposes.
It's a testament to the build quality. versatility and reliability of Busas. There are probably some Busas that have more mileage but not many more I'd wager.

I don’t doubt it but add to that, it was manufactured In December of 05, bought by me in February of 06 so it’s been on the road for 17&1/2 years and is un modified. The OEM cans have been powder coated and it has a Throttlemeister and a RoadLok rear disc lock but other than that it’s original and untouched. Well, not completely untouched. I changed rotors @ 65,000 miles to Arashis and I’ve had three sets of fork seals over the years. Oh, I never leave the driveway w/o my trusty Valentine One.:cool:

I carry a few tools in my tank bag. Funny that I forgot about the factory kit.

All I’ve ever used from the OEM kit is the axle wrench. I’ve always carried some tools too but have never needed any of them, on my Hondas or Suzukis. I’ve had towing coverage for years too and only needed it once. Without it my tow would’ve cost me hundreds. Insurance is good peace of mind. Needing a tow a hundred+ miles from home w/o insurance can not only be a huge PITA but also quite expensive.

Back