1999 busa. Been sitting for 17yrs

20230922_165557.jpg

20230922_165219.jpg

These 2 show 2 areas that show evidence of something leaking. The pipe in the top photo has some sort of oily residue on it. The second photo doesn't show it well, but there is a brownish hue streaking down the aluminum of the frame from below the corner of the tank down to the area around the swingarm bolt and kickstand. Due to the corrosion of the kickstand, and everything around it, I'm assuming this was a fuel leak

The new starter covers were installed by the shop I found it at, they are supposedly 03+ but they didn't replace the starter.
From everything I've read about the starter issues and upgrading to 03+ am i correct in believing that i will need the 03+ starter before trying to turn this thing over?
I put marvel mystery oil down each cylinder.
on the plus side the tb boots look great, coils look good (no dry rot or oil), etc. However the fuel lines and every vaccum line i could see are all dry rotted and cracked and the tubes above the exhaust manifold (oil returns? The appear to run to a little pump located at the bottom front of the engine) are pretty rusty.
Current plan is to try and turn the bike over tomorrow by hand, remove the tank and fuel lines, clean/replace air filter and fuel filter, verify the fuel pump still works, pull injectors and clean/check they pulse, verify whether this starter will work or replace with 03+, oil change, then hopefully try and fire it. I know that may seem premature, but it will help identify any leaky gaskets, o rings, lines, etc.
20230922_165712.jpg

20230922_165402.jpg

I’m not convinced that the crud and corrosion that’s covering the bike came from anything from the bike. Gas or brake fluid shouldn’t do what is seen everywhere. The only other fluid on the bike would be coolant or oil and engine or fork oil would rot the side stand like that. The hoses and everything rubber could rot from age but the severe level of degradation you’ve shown had to have come from some other source and not just age and neglect. In any event, replacing or rebuilding stuff is certainly what you’re gonna have to do.

Oh my dear, it looks like it has been in a very bad damp storage place. Perhaps driven in winter condition with salt sprinkled on it and put away like that. This really requires a lot more attention than just replacing some fluid. I'm even afraid that it is best to open the engine once to check the condition of the cylinders, pistons, piston rings and camshafts. Good luck.

holy sh..

how much corrosion all around

my hint would be to put the entire bike into its smallest ieces and restore or change to new ones.

NOT to forget to clean deep and regrease really ALL chassis bearings.

what u may will find at the calipers see here at my homepage - the 2. negative example

and download the gen1 manual 4 ur ´99 (?) here
plus
the microfiches there to find out which art.-no´s you need for "new" parts.

Those tubes above the exhaust are part of the PAIR system and you can get block off plates and eliminate those along with the pump.

I concur, this bike has been stored in a moist environment which will make your work much harder when restoring it....I'd be replacing all hoses and lines, and just like @Berlin Germany said, rebuilding all the calipers and replacing all seals, fluids and bearings (wheel, swingarm and steering head)...

But I know you want to get it running first so at least you know that part is working......the fuel system needs a complete rebuild from the gas tank to the injectors.

You are definitely going to have your hands full but time is on your side as you probably aren't in a big hurry and of course we are all here as a collective to help walk you through the process....

what i forgott in my 1st post
is the question what price did u pay for that - sorry - scrappy ´n crappy thing ?

i estimate the expected costs for a perfect restoration to be easily €2500, if not more.
the used fuel pump price alone (external version) will shock you ,
barely worth paying new
etc. etc.
does the starter work? its new price here in germany is around 770€ :eek::shocked: around 770€ :banghead:

wow, as a project, could be a good one to spend your time on, but best start browsing some oem parts in used condition, cause even then....this project is gonna cost you more then a used busa. But if your up to it, dont think about the money and have fun doing it....in my better days i would have done the same. So start stripping, get your blowtorch out and get all these rusted parts off, and enjoy.
Loads of good folks on here that will help you out when stuck...have fun bro.

is the question what price did u pay for that - sorry - scrappy ´n crappy thing ?

i estimate the expected costs for a perfect restoration to be easily €2500, if not more.
barely worth paying new
etc. etc.
does the starter work? its new price here in germany is around 770€ :eek::shocked: around 770€ :banghead:
you mean stator or startmotor? Cause i never understand why folks would buy a new startmotor....its always the brushes that are gone, the rest is cleaning and measuring, and worst case scenario...pop op a new bearing.

As others have mentioned this likely needs to be a full strip and replace/rebuild. Dont be in too much of a hurry to start it up if the internals are in any way as bad a shape as the photos shown. Brakes, Suspension etc. are all surely in bad shape. Fun project if you have the space/time/funds to do it. Best of luck.

you mean stator or startmotor? Cause i never understand why folks would buy a new startmotor....its always the brushes that are gone, the rest is cleaning and measuring, and worst case scenario...pop op a new bearing.
the start motor - rh - behind the cyl. block

and btw
the stator could also be "in danger" to be damaged / faulty caused by its age.

The starter is in question because I was of the understanding that the 99-02 starter wouldn't work with 03+ covers and gears. Which supposedly the shop that replaced them replaced them with 03+, have yet to remove and verify.
Trust me if this wasn't my uncles bike I probably wouldn't be so willing to bring it back to life.
That being said yeah cheapest I've found an external fuel pump is $500, starter is $250 for green label 03+, injectors are $100+, coil packs are insane. So far the parts list is $2500-3k just for the basic poop haha.

barely worth paying new
etc. etc.
Way too much simply because it was my uncles bike, and first bike I ever rode. Crazy enough it's been parked in a garage where he also stored snowmobiles and parked his car. None of which are corroded this way.

Way too much simply because it was my uncles bike, and first bike I ever rode. Crazy enough it's been parked in a garage where he also stored snowmobiles and parked his car. None of which are corroded this way.
This bike will be a labor of love....getting it running and doing it right is paramount...

I've known lots of people in the same situation as you are.....you will get it done, it won't be easy or inexpensive but in the end, you will have a big smile on your face and that's the reward.

Back