2000 hayabusa has been sitting about 4.5 years

busabeast2000

Registered
Hey my new girlfriends dad passed away about 6 years ago and his 2000 hayabusa has now been sitting for around 4.5 years. I convinced my gf to let me fix it and have it so now im just trying to get a general idea of what needs to be done before i even attempt to start it up. any information is helpful and the more detail the better. I've had bike before but this is my first hayabusa. I already know new tired, sprockets, chain, and brakes are going to be needed before i start riding it, right now im just trying to get it started. thank you in advanced for all information i recieve

You'll need a battery of course, and I would change that oil and filter, make sure the fuel system is clean and hand turn that motor before attempting to crank it. Experts will be along so. I'm not one

ohhhhhhhhhhhh my god.....BLASPHAMY!!! 4.5 years....someone needs to be shot!!!

1397 piston kit. that'll give you an excuse to give the motor a once over while it's apart. or just do the stuff above, lol.

i can't believe your girlfriend let you have the bike. wow, you got a lucky deal, just make sure when you piss her off she don't take it back:laugh:

:welcome:by the way.

my .02 says check that all hoses ( brake lines, coolant lines) are not rotting, and lube everything up. if it has been stored on the ground ie: not on tire stands, you might need new rubber, or when you do get her runnin those hoops will wear out fast:laugh:

have fun and enjoy man, they're a blast

I would start with drain the gas and start with fresh gas, a good oil change, spark plugs, battery and like they said just make sure the motor still spins and then i would give firing her up a try. good luck and let us know how it goes and of course.....:welcome:

pictures of said bike. :welcome: what they all said above and you should be ready to rock and roll.

thank you for all the help so far, its all around the idea of what i figured needed to be done.. to make sure the engine still spins i put it in 2nd and push it around right? (i heard tht from some other forum)

Maybe pull the plugs and shoot a little WD 40 or light oil in the cylinders first. Flush all the brake fluid and clutch as well. Just suck it out of the RES and then bleed a couple res' worth thru. Drain the fuel and start with fresh.

Should just about cover it

after changing the fluids, test the brakes while pushing it to make sure they work, don't wait until you are doing highway speeds or approaching a stop sign

:welcome: to the board

after changing the fluids, test the brakes while pushing it to make sure they work, don't wait until you are doing highway speeds or approaching a stop sign

:welcome: to the board

yeh ill probably be replacing the brakes before i take it out, right now im just worried about getting it started up.

Stored inside or out... Was it in working order 4.5 years ago? Really if it was stored in doors and in good working order the only thing you don't want to do is run any 4 years old fuel. Definately drain and inspect the tank and change the filter. Otherwise, it should run OK. But as said above I'd change all the fluid sooner than later... 4 years inside a garage really isn't really all that long - 4 years in a carport or outside is an eternity...

Back