1999 busa. Been sitting for 17yrs

The starter is in question because I was of the understanding that the 99-02 starter wouldn't work with 03+ covers and gears. (...)

yes correct - the ´03 starter´s axle is 7 mm longer than the ´99-´02
and the gear and cover are also different

but u can use the ´03 - ´07 starter at the ´99-´02 ,
IF
u also mount the ´03 - ´07 cover and gear.

yes correct - the ´03 starter´s axle is 7 mm longer than the ´99-´02
and the gear and cover are also different

but u can use the ´03 - ´07 starter at the ´99-´02 ,
IF
u also mount the ´03 - ´07 cover and gear.
Thanks for confirming!
I need to confirm what was done to it as the shop claims to have replaced the covers with 03+ but the only "extra" parts they gave me were the rotten covers that came off of it. Which makes me question if any gears were replaced. There are 3 total components within the covers correct? Starter clutch (in the top cover and engages with the starter motor), intermediate gear, and crank gear?

Sort of a related story to go with yours...

A friend of mine asked me if I could resurrect a 750 Honda Interceptor for him...it was his dads and it was parked for 10 yrs with 1000kms on it, hid dad developed Parkinson's and couldn't ride and my friend was posted in Germany so couldn't do anything with it.

The worst part of it all is it was just parked, no fuel was drained so you know what the carbs and tank looked like...the saving grace is it was parked in a heated garage so wasn't all rotted out.

I happened to be on redeployment leave and had lots of time on my hands so I delved into it and it was a real bear to work on but I finally got it all sorted and back to him. I put all new lines, fuel pump, rebuilt the carbs(they sucked to get off and sort out all the linkages), fluids, chain, tires, rebuilt the calipers, polished it and made it run....that was in 93 and he still has it today tucked away...

It can be done, and you will do it....it wont be inexpensive but that's not something to worry about due to the significance of this bike to you.

Sort of a related story to go with yours...

A friend of mine asked me if I could resurrect a 750 Honda Interceptor for him...it was his dads and it was parked for 10 yrs with 1000kms on it, hid dad developed Parkinson's and couldn't ride and my friend was posted in Germany so couldn't do anything with it.

The worst part of it all is it was just parked, no fuel was drained so you know what the carbs and tank looked like...the saving grace is it was parked in a heated garage so wasn't all rotted out.

I happened to be on redeployment leave and had lots of time on my hands so I delved into it and it was a real bear to work on but I finally got it all sorted and back to him. I put all new lines, fuel pump, rebuilt the carbs(they sucked to get off and sort out all the linkages), fluids, chain, tires, rebuilt the calipers, polished it and made it run....that was in 93 and he still has it today tucked away...

It can be done, and you will do it....it wont be inexpensive but that's not something to worry about due to the significance of this bike to you.
I couldn't agree more! Similar story with my dad's 74 amc javelin we restored. The car had sentimental value to him, and we knew it was rough when he got it. Tore the engine down, corroded cylinder walls, trans needed rebuilt, blasted the body and found that every panel had significant damage. At one point it was just the trans tunnel and firewall, now it's a show winning car haha.
I'm excited for the project and glad I found such a vast group of knowledgeable people willing to lend a hand! I have much to learn!

What's your favorite game to play?
These days I mostly play a few racing games like forza, forza horizon 5, wreckfest, and fps like warzone and splitgate.
That fulltime single dad life keeps me from having the time to devote to some of my old favorites like fallout and skyrim haha

To the OP: you are a brave soul for taking on such monumental task. Will be watching the progress...

Back