190 or 200 tires

verizonmike

Registered
confused.gif
has anybody had anything bad to say about replacing the stock with a 200 series. please let me know
sneaky2.gif

sad.gif
Mike check out the tire test in June issue of Sport Rider mag. Bikes are way different than squeezing a fatter tire on your stock truck or car rims. Throughs off the handling of a bike dramatically. Especially in your transitions from one side to the other in turns... or you could try it and give us a full report....

There would be no real advantage in going to a 200 tire other than it would look bigger, and make it harder to corner, if all you do is drag race or go straight, it would provide a slightly wider traction patch for 1/4 mile running, and this does appeal to the guys that run the drag strip every week end. But if you ride everyday normal type riding I don't think the bigger tire would be very benificial.

ernaehrung004.gif

ijust make the move on k3 and i dont notice a very big difference....but its look good i also cut the rear fendeer 3 inc look great too....but for real its seem to change about noting ,,,maybe a bit stifer on corner !

nothing bad about a 200, good grip straight up, good grip in the corners..
slower steering isn't great and it may throw your bike off a bit depending on your front and rear profiles, but shouldn't be too bad
i prefer a 180 to the 190 or 200, it has all the grip u need, steers quicker, better in rain, and cheaper..

Yes thats right. The 180 is also lighter (lower unsprung weight) so the suspension will handle better too, besides turning-in better. The only reason to go 190 is if you get some back end slide out of a turn if ya get on it too hard. Throttle control is key on 180s. 200 is only for looks in my book. My next set will be 180s after I burn through these M1 Metzler 190s.

Mike,
What ALOT of people don'e realize is.
The STOCK Busa tire is called a 190, but it actually measures 198. A 200 won't make a difference!

Mike,
What ALOT of people don'e realize is.
The STOCK Busa tire is called a 190, but it actually measures  198. A 200 won't make a difference!
Sleeper, this will depend on manufacturer and wheel width.
I realize all Busa wheels are the same width but put a 190 on a smaller rim and it will measure different.
If your 190 measures 198, there's a good chance a 200 will measure 208 or maybe more.
Just my .02

You gotta also remember that it makes a big difference what the tire profile is, and what compounds or split compounds are run on the tire as well as carcass construction. I have run 180s that were too rounded in profile and the 190 crown profile with a little flatter side profile hooked up better in the corners and layed down easier and faster. Talk to the track pros. The 200 may be OK for just cruising but it may also cause some wallowing in the turns and may fight the front tire. Fronts and rears do go together! Also be real careful of the tire pressure and keep it spot on!

sorry guys, sleeperbusa is correct. This thread was around back in '99 when the busas first came out. The BT56-J is a 198, the J variant is specific to this bike. Going with a 200 is fine, 190 is okay too. I wouldn't go to a 180 though, rim is really to big for that tire and the contact patch is smaller. Motorcyclist did an article on this a while back too.

Personally I wouldn't. Even though a bigger, fatter tire would look awesome. Suzuki did alot of research as far as performance and handling the if it would be better with a bigger tire they would have put a bgger tire on the bike frm the factory.

:?: has anybody had anything bad to say about replacing the stock with a 200 series. please let me know
brave.gif
>>has anybody had anything bad to say about replacing the stock with a 200 series. please let me know

My BT56J (190) has less than 5mm clearance between the edge of the tyre and the chain. (5mm = 1/5th inch)

You might want to check your clearance before getting a tyre that rubs the chain.

Good luck

Also, if you fit a tyre that is too wide for the rim, you actually get less rubber on the road.

Steve

I just wonder if more rubber on the road would equate to longer life of the tire.I don't ride that hard,but I still can't seem to get more than 2500 miles out of a rear tire.

.3500 miles on my Busa,and I am well into my second rear(190 Dunlop 208).I was considering trying a 200,but don't want to screw up the bike's handling.

personally i run a 180 but then again i run the canyons and such such more so than u guys in other parts of the country.. i believe the zx12r runs a 200 from the factory..

Back