150 hp Harley?!

There was a rumor some time back that Harley wanted to buy Ducati, which was apparently BS.

If Harley wants to get into the modern high performance bike market, their best bet would be to purchase an established successful brand, or do a business merger. I don't think VW will sell Ducati, it fits well with their Lamborghini and Audi business.

Maybe Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA or something similar.

Harley owners are happy to plod along at 65mph with a lot of bling and a nice beat, including fancy leathers and T-Shirts. It is a totally different market.

All that said the new 1250 is selling as fast as they can make them, but I don't think that will last long. It is just new launch fever. Also, the true off the beaten track guys do not ride around on 500lb+ bikes.

Last edited:
HD purists don't want bikes like this....and there are so many already polished bikes out there the competition is pretty stiff I reckon....
That’s the problem when you make almost the same type of bike for 50 years. You reduce your market to only those kinds of bikes.
I wish HD all the luck in the world.
Water cooling! Welcome to the 1990s HD! :poke:

That’s the problem when you make almost the same type of bike for 50 years. You reduce your market to only those kinds of bikes.
But they sell a lot of bikes and their owners seem pretty happy with them...

Say what you want but HD knows what they are doing...

HD keeps the same owners happy hence the avg age of a HD owner keeps going up. HD could have been onto something with Buell if they would have let him design a ground up engine and try to use sportster engines to compete against 600cc sportbikes. after buell broke off and started EBR racing they did a good job for their first iteration. i had plenty of seat time on both the sport and street fighter versions. good bikes.

HD keeps the same owners happy hence the avg age of a HD owner keeps going up. HD could have been onto something with Buell if they would have let him design a ground up engine and try to use sportster engines to compete against 600cc sportbikes. after buell broke off and started EBR racing they did a good job for their first iteration. i had plenty of seat time on both the sport and street fighter versions. good bikes.
Everything I've heard and seen regarding Buell bikes is they were always breaking...a couple former colleagues had 1125crs and they spent more time being fixed than riding...when they were working they were stellar. Electrical problems seemed to be the most prevalent.

I find cruiser style motorcycles are very popular-around here more popular than sport bikes by far...lots of people use metric cruisers as "gateway" bikes and generally graduate to an HD product.

Thing is they still sell more bikes above 600cc’s than anyone else, by a long shot. Even in Japan.

Thing is they still sell more bikes above 600cc’s than anyone else, by a long shot. Even in Japan.
You are right, but it is trending down big time…

551A1371-1938-46E8-AE27-97B33625D509.png

Everything I've heard and seen regarding Buell bikes is they were always breaking...a couple former colleagues had 1125crs and they spent more time being fixed than riding...when they were working they were stellar. Electrical problems seemed to be the most prevalent.

I find cruiser style motorcycles are very popular-around here more popular than sport bikes by far...lots of people use metric cruisers as "gateway" bikes and generally graduate to an HD product.
buells where still under the umbrella of HD so buells had to use subpar HD parts. when eric broke away, HD kept his name so he came out with EBR. those are different bikes but unfortunately they were hit hard during the bad economy and couldn’t survive. he is supposedly back at it and i don’t see no sportster engine.

buells where still under the umbrella of HD so buells had to use subpar HD parts. when eric broke away, HD kept his name so he came out with EBR. those are different bikes but unfortunately they were hit hard during the bad economy and couldn’t survive. he is supposedly back at it and i don’t see no sportster engine.
The 1125CR bikes used a Rotax engine and were plagued with gremlins...too bad, they were stellar bikes otherwise.

Eric Buell is a visionary...hopefully he can make a go of it but in these days it would be a hard thing to do.

7 page nightmare for Pan America on another forum . Just read the post by the original poster to save time . I feel very bad for him , and he is local to me .

That’s unfortunate, new platform and dad always said let others buy it first! These bikes with the Revolution engines in them are pretty cool tho. I test ride them every chance I get.

But i have heard its there biggest seller at the moment is this correct ? :thumbsup:
Idk about that.
Harley really did a good job in bringing a lot of changes to the touring bikes while reducing the cost. I would think the touring bikes (Road Glide, Street Glide and Road King) would make up more of their sales. I can say without fail that every dealership I’ve been in the 23s are higher priced and more plentiful on the sales floor.

That CVO ST is absolutely the best bike they’ve put out. If I didn’t just go Stage3 I might have pulled the trigger on one of those already.

Despite definite progress, compared to a Kawasaki Vulcan or a Honda Shadow I still call it a downgrade. I really like the looks of the Pan America but like C10 touched on, the engine has gremlins.

Despite definite progress, compared to a Kawasaki Vulcan or a Honda Shadow I still call it a downgrade. I really like the looks of the Pan America but like C10 touched on, the engine has gremlins.
There are many who would disagree with you....I'm not one of them but there are many out there.....

I find it kind of ironic that if a person is riding a V-Rod, they are generally shunned by the "traditional" HD crowd.....I'd imagine the same would apply to the Pan American......

Idk about that.
Harley really did a good job in bringing a lot of changes to the touring bikes while reducing the cost. I would think the touring bikes (Road Glide, Street Glide and Road King) would make up more of their sales. I can say without fail that every dealership I’ve been in the 23s are higher priced and more plentiful on the sales floor.

That CVO ST is absolutely the best bike they’ve put out. If I didn’t just go Stage3 I might have pulled the trigger on one of those already.

Reducing the cost?

IMG_0479.png

Back