1397 needs a rebuild - advice?

@busakiller is right, that will get you where you wanna be. Do some research about how to install and set it up, I ran a simple on/off rocker and a wot mictoswitch. It's not difficult at all.
If you've got the head off, I'd suggest taking to a performance shop and having it cleaned up and smoothed out. You won't extract every last drop of power, but it won't cost nearly as much as a big name ported head.

@busakiller is right, that will get you where you wanna be. Do some research about how to install and set it up, I ran a simple on/off rocker and a wot mictoswitch. It's not difficult at all.
If you've got the head off, I'd suggest taking to a performance shop and having it cleaned up and smoothed out. You won't extract every last drop of power, but it won't cost nearly as much as a big name ported head.

Sorry for confusion - I meant he would take the heads off and port them, not put aftermarket units on.

I'll look into the nitrous thing. Sounds promising.

Not in a million years. The stock Busa hit 194 and that was it in 1999/00. No stock Busa ever hit 200mph. Not sure the Gen 2 will do it either.
Really? I was told the original owner took mine to 204 (with lights on a track not by the speedo) with just exhaust and PC5, just like she sits now. Is there maybe something done to the motor I dont know about?

Really? I was told the original owner took mine to 204 (with lights on a track not by the speedo) with just exhaust and PC5, just like she sits now. Is there maybe something done to the motor I dont know about?
You would know if something was done to it that would allow it to get to 200. Exhaust and PC5 would never make it to 200.

Budget rebuild. Rings bearing. Valve job. Put it back together. Use the saved money for a wet nitrous kit. Put 80hp jets and go 200

Question: 39K miles on stock bottom end, never touched (aside from larger pistons). Still safe on spray? I was only looking to do 30-40 shot, but if I can get away with 80 shot, I'm all for it.

Question: 39K miles on stock bottom end, never touched (aside from larger pistons). Still safe on spray? I was only looking to do 30-40 shot, but if I can get away with 80 shot, I'm all for it.
To me if I was pulling the motor to rebuild the extra 200-300 for bearings is cheap
a buddy used to say "don't rest a quarter on the edge of a nickel"
39k if the lower end is okay and has not been or with spray does not detonate 30-40 shot would be fine
I reccomend a wet kit cause dry you will run into fuel pump/injector issues

Back