1200 Miles and MPG starting to drop ?.

Spudley

Grippin' and Rippin'
Donating Member
Registered
Have an issue I need clarity on here,

At 603.5 miles I did the Factory inspection service with the help of my Suzuki Shop Manual.  Checked torques, inspected items listed, cleaned and greased the chain, replaced oil / filter etc.  Since oil change, mileage has slowly been slipping.  Before oil change, mileage was in the neighborhood of 42 regardless of riding style.  I was running lengthy highway trips, and keeping the throttle consistent.  

Since the oil change around 1,000 mi., my mileage has been dropping 1/10th at a time.  I'm now down to around 38.7.  Blew out air filter, adjusted chain back to the 20mm (.8") mark, with a cleaning and greasing at 1200 miles.  Still no rise with a couple of highway runs.  

My choice of lubricant was not the Factory Suzuki 10w40, I used Motorex blend in a 10w40.  Most the local techs were recommending the Honda 10w40, but I went with the blend.  I did opt for the Suzuki oil filter.

I'm traditionally an Amsoil man, but felt it a wee bit too slippery for such a young motor.  Is there a recommendation to dump the blend, and find some good 'ol peroleum-base for a certain period of miles ?.  Am I looking beyond the forest here ?.

I'm a motor-builder at heart.  Have been for over 25 years.  Bikes ?, I've never built, but am looking at the ring structure at the cylinder wall as a potential culprit.  I've jumped on it a bit, but haven't passed the recommended factory rev-limits out of respect for the new motor.  I'm suspicious only because this is a FI engine, and normally they're pretty consistent and predictable.    

Is this typical of breaking-in a Suzuki powerplant ?.  Just curious is all.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated for this aspiring Hyabusa Motorhead.

GBA,  A.

Spudley
Las Vegas
05' Busa Red / Black

You are probably resetting your trip odometer to often for accurate readings
Reset trip 1 as much as you want but leave Trip 2 alone for at least 4 tank fulls you will see the mileage evens out a lot with the larger mileage sample.

It could just be that you are more comfortable with the bike's behavior. I used to get 34~ as a norm for a long time. Up to 45 (long trip) or down to 26 (yeehawing). IF you can ride it while keeping the RPM's below 5k, you'll see higher MPG...

I now have D&D bolt-ons, a BMC street filter, MArbled the PAIR, and just got the 16k "tuneup" It is running a little richer and the D&D/Marble let's it rev faster and smoother. I'm luck to get 30mpg now.

<marquee> ZOOOOOOOM </marquee>

A semi-related story here. Brother and I drove my truck to Alaska. I drove for a few days, and drifted close to 13-14 L/100km. Pretty good for me. Brother jumped in, started pulling shifts, and immediately the mileage went to 11.5 L/100km. I got in again and the mileage went up to mine. I drive more leadfooted and had to "learn" to drive 11.5. Finally, through hard work we were both able to get it to 10.5 L/100kms. One full-throttle pass would blow this away (5.9L engine). Around town here I can run almost 40L/100kms (FOUR times worse mileage). So driving style totally affects mileage. (as well as a number of other factors).

CorrodedAlien is onto something could be just your driving habits or i have noticed that every fill station mileage is different
rock.gif

Back