Considerable Smell of Fuel in Oil

EchoBase

Registered
I have an 06 Busa with about 30,000KMS on it, BMC Air Filter, Full 4-2-1 Yoshi Exhaust, PC3 tuned pretty will and a full time PLX Wideband and Gauge so I can monitor AFR. I've changed the plugs in it about 10 days ago with NGK CR9EIX Iridium Plugs. Old plugs looked good actually.
I've changed my oil and filter twice since March.
The oil seems like its breaking down way too early.
Symptoms are that the engine, once it's up to temp, will idle with some minor noises in the bottom end, shifts are a little rough
When I changed the oil last, the engine ran so quiet and shifts were so smooth, it was a different machine, slowly, that has changed.
Since this last change (30 days ago) the oil level is a tad high definitely does not look the colour it did when I put it in( it's a tad lighter) and it smells like fuel, excessively so.

Last three oil changes:
Sept 2013 - Amsoil Synthetic 10W40 & Suzuki Filter
Feb 2014 - iPone Semi-Synthetic 10W40 & Suzuki Filter
May 2014 - Motul 7100 Synthetic 10W40 & Suzuki Filter

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome, thank you all in advance.
:thumbsup:

Go to a Caterpillar dealer, ask for an oil sample bottle, pull a sample and see what is in it. If you want to go old school, pull some oil out, pour it on a bench and throw a match in it. If it burns there is probably gas in it.

Can't wait to hear from the experts but it sounds like fuel is getting past the rings. That's not good. I understand that fuel can wipe a cylinder reducing friction killing oil causing cylinder wall damage. You might also have a dead cylinder, bad coil , plug , etc. If you had an infrared temp meter you could check the tubes on each cylinder I guess to see if ones cooler than the rest :dunno:

Not an expert so PM gixerhp, goldenchild, or powerhouse just to mention a few

Thanks dadofthree.
I do believe there is something somewhat serious going on.

I'll keep everyone posted.

How does fuel get into oil? worn piston rings? unburnt fuel getting in ? how do the plugs look?
All good questions.
7 Days ago, the plugs looked good, they were all brown. Not black or full of crap nor did it look like any cylinders were running lean.

Update.

After closer examination, I may have exaggerated the amount of fuel I THOUGHT was in the oil.
It probably is only trace amounts.

I did take mlj3truck's suggestion and tried to light a sample of the oil. Nothing lit. I also verified the texture of the oil between my fingers and compared it to brand new 7100. It wasn't that bad really.

Attached are some pictures of new and current oil and of the oil colour through the site glass (the bubbles are from me adding Seafom before changing the oil).

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_4736.jpg

To update further.
I changed the oil about 30 days ago, at that point the bike was running fairly un-tuned.
It was only about a week ago that I had the wideband up and running so I could make fuel changes to the map.
95% of the changes were cutting fuel all over the place.
Having put a timeline on these things I felt that MAYBE the oil may have been in the condition I thought it was in because it had been running rich for 3 weeks, I don't know.
So I went ahead and changed the oil and filter AGAIN. :banghead:

Today I picked up more Motul 7100 10W40.
I added 6oz of Seafoam in the oil and 2.5oz of Seafoam in the gas tank (it was only half full).
I let the bike idle for about 20 min.
I drained the oil into a well cleaned oil pan and then transferred it into a well cleaned white Protein bucket with a lid for later analysis.
To be fair I used Seafoam before an oil change two changes ago, that was the first time the bike had seen Seafoam (since I've had it) and the oil was BLACK!
This time the oil looked fine, no different than before I added the Seafoam and let it idle.
Then I removed the Suzuki oil filter and replaced it with a Hi-Flo equivalent, filled the oil until it showed full. Ran the bike for about 10 seconds. Without waiting for the oil to settle I filled it to the full mark again.
I then let the bike idle for about 10 min and shut it off. The level was still at the full mark.
I took it out for a ride, all felt and sounded well.
I'll keep monitoring things and we'll go from there.

Sea Foam will add a different smell to the oil.

If the bike is running smooth and the wide band is showing a somewhat reasonable A/F number, I doubt that you have a problem.

I agree with your assessment.
Thank You

To be clear, I do not have sea foam in my oil.
I just added it right before changing the oil today so it was drained away with the 30 day oil oil.

Back