04' false neutrals

GMbusa

Orange is the fastest
Donating Member
Registered
I've heard of the 03's have the false neutral problem but i'm not sure if it's a big problem on the 04's. I've had it happen twice already on my 04' when shifting from 5th to 6th, so i'm putting this out here to inform everyone that it is happening on the 04 models.
Didn't someone say this goes away after a few thousand miles?
Also sometimes it's difficult to select first gear coming off neutral.I haven't read any recall info or tech bulletins on the busa, so i'm in the dark on these topics.

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084077751 -->

It will go away. Shift hard when you do, it loves it!
smile.gif

Quit pussy footing around with your tranny man, 1300cc motor is backed by a big tranny... The 5-6 falsie will clear up right after your initial service for the most part. The failure to find first? I dunno...

Like everyone else is saying just keep shifting with authority and it will go away...As far as first gear, if it doesn't go in just hold down firmly on the lever and slowly( I repeat slowly) let out on the clutch, it'll fall right into gear.

Hope this helps out!

Dan

Another way to get first gear to come in is to simply blip the throttle and as soon as rpm's come back down to normal, it will fall back in.
As far as a 5th-6th false neutral.....Your on a busa, you have to have the authority in the combo. Preload your shift lever, pull the clutch and slam the damn thing in gear!

it's still wrong that some many people are finding the exact same issue tween 5 and 6, reguardless or our shifting. I find false neutrals tween many other gears too, when realy screwing up my shifts. pulling and HOLDING all the way up on the foot helps too. shall we call it character?

as far as the first gear thing goes...this is kind of off the wall, but try holding the clutch in a little longer before putting it in first...mine did it, and I'd hold in the clutch for maybe 10-20 seconds and it would go in...maybe just a coincidence i don't know, but it worked for me a couple times

Ihad the same problem with my 2001 & 2002 however, after few thousand miles it simply went away your should too.

I definitely had a few falses on my '04... I haven't noticed it much lately (now at the 1100 mile mark) but it could just be that I'm shifting harder to compensate.

failure to find first comes from the gear teeth not lining up. VERY slowly ease the clutch out to start the gears rotating while holding pressure down on the shifter. Once the gear rotates like 10 degrees it will drop right into gear.
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Ooh! I know why there's the false neutral in between 5th and 6th, so when i'm doing my 130mph rolling christs, the bike won't decellerate, or when i'm skitching hanging on to the tail.........

Guys before you start blaming the bike, THINK ABOUT HOW A MOTORCYCLE TRANSMISSION WORKS!
wink.gif

It's not like a car where it's either in gear or not. The gears are stacked and you have to shift with authority. You can't just lightly tap it and expect it to go into the next gear.

You also have to down shift as you are slowing down. Try coming to a stop with the bike in sixth gear and then shift down to first, IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN without the clutch release juggle/trick!
wow.gif

All of these issues you guys are stating happen for a reason. Now if the bike is popping out of gear or doing other odd stuff like that, you may have a bent shift fork!

Josh
cool.gif

Back