False neutral

DEMMYM

Donating Member
Registered
I dont seem to have a problem catching second which seems to be a common problem, However 3 times now I have hit a false neutral between
5th and 6th at ( lets just say above legal limit ) Anyone know what Im doing wrong or what I can do to prevent this, Scares the crap out of me when it happens.

000_1549.jpg

Common prob with Busa's. Maybe try adjusting you shifter so you can get a better shift?

Agree with Strife in adjustment of the shift lever. What kind of boots/shoes are you wearing when this happens? How many miles on her Michael? Mine did that when I first got it, but now I am over 6k and the tranny is butter smooth now.

She just turned over 4000, Was wearing sneakers, Are you guys saying im not getting enough of the shifter under my foot to get a good firm shift.

James I was at 81st and 51 at the quicktrip, got on 51 going towards 145th, Hit that long curving on ramp when I got straightend out there was a camaro coming down the turnpike who saw me and figured he wasnt going to let me on in front of him. Uhhhhhhhh huh took all of about 1/2 second to downshift to fourth then fifth and away I went, without him. When I hit sixth ( well ahead of him ) it hit the neutral.

happened all the time when I got mine - tween 5 and 6. yep. I seemed to have adjusted my shifting to compensate for its issue

same here scared the heck out of me a couple times.. my fault i wasnt as firm on my 5 to 6 shift.. hasnt happened again..

Thinking about this, Tell me what you all think. Cant take credit I saw this on you tube, Cut the tip of your gear shift off ( the part those goes under you toe when changing gears ) drill out the hole, Take a custom footpeg, drill and tap a hole through the end of it, run a bolt through the gear shift into the foot peg and you now have a shifter lever your whole foot can fit under and looks good.

Pros and Cons please

My 08 does this between 4th and 5th. Happened 5 times last night and I know it wasn't that I wasn't shifting firm enough.Made me not want to shift into 5th and made me cringe when I did wondering if it was going to be there or grind.WTF??? 3200 miles and going to change oil again, this time with full synthetic and see if that makes any difference.

That kind of peg mod does make a difference. Especially when a Buell peg mod is done. If you do it,it certainly won't hurt it.

When my bike was new, I had a lot of trouble with false neutrals between 5 and 6 (some between 4 & 5 too) no matter how hard I ripped on the shift lever. Found that if I shifted above 4000 rpm it would go in a lot better. By 4000 miles it was starting to shift a lot smoother, and when I switched to Motul 7100 synthetic oil at 4400 miles, havn't missed a shift since. 7000 miles on it now and I just have to poke the shifter in the general direction of the gear and it goes right in. As twotonevert says, "smooth as butter". :thumbsup:

Have had it happen a couple times on mine, but nothing significant.

It used to happen to me. Then I went to reverse shifting. (1 up, 5 down) Hasn't happened since. :thumbsup:

My bike used to have a false neutral between 5 and 6 even when using the airshifter (so I know it wasn't my shifting technique). I eventually lost 6th at about 16k of hard miles. Installed undercut tranny and now it shifts like a dream.

change your shoes... I had that happend to me like 4 times when I was wearing my LUGZ.. now I just tick to my sidi's or icon boots and hasn't happend ever... I take it as she wanting me to be safe... hell I can't even shift with tennis shoes... :cheerleader:

Back