Winter/Spring Busa projects

RedBusarider

Registered
Now that it is officially WINTER - What are your plans for your Busa during the winter and spring upcoming?
Since many of us can't ride during the winter or early spring, this is a good time to work on our bikes.
No since in taking away from prime riding time. :laugh:

I'll start.

Plans are to add -
A Genmar riser.
Screens for the fairings.
Back-off flasher module.
GPI behind the Tech.

Do a good cleaning overall.

Maybe more - still thinking - will decide after the above is done.

Everyone likes pictures and I will plan on posting some when they are completed - Hope you will too.

So what plans do you have for this Winter and Spring?
I am not adding a year to this, so next winter maybe we could just add to this one and keep it going.
Ideas are encouraged........

Well apart from the usual maintenance stuff I will be moving the bike from more of a touring bike to more of a twisties/track bike. Gearing is already pretty aggressive with a 17/46 ratio which I just added. I'm looking to take off unwanted stuff and weight (me and the bike!) and put plugs on everything so it can be just taken off if i go to the track. Biggest thing is getting the leathers squared away right now. Going to hold on the saddle bags for next year as I hope to do a few long rides next year. I do need to repaint my rear cowl (need to get a new dragon sticker) as it has some pretty big scratches on it and i want to sand blast the swingarm so its natural aluminum and clear coat it. I also need all new inside fairing panels - opened too many times!

I am still looking for a good secure place for my radar detector that is stealthy and where a laser hit can be picked up at least on the front. This one has stumped me. The Radar is not waterproof so it needs a case and there seems to be no space in the nose of the bike for it (with a waterproof case). Very frustrating been looking for the right place for 2 years now.

We ride year round around here. I installed my heated gear controls 2 weeks ago but have had 2 god rides without using it. Frankly the Gerbing jacket works pretty well down to as low os 40 degrees without plugging it in. Thats about it.

I'm always modding.....:laugh:

I recently purchased a set of BST's, too good of a deal 2 pass up! So now I'm scrounging 2 get everything needed 2 go along with it. I've got a lot of plans and little funds left 2 do it :whistle:

EBC prolite rotors front and rear
New Pads all the way around as well
New sprocket 4 BST rim
Set of new tires probably go with Q3's
Upgrade rear caliper
Oil change
There's a bunch of little things I wanna tighten up and finish doing. I want this thing sitting on stands ready 2 go for this spring. Don't wanna have 2 touch or tweak nothing come riding season!!! All I wanna do is add gas & ride the living chit out of it!! :laugh:

I blew it apart for paint, shipped all the plastics and tank to a good friend of mine who runs a paint shop. My only input was no flames. I'll see what comes back to me when he is done. We think a lot alike and I am confident it won't come back pink with a unicorn pooping rainbows or anything. I'll post pictures when it's done. Besides that I installed a rear hugger and an under tail to add to the cosmetic make over its getting. We're saving for a home and California superbike school in September so the rest of my budget is pretty much spoken for already. Doesn't mean I won't try to sneak a turbo kit on there when the wife isn't looking

Well I got a used turbo kit a month ago. I have to get some small stuff to finish it off. Get it installed and tuned. If I have enough extra cash I will be installing a meth injection kit. I will also be powder coating the swingarm, extensions, rear sets and passenger pegs. PMR switches and tether. New rotors and pads for more stopping power. Install the data logger and boost/AF gauges. Going to try and go check out a tuner during Xmas break. I also have to switch over to the 32bit system. I already have the rotor, just need the computer now.

ForumRunner_20141222_085124.png

ForumRunner_20141222_085139.png

Just did the front forks with new seals ,oil and 100kg springs , Also New Penske drag shock and Ohlins top mount dampner

the race bike is going to be finished from last winter (took the year off, had a kid.. life...) with all new rods, new body, new fuel system, swapped over to E85/E99.

Street bike is becoming the turbo bike. picked up a used T28 super cheap so its my goal to make this the best DIY turbo build. Not going to cheap out on it but not going to just buy what I can make myself. I have access to a large number of tools (lathe, mill, TIG wilder) and people who know how to run them. Also I dont have access to anybody that knows much about turbo busa's. Going to do fueling from a PC5 and I think I am going to run MPS 62lb injectors. Will see how they perform on the race bike and go from there.

Re-gear the bike
relocate boost gauge
maybe install beetle bags
maybe install single sided swing arm

Here is a pic of the race bike as it sits. Fuel system to be done shortly after Xmas. Here is the turbo exhaust housing. I dont have any before pics but it was pretty rough. lots of rust and grit all over. disassembled, cleaned, blasted and re-welded. The wastegate was originally just tack welded at the pivot shaft on the outside. I can only imagine that the gate was leaking a ton of boost. I cut the outter arm off for clearance, removed the gate flap, had the whole thing sand blasted and then had a local welder re-weld the flap in. aint no boost getting past it now. We also made a plug that will fill the hole from the inside and I ordered some high temperature epoxy to hold the plug in place. then clean up with a dremel/sander.

20141219_145801_0.jpg

20141128_140453.jpg

Re-gear the bike
relocate boost gauge
maybe install beetle bags
maybe install single sided swing arm

Those are interesting! I don't think I have seen the Beetle Bags on a bike here. Wait a minute, you're going to have a turbocharged bagger?

:popcorn:

Now that it is officially WINTER - What are your plans for your Busa during the winter and spring upcoming?
Since many of us can't ride during the winter or early spring, this is a good time to work on our bikes.
No since in taking away from prime riding time. :laugh:

GPI behind tach...pictures?

-D

Ok well here you go

Dymags Carbon Wheels
Brembo Hp full floating rotors
Another set of Q3's
Chain and Sprockets
New Rizoma Fluid cups for the master cylinders

Oh New bike for the Woman,, Maybe a Triumph Street Triple.
Thats all, i think,, of wait,, naaa cant tell

GPI= Gear Position Indicator

There's a mod out where you can put LED's behind the tach to shine through the number and light up accordingly 2 each gear. I'd do it but I already have an external GPI box on my busa so I don't feel like messing with it right now :laugh:

Hope this helped clear things up 4U Fallen :beerchug:

i have decided to keep my busa. I havent got a big list of mods. I think i need to replace the 2008 tires that are still on the bike :) I know it needs a new battery now. Other then that most of my mods will be appearance. I think i am going to put some sort of decal package on it. I just havent decided what yet. As it sits everyone thought it was a wrecked bike due to the sticker removal. Might look at some gen 1 graphics i like that kanji better. Havent decided on the tail section yet either. Couple small scuffs in the paint from riders boots havent decided if i should fix them or just put the tail stickers back on as they would cover the scuffs.

Back