My 1397 :)

O Holy P

Registered
I was forced to build it. :laugh:

After a little mishap I had to do a partial tear down for damage inspection. After removing the engine and getting the cylinder head off I knew the head would have to be repaired and I'd have to replace 1 piston. I just couldn't do that after having it broken down this far. Fortunately a friend I went to college with is a senior engineer at Mahle and he got me the hook up on 4 new pistons with rings, wrist pins & clips...in the 84mm flavor. :) I had the block sent off for boring & plating. I also had the head sent for repair and decided to get ported and prepped for larger cams in the future. :whistle: Once I got all the parts back I took everything to a buddies garage and we put it all together. File fitted the rings, installed the pistons & block, degree'd 2 stock intake cams, and did a valve clearance check...had to adjust 8 valves after I hunted around locally for some shims. While checking the clearance I had the oil crossover tube un-bolted and the cam caught it and chipped part of it! So I was waiting on that to come in from Suzuki and was the only thing I was waiting for to get it all buttoned up to fire! While the engine was out I also put in a clutch mod and the Factory Pro shift kit with HD spring & shift star. Heard good things about it, but haven't tried it yet.

Anyway I fired it up yesterday and it definitely needs a tune, it was good to hear her come back to life. :cheerleader: I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to get it to the tuner, but when I do I'll post back here with the results.

I took a video of it and also here are some pictures I took along the way...

:thumbsup:

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

Won't be able to get it to they dyno until probably Sept. 6th, he's out of town now and I'll be going out of town so we'll just miss each other. I'll post back here with results. :)

Welp...heading to the tuner tomorrow!! I'm a little nervous, I went out of town for a week and let the bike sit. I cranked it up tonight to get it loaded into the pickup. But before I did I took it for a little spin around the block and it feels like it's missing a cylinder and sounds like it's running like straight up a$$. :confused2: I hope it is just the current tune and that it clears up with some work to it... :please: I'm bringing everything I can with me to work on the bike while it's there just in case. Hopefully it isn't anything major.

I'll post back here tomorrow evening with an update...wish me luck!

Pfft...well it's gonna be a week at least now. The valves I had adjusted were due to erroneous readings. The head had some debris from porting still lurking. Some of the little shavings must've been between a few valves causing a false loose reading. Worked on it for a few hours to get the valves shimmed back to spec and when it was all back together I rolled it over to find the exhaust cam was a tooth off! $!$%#^%& Ran out of time with the tuner and my frustration level. I decided to leave it at the shop and have the cams re-degree'd and looked over. They should have it on the dyno next week sometime I think...

I'll post back with results hopefully :please:

Where did you get the stand? I seen that victoria secrets for men ( harbor freights ) has that stand for $36 and was wondering about it.

1ibandit
88 ZL1000, 07 KaBusa
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does sound kinda choppy like the cams are off or adjusted wrong.Sounds like a bigger cam.Nice build and there is always something.I had the same issue when I first put my turbo 2.3 together.My head geometry was all wrong and broke some roller followers and nicked the lobes because the followers were too steep in angle making the ratio way off and spring retainers hitting guide seals and all.Looks good and let us know the end results.

Well I received word today that it has been tuned and it held together. :) I'll try to get a graph....

192rwhp / 113rwtq

I was hoping for 200 or a hair more, but I'm sure this will be a nice addition to my previous 160rwhp. :) Next will be cams and valve springs, maybe sometime next summer...

What cams are you running now?
And what are they degree'd at?

Running 2 intake cams. The guy I use that does the ECU reflash asked me not to share the cam degree info... :)

Running 2 intake cams. The guy I use that does the ECU reflash asked me not to share the cam degree info... :)
Oh so he is secret squirrel!

Well ill keep my comments to myself then!

Hehe...I had an idea where I wanted them and consulted with him and he advised different so I hope I chose wisely. :laugh:

Back