Very Very Poor Running Busa need advise please

My 03LE has the original battery going strong, but I've had it on a battery tender non-stop whenever its not being ridden. 7 years is a long time for a battery unless its been maintained perfectly. And if this battery hasn't pretty much lived on a tender I'd say its time is probably about done. Dying batteries can cause symptoms you wouldn't believe, especially in these newer, highly electronic bikes of ours :laugh: And the deceptive little b*stards will even test good with a volt meter just to mess with you. A load test is the best way to go :thumbsup: Or just figure after 7 years you got your moneys worth and get a new battery :beerchug:
I also have to add, I'm amazed my battery has lasted as long as it has. And the minute I get any funny business going on, the first thing I'm replacing is my battery :laugh:

On a side note I've been around wrenching my whole life, and you wouldn't believe the things I've seen guys tear apart and replace to avoid replacing a battery. The work and effort and cussing and money, its been laughable. And in the end, in goes the 80 dollar battery and 15 minutes of time and problem solved. Its like somethings ingrained in guys to avoid replacing a battery at all costs. Must be genetic :rofl:

lolololol!!!!!!:thumbsup:

I bought my 99 with the original battery and it just now failed me.

and it's the oh so far and few between random freak stories like that that cause stories like these...

"Originally Posted by 2Wheels2Live
My 03LE has the original battery going strong, but I've had it on a battery tender non-stop whenever its not being ridden. 7 years is a long time for a battery unless its been maintained perfectly. And if this battery hasn't pretty much lived on a tender I'd say its time is probably about done. Dying batteries can cause symptoms you wouldn't believe, especially in these newer, highly electronic bikes of ours And the deceptive little b*stards will even test good with a volt meter just to mess with you. A load test is the best way to go Or just figure after 7 years you got your moneys worth and get a new battery
I also have to add, I'm amazed my battery has lasted as long as it has. And the minute I get any funny business going on, the first thing I'm replacing is my battery

On a side note I've been around wrenching my whole life, and you wouldn't believe the things I've seen guys tear apart and replace to avoid replacing a battery. The work and effort and cussing and money, its been laughable. And in the end, in goes the 80 dollar battery and 15 minutes of time and problem solved. Its like somethings ingrained in guys to avoid replacing a battery at all costs. Must be genetic"

like the man sez..."Laughable" :laugh:

and for the record?..i've got an '03 that actually ready for it's...

"FOURTH BATTERY"

why?..simple...my going on 8 years old '03 genI at this very moment has just under 22K miles on her...i've never invested in a battery tender (and prolly never will) and sometimes...but not all the time...my bike might randomly sit for weeks..sometimes even a month or two...then i usually gotta re-charg'em..i'm 52 and thats just the way it goes for me these days..peter-paul/mounds baby cause these days?...sometimes i feel like a nut and?..

sometimes i dont! :laugh:

I had a fuel filter go bad on my strom @ around 35,000 miles I think. The bike would idle fine, and behave quite normal at lower rpm's , smooth and all, but would not tach up to the upper RPM's because it could not suck enough fuel through the filter and "starved", yes the filter was over $200 so watch where you get gas ( I think it was a brand new station that hosed me). Rough almost sounds like you have cylinders cutting out?

I've had the same problem and my friend and I had changed all the injectors and used 110 gas, still the same . then we took his tank and put on my bike( bam ) that did the trick. I've been use sing racing fuel and putting the fruity flavor to make it smell good and it does not mix. F' up my fuel pump. so I ended up getting a new fuel pump.

I put everything back together and it didn't run much different!!!

I then took the battery to Batteries Plus and was about to buy a new one and said that I didn't think this battery was to bad yet. They put a Load on it of 200 amps. The voltage only went to about 10 volts. He said that my battery was very good yet:thumbsup:
I took it home and charged it some. Rode the bike with no change again.

Today I removed the fuel injectors and found some specks of ????

Can fuel injectors be cleaned and if so how? Does the fuel rail need to be cleaned too?
How much dirt is to much? Any?
Could this be the problem? That I described originally?
I need help again:bowdown:

You shouldn't have ANY debris in there. That's actually pretty scary. Take the injectors out and spray them with carb cleaner. (with spray needle)
Yes I'd do the same with the fuel rail. Try to keep the cleaner away from any orings or rubber.
A lot of people on here will recommend sending them off and getting them professionally cleaned, flow tested, and balanced, which is a great idea if you have the time/money.

If you're getting debris in there, I might throw in an inline fuel filter; something isn't adding up if you have debris in the rail. :eek3:

This could easily be the problem. Take em off and clean em. (clean em, let them dry, clean them again, let them dry, install)

If you notice better performance, that is the culprit. If you notice better performance, but not 100%, you need to have them shipped off to professionals, as a home cleaning will likely not get them back to 100%. (usually $20-$25 per injector) If you notice nothing at all, it's probably a different issue altogether. :/

Last edited:
I think I will photograph the injectors and area post them soon so everybody can see what I'm taking about and how much stuff is there.

I think I will photograph the injectors and area post them soon so everybody can see what I'm taking about and how much stuff is there.

What does the inside of your tank look like? That debris in the injectors is coming from somewhere.

When I took out the fuel pump I saw a little bit of "debris" inside the fuel tank.
I siphoned out about another quart of fuel making the tank completely empty.
I did sop up anything I could see in the tank. When I finished it looked very clean. I reinstalled everything and put about 2 gals in the tank from a plastic gas can noting not to put in the last few ounces in case there was anything on the bottom of the gas can.

Fast forward to today. I'm attaching images of 2 of the injectors and 2 of the injector holes. As you can see there is some debris. I will clean them up the best I can.

Carb cleaner on the injectors and q-tips around the holes trying not to let anything fall inside.

Any tips are welcome.

I don't know if Stabil could have caused any of this debris but I don't ever plan on using it in any of my bikes again.

2312.jpg

2313.jpg

2319.jpg

2321.jpg

2323.jpg

I'de re check the tank just to make sure. The inner coating could be flaking off slowly. I'm not saying for certain it is, but I'de check before I spent the money cleaning injectors. There's not alot of places the trash could continuously come from.
Pour the gas in the tank into a container like a plastic gallon milk jug with the top cut off. That would make it easy to see if you have any new trash floating around. If not, at least you eliminated the tank as a problem.

It didn't look like there was any "inner coating" in the tank to me when I had the fuel pump out of it. I will try to clean the injectors (what choice do I have) and see what happens.
The gas that I just put in it was fresh. I think that the dirt in the injectors has been building up for awhile. Again I'm not sure if it could be from Stabil or not.

Dude, that debris is on the tip of the injector, wich is inserted in the intake manifold, right? What am I missin.

If so, those particles are from inside your intale manifold/cylinder area.

Are they metalic in nature? Check hardness, crush with a hammer gently to see what they are made of. They could be carbon deposits from the valve seat that got blown back into the manifold...

Just for the helluvit, pull a comp check.

My bet is on plugs. How old are they. Never hurts to change them out to eliminate them since they do fail and still look "new".

Last edited:
Dude, that debris is on the tip of the injector, wich is inserted in the intake manifold, right? What am I missin.

Thanks for the ideas. I didn't/don't see any of the debris on the "tips" of the injectors. The tip's look good. The debris looks similar to the stuff that I found in the gas tank, only smaller.

The plugs are OEM. However It only has 4500 miles. However the point is taken that they could be bad even if they look good ???

If anyone has cleaned their injectors and had good results I would like to hear about it.

If I reinstall everything, and it doesn't run any better then I may be forced to take it to a dealer. If I reinstall and then take out the injectors again and find any debris, then I would know it's coming from inside the intake manifold and not from the gas since I cleaned the tank and put in fresh gas.

One more point is that even though I blew out the fuel filter, that too is an item that could look OK and still be bad, right. When I called Suzuki they said that the filter was not cleanable. For $329 it should last a lifetime!

I cannot imagine how/why STA-BIL can be the cause of the debris you're finding. As you already know, Sta-Bil is meant to prevent the gas from gumming up while bike is in storage.

As already pointed out, start with cheapest fix first = plugs. Then have the injectors professionally cleaned and last (most expensive), fuel filter.

Best of luck.

P.S. I do NOT have firsthand experience with these guys (googled them):
http://injectorrx.com/
http://injector-rehab.com/?gclid=CI697Jzdm6UCFQlubAodRyzUJA

Last edited:
Back