Riding the Dragon

sportcustoms71

Registered
the second week of August me and the wife are staying up in Gatlinburg for the week and we plan on riding the Dragon while we're in Tn:cheerleader:. i plan on riding double and was wondering yall have any advice for taking the twisties with the wife...no i'm not going like a bat out of he@% down the gap but at the same time i don't want to end up in the ditch either. we ride double all the time and she is very comfortable on the back but if yall have any tips maybe i can give her would be greatly appreciated....thanks

I have been to the Dragon many times as I live in GA. My wife rides 2 up with me all the time up there. Our favorite part is actually the skyway, but the Dragon portion is fun as well.

Just go up and down the hill one time to get a feeling of how tight the turns are and how much some of them are banking. Use this time to look for any obstacles that may be in the road as well. Then, have fun and take a trip around the surrounding roads as well. I forget the name of the road that when you are coming down the hill on the NC side and it turns to the left right at the gas station and hang out spot. That road that goes to the left as the dragon road curves to the right is really nice. It is a back way back down to Robbinsville and follows a river almost the entire way.

sounds good i planned on taking it slow the first time the way down to get the feel of the road and then hit it on the way back up. just looking for some tips though for the wife, she seems a little nervous about this one.

Just relax and take your time, have her relax and lean with the bike. Have her use her arms to support herself on the tank and have fun. Remember to stay focused and look through the turn. The speed limit is only 25, but you can get in trouble if you dont stay focused.

IMG_6540.jpg

If you can get up and down the hill a few times before about 0930-1000 you should be OK. After that it starts to get really busy and really slow. About that time is when my wife and I hit the road I mentioned above and the Skyway.

Since you will be coming from the TN side, I would suggest going up the hill to the look out and have a breather. Then start down the hill to the NC side and once you are at the bottom there will be a restaurant/gas station on your left. This is where the Tree of Shame is, and some other souvenir type stuff.

Get off there and see what your wife thought of the ride and go laugh at all the comments on the broken pieces of the bikes on the Tree of Shame. Just have fun and relax. It is no different than any other twisty road as long as you stay within your riding skills.

Have fun and let us know how it went when you get back.:beerchug:

sounds good man....where you stationed at in Georgia i got some family down there....they got me stationed up here in quantico, va. Virginia's got some awesome riding once you get away from D.C. and all the traffic...

I like to ride during the weekdays better than the weekends, there is alot less traffic. Focus on the road and don't sight see, I have seen alot of dirt thrown back onto the road. Also they just opened the Dragon all the way through. You will enjoy the Skyway more riding 2up.

I took a vacation up there recently and rode with my wife on the back. It was fun for both of us. I Didn't push it to extremes but I didn't slack either. After we rode it together, Then she told me to ride it by myself so I could push it a bit more. You will be fine as long as she knows how to ride with you through corners. Have fun!

Ryan34.jpg

Ryan28.jpg

Those roads or any twisty mountain road gets real spookey at night. No lights at all unless it's a full moon. With all the turns and blind corners I would be VERY careful since you won't be able to see untill you're already committed to the turn..

not to thread jack but is night riding advisable on the dragon?

MCMustang took a few guys out one year for a night on the dragon. We all had HID's and it was a blast!

I have since rode at least once every trip at night. I wait till its close to dusk and ride up to the lookout and wait for the sun to set. Then head back down in the dark. HID's are a MUST and your speed will be slower than usual, but the cool air, no traffic and the excitement of the dark is worth doing it at least once!!! :thumbsup:

I forget the name of the road that when you are coming down the hill on the NC side and it turns to the left right at the gas station and hang out spot. That road that goes to the left as the dragon road curves to the right is really nice. It is a back way back down to Robbinsville and follows a river almost the entire way.

Sounds like you're thinking of Hwy 28, which is indeed a fun little ride! 28 has a great paving job almost the whole way through, which makes for a very smooth ride back to town. From the CROT (Deals Gap Resort) you'll take the left fork, which is Hwy 28, then take a right onto 143 and it'll land you right back in downtown Robbinsville.

As far as the two-up riding goes, it is slightly more challenging on the Dragon. However, it's no big deal as long as you're careful. Most of the curves are very tight, but they also have good banking. As long as you keep the speed reasonable and trust your tires instead of hammering on the brake too hard, you'll be just fine.

Here's the wifey and me on the Dragon... :thumbsup:

DAV_0023.jpg

I have been to the Dragon many times as I live in GA. My wife rides 2 up with me all the time up there. Our favorite part is actually the skyway, but the Dragon portion is fun as well.

Just go up and down the hill one time to get a feeling of how tight the turns are and how much some of them are banking. Use this time to look for any obstacles that may be in the road as well. Then, have fun and take a trip around the surrounding roads as well. I forget the name of the road that when you are coming down the hill on the NC side and it turns to the left right at the gas station and hang out spot. That road that goes to the left as the dragon road curves to the right is really nice. It is a back way back down to Robbinsville and follows a river almost the entire way.

I think its called the Hellbender:thumbsup:

Make sure she puts her hands on the fuel tank and uses her arms and legs to stabilize herself otherwise it will put strain on your arms, wrists, and back. My wife basically touches her forefingers and thumbs at the center of the tank.

Back