TURBO GUYS I need your help......2nd stage.....SRT4 (Cage)

BUBBA

Foghoon Leghoon
Donating Member
Registered
Okay Orgsters, I have a huge favor to ask and I know you will come through in true Org form.

My future Son-in-Law has an '05 SRT4 (That's a car) with a 2nd stage Turbo. He has been have some issues and trying to dial it in.

I told him this site would be able to help so here goes, and remember, I have no idea what I am talking about so be gentle.:laugh:

The vacuum assist module (on the right in pic) is attached to what he says is a "Waste Gate" and needs to be adjusted properly.

I helped him do the adjustment according to his instructions from his website, but I don't know if we went the right direction.

So here is where you come in.

If you please tell me if the vacuum assist is supposed to move "In" or "Out" from the position it is in? The Thingy on the exhaust (Waste gate? I presume) is all the way to the right and will not go any further. Is it supposed to be here or all the way to the left.

I also had him start the car and gas it, but the arm did not move.

PLEASE HELP, Perspiring minds want to know.

Thanks,
Bubba da Turbo Uber idiot

Cookie, nightflght, outlaw, ANYBODY?

IMG_9798.JPG

IMG_9799.JPG

IMG_9800.JPG

Last edited:
Killerrudy might have some info but im sure unless the engine is under load, the vacuum assist isn't going to move.

srtforums.com

if ogre were here he could help, he had one of those cars.

srtforums.com

if ogre were here he could help, he had one of those cars.

Yes. that's his forum, but he is gone and does not have a lot of computer access.
Funny, he even mentioned the Hayabusa.org in one of his post!:laugh:

Thanks, and where is Ogre anyway?

Yes. that's his forum, but he is gone and does not have a lot of computer access.
Funny, he even mentioned the Hayabusa.org in one of his post!:laugh:

Thanks, and where is Ogre anyway?

he joined the military and is in basic.

Killerrudy might have some info but im sure unless the engine is under load, the vacuum assist isn't going to move.

Well, wake him up!!:laugh:

And yes, I will Bump this thread like a cheap carnival ride!:laugh:

Generally on a standard internal wastgate the arm would go out, but the easiest way to tell for sure in this case is the pull the cotter pin and pop off the actuator arm and see which way the flapper moves. I would say its safe to say it functions the same as with a normal internal wastegate.

Pressure builds in the intake and pushes on the diaphram which is connected to the arm.

Generally on a standard internal wastgate the arm would go out, but the easiest way to tell for sure in this case is the pull the cotter pin and pop off the actuator arm and see which way the flapper moves. I would say its safe to say it functions the same as with a normal internal wastegate.

Pressure builds in the intake and pushes on the diaphram which is connected to the arm.

The flapper moves to the left (in the pics) and the arm is tight to the right.
Does this make sense?

yes, and the reason that it doesn't move when he starts the car is because its under vacuum which holds the arm in. When he drives it and it actually builds boost, it will move outwards(left) if you detach the vacuum line that hooks up to the diaphram body on the right from the intake, shoot some light pressure(<15lbs) and you will test the functionality of the wastgate

yes, and the reason that it doesn't move when he starts the car is because its under vacuum which holds the arm in. When he drives it and it actually builds boost, it will move outwards(left) if you detach the vacuum line that hooks up to the diaphram body on the right from the intake, shoot some light pressure(<15lbs) and you will test the functionality of the wastgate

:woot: :woot:

There it is brothers,

Glad I didn't have to Bump this like an old lady's walker at a check out line!:laugh:

Thanks Killer,
You riding this weekend?
Bubba

from srt forums...

The minimum boost you can really run is the spring in the wastegate. If you have an adjustable wastegate and you have it too loose (you can usually tell if it is too loose because you can physically move the wastegate arm back and forth when it is installed) the flapper will just blow open with exhaust pressure and the turbo will never spool.

To answer another question, people upgrade their WGA's becuase the stock WGA's spring is too light, which will blow open from the exhaust pressure after a certain amount of boost. Ultimately the best combo is a boost controller and an aftermarket WGA, but most aftermarket WGA's are adjustable so you can preload the spring to make it open at a higher boost.

from srt forums...

The minimum boost you can really run is the spring in the wastegate. If you have an adjustable wastegate and you have it too loose (you can usually tell if it is too loose because you can physically move the wastegate arm back and forth when it is installed) the flapper will just blow open with exhaust pressure and the turbo will never spool.

To answer another question, people upgrade their WGA's becuase the stock WGA's spring is too light, which will blow open from the exhaust pressure after a certain amount of boost. Ultimately the best combo is a boost controller and an aftermarket WGA, but most aftermarket WGA's are adjustable so you can preload the spring to make it open at a higher boost.

That's what was bugging me. It would not move! Tight as a bugger!.
Thanks, :thumbsup:

I will post up when he returns home and let you know how it runs.
Thanks All, you are the best.
Bubba

I can't say yes right yet. I am working on getting a place and am scrapping every dime right now. So I will have to say no, unless the place I find is cheaper than I am looking at

I can't say yes right yet. I am working on getting a place and am scrapping every dime right now. So I will have to say no, unless the place I find is cheaper than I am looking at

Kind of looks like I may be out too, really sucks, cause this is my favorite run in SD!
Pretty much the best of the best.:banghead:

But someday soon we will do the Candy store, and I will show you the waterfalls on the 74, cool place.

Be a good future-father-in-law and suggest he sell the SRT-4 immediately, and get one of these. This is faster anyway...

IMG_0168.jpg

Kind of looks like I may be out too, really sucks, cause this is my favorite run in SD!
Pretty much the best of the best.:banghead:

But someday soon we will do the Candy store, and I will show you the waterfalls on the 74, cool place.

Bubba,
I need to get to SoCal and ride with you and the rest of the Hoon squad! I am missing the scenery and the great times that I had the last time I was there. It sucks being out of work and not having a lot of money. I just need to win the lottery!

Back