2-Stage of Boost Not Working

Cecil_Stringer

Donating Member
Registered
This weekend I had to do some work on the header... replace and tighten the exhaust bolts.

Anyway... in doing so I removed the radiator, oil cooler and took off the waste gate.

I put everything back together, changed the oil and took her for a test ride.

She's running great on low-boost.

However, when I hit the switch for high-boost there is no noticable difference in the boost output.

The 2nd stage is set at 13lbs... currently it is only registering 5psi (the same as low boost).
The last time I rode the bike before this weekend it was creating high-boost as expected.

I visually re-checked the hoses and connections surrounding the waste gate and boost controller.

Everything appears to be correct.
You can hear the solenoid click when I hit the switch.

Could I of done something wrong with regards to the waste gate?
I removed the two bolts that attach the pipe and physical waste gate from the system.

The reassembly of the waste gate looked pretty straight forward... and I am not sure that this is where my effotrs should be focuesed.

Any ideas on this will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cecil

BikePics.com

BikePics.com

Hi,

Most wastegates come with a valve seat, which goes in between the exhaust flange and the inlet port of the wastegate. The wastegate actuator valve presses against that seat and prevents exhaust leaks in the wastegate.

If you forgot to put that back then the wastegate will continuously leak some exhaust and you'll never have boost building up above a certain level.

The metal seat looks like a 38mm ring and has a thinner skirt on one side. That side should fit the inlet side of the wastegate.

If you didn’t miss this part, a second possibility is that the wastegate actuator is jammed, not closing fully. Your wastegate looks like a Tial , so I don’t think that’s it.

If the wastegate is fine, then it seems that the boost controller for stage one remains activated for whatever reason. That means the wastegate will keep opening at the boost level set for the stage one regardless .
If the boost controller has a bleed valve, you should check for blockage.

Given that you took the wastegate out , I would concentrate on that area. That seat I mentioned is essential .

This is only my opinion and I hope it helps…

This weekend I had to do some work on the header... replace and tighten the exhaust bolts.

Anyway... in doing so I removed the radiator, oil cooler and took off the waste gate.

I put everything back together, changed the oil and took her for a test ride.

She's running great on low-boost.

However, when I hit the switch for high-boost there is no noticable difference in the boost output.

The 2nd stage is set at 13lbs... currently it is only registering 5psi (the same as low boost).
The last time I rode the bike before this weekend it was creating high-boost as expected.

I visually re-checked the hoses and connections surrounding the waste gate and boost controller.

Everything appears to be correct.
You can hear the solenoid click when I hit the switch.

Could I of done something wrong with regards to the waste gate?
I removed the two bolts that attach the pipe and physical waste gate from the system.

The reassembly of the waste gate looked pretty straight forward... and I am not sure that this is where my effotrs should be focuesed.

Any ideas on this will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cecil

BikePics.com

BikePics.com
Oooh!! Oooh!! Oooh!! I KNOW!! I KNOW!! Your pair valve is missing...
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif
Just funnin' with ya Cecil. I hope you get it sorted out.

Back