Post up & share pics of your X-mas presents here!

Went yesterday to have a link taken out of the watch bracelet.

First jewelry store...bent their screwdriver trying to losen a screw in the band. "You'll have to take it somewhere else. Try the Dakota Watch Company kiosk outside." "Thanks anyway" I replied. We surveyed the kiosk recommended, and found it staffed with a bunch of teenagers who were preoccupied with texting. "No way are these people touching this watch" I told my wife, who nodded in agreement. :laugh:

So we drove twenty five miles to the nearest Zales...since the watch was purchased from their online store and the warranty card wasn't filled out by them as it should have been before the watch was shipped. Did I mention this mall is in the ghetto? Four people working there, but "the person who does this won't be back until Wednesday". Nice job cash register monkeys. :laugh: They did manage to find someone who filled out most of the warranty card, though they didn't know what the model number was because they didn't carry Movado in the store. I soon learned why.

Third jewelry store...across the hall from Zales..."We're afraid we'll damage your watch, but we can ship it to the person we use for watch service." What? "No thanks." The salesperson was nice enough to recommend a jewelry store across the mall that had a real jeweler working there. We thanked him and moved on.

Fourth jewelry store. Small man of Asian origin. Didn't speak English fluently, but smiled when I asked him to remove the link. "Seven dollars" he said, sounding confident he was up to the challenge. "No problem" I replied, relieved I'd finally found someone who could operate both a cash register and a screwdriver.

He broke his screwdriver a couple of times while working on the screws, but that didn't stop him. He had a grinder, vise, and dremel-like tool to resharpen his screwdriver.

During the twenty minutes or so he worked to take the link out we wandered around his store examining the goods he had for sale. I'd never been in a ghetto jewelry store, and the experience was intriguing. There were watches in there with dials four inches in diameter with lots of tacky "bling" on them. They looked so bad I couldn't stop looking at them...kind of like seeing a train wreck I imagine.

My wife walked up to me and asked "What's a grill?" I looked to where she was pointing. The guy had posters of people with gold and silver "mouth jewelry" covering their teeth. My wife was horrified...she's super picky about oral hygiene. She wasn't aware of this part of American "culture". I couldn't help but laugh...but not too loudly for fear the wannabe thugs walking around spewing profanity would be offended. I'd hate for one of these grill-wearing members of society to bite me.

The jeweler finished with the link removal. We paid and thanked him, then walked back through the mall while enjoying the profanity sprinkled holiday atmosphere around us.

It was an entertaining experience...cheaper than a movie...with a more interesting plot than many (:poke: Hollywood). I felt a little like Tom Hanks in "Angels and Demons"...on an important quest hindered by obstacles and challenges to overcome...not the least of which was keeping my blood pressure under control while smiling and thanking the jewelry store help for their time.

How can jewelry stores sell watches without having the ability to adjust the size of the band? I think in the future I should stay away from jewelry stores located in malls.

First jewelry store...bent their screwdriver trying to losen a screw in the band. "You'll have to take it somewhere else. Try the Dakota Watch Company kiosk outside." "Thanks anyway" I replied. We surveyed the kiosk recommended, and found it staffed with a bunch of teenagers who were preoccupied with texting. "No way are these people touching this watch" I told my wife, who nodded in agreement. :laugh:

So we drove twenty five miles to the nearest Zales...since the watch was purchased from their online store and the warranty card wasn't filled out by them as it should have been before the watch was shipped. Did I mention this mall is in the ghetto? Four people working there, but "the person who does this won't be back until Wednesday". Nice job cash register monkeys. :laugh: They did manage to find someone who filled out most of the warranty card, though they didn't know what the model number was because they didn't carry Movado in the store. I soon learned why.

Third jewelry store...across the hall from Zales..."We're afraid we'll damage your watch, but we can ship it to the person we use for watch service." What? "No thanks." The salesperson was nice enough to recommend a jewelry store across the mall that had a real jeweler working there. We thanked him and moved on.

Fourth jewelry store. Small man of Asian origin. Didn't speak English fluently, but smiled when I asked him to remove the link. "Seven dollars" he said, sounding confident he was up to the challenge. "No problem" I replied, relieved I'd finally found someone who could operate both a cash register and a screwdriver.

He broke his screwdriver a couple of times while working on the screws, but that didn't stop him. He had a grinder, vise, and dremel-like tool to resharpen his screwdriver.

During the twenty minutes or so he worked to take the link out we wandered around his store examining the goods he had for sale. I'd never been in a ghetto jewelry store, and the experience was intriguing. There were watches in there with dials four inches in diameter with lots of tacky "bling" on them. They looked so bad I couldn't stop looking at them...kind of like seeing a train wreck I imagine.

My wife walked up to me and asked "What's a grill?" I looked to where she was pointing. The guy had posters of people with gold and silver "mouth jewelry" covering their teeth. My wife was horrified...she's super picky about oral hygiene. She wasn't aware of this part of American "culture". I couldn't help but laugh...but not too loudly for fear the wannabe thugs walking around spewing profanity would be offended. I'd hate for one of these grill-wearing members of society to bite me.

The jeweler finished with the link removal. We paid and thanked him, then walked back through the mall while enjoying the profanity sprinkled holiday atmosphere around us.

It was an entertaining experience...cheaper than a movie...with a more interesting plot than many (:poke: Hollywood). I felt a little like Tom Hanks in "Angels and Demons"...on an important quest hindered by obstacles and challenges to overcome...not the least of which was keeping my blood pressure under control while smiling and thanking the jewelry store help for their time.

How can jewelry stores sell watches without having the ability to adjust the size of the band? I think in the future I should stay away from jewelry stores located in malls.

ironic that all the high end stores couldn't fix your watch. you can get anything you need in the "ghetto"

Could of Bought half a bike with this. Thats my girl.

1.jpg

At least they were competant enough to tell you they could not do it. It might have been bad if they thought they could do it. Nice Watch.

empty wallet, cologne, bag of "goodies", Joe rocket riding pants.. {got them real earily},
some Underarmour for under the gear, hoodies and work gloves....
Family was over for turkey, that was a nice gift too.

{working on a NEW Years gift for myself, Sidi megagore.:laugh:}

vertigomegagoretex_LRG[1].jpg

Last edited:

Very nice. :beerchug:

At least they were competant enough to tell you they could not do it. It might have been bad if they thought they could do it. Nice Watch.

Good point. In fact that's why I didn't mess with it. I'm certain I could have done it, but I wanted someone with more experience than I have to do it. Thanks.

empty wallet, cologne, bag of "goodies", Joe rocket riding pants.. {got them real earily},

Nice boots. I should put them on next year's list. :cheerleader:

lmao... what did u expect to come in the waller??

F-MA I truely enjoy reading ur post.. expecially because I grew up in that life(style) of course I'm all grown up now. but when I look again from someone elses point of view.. it is pretty funny.

even funnier I had one of thoses 4in X 4in watches ur speaking of.. couldn't tell u what happend to it after all the bling fell of or fadded!!
Posted via Mobile Device

lmao... what did u expect to come in the waller??

F-MA I truely enjoy reading ur post.. expecially because I grew up in that life(style) of course I'm all grown up now. but when I look again from someone elses point of view.. it is pretty funny.

even funnier I had one of thoses 4in X 4in watches ur speaking of.. couldn't tell u what happend to it after all the bling fell of or fadded!!
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh: I grew up dirt poor myself, but not in the inner city. I grew up in redneckville...the kind of place where you'd be happy if someone gave you a confederate flag sticker to put in the window of your rusted out pick up truck.

Sure don't miss those days...not for a second.

My wife had a very sheltered life in another country far away.

Last edited:
:laugh: I grew up dirt poor myself, but not in the inner city. I grew up in redneckville...the kind of place where you'd be happy if someone gave you a confederate flag sticker to put in the window of your rusted out pick up truck.

Me too. but don't go to cali with that sticker. they think it means something else.

:lol: This was a great "tale of da hood" story :thumbsup:
"while enjoying the profanity sprinkled holiday atmosphere around us." :rofl:

In all seriousness...I give you props for going into the process as far as you did. I can't imagine how nervous I'd be after the 1st screwdriver broke. Let alone to have it happen a few more times. Glad you finally got it fit to your need.

That sir....is a beautiful watch as well! :thumbsup:

Didn't get the Tiger Woods model though huh? :whistle:

:laugh:

I got a itouch I am usind itright now this thing is awesome also got a new coAt and throttle meister still hard to type with this thing tho

this was my gift from my girl 10.000 otd got it two weeks before christmas and my friends son saying this is how fast your bike is lol

busa.jpg

Last edited:
Back