ST1300 / FJ1300 Any inside scoop

DevilDawg1

Registered
Anyone on here have any personal experience with either one of these bikes?

Going today to look at these with a friend of mine.

I have read alot of the reviews on M---CY---Worl---.com, but would prefer any of you guys to give a decent camparison to the Busa or just your experience.

Thanks

I had the FJR. Very nice bike but a lot of heat on you. Problem has been addressed and much improved. Seat is hard and must go. Other than that it was a wonderful bike. I installed the Heli top clamp which is a wonderful improvement.

I originally bought this as a two up bike but it is not for that, at least not a long way. I sold mine for 12500 but had thousands in upgrades. It was a bike I liked but never fell in love with.

As far as the Kaw, well, I have not heard on thing bad about it. Has the power and the braking and they lifted the bar leaving Yamaha to catch up.

Both very nice.

r8

013-1.jpg

002-6.jpg

Bought it on the spot.

0132.jpg

I was at our local {small} bike show last weekend..
there was a guy there promoting the Iron butt rally... He has rode this rally several time on his ST 1300 honda... Only machanical he has over the years was a blown fuse...
The year he drove through the remains of "katrina"
IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders

Lots of guys in Long Distance Rallying use the 1300. Big fuel load (7.5 gal tank) , comfortable and loads of extra Electrical power for EVERYTHING :cheerleader:! The only down sides that I know of is: Looks (kinda of Stale) and weight ! This bike IS on the Heavy side ! It's just a small Goldwing and I suggest you get ABS on your model. With all that weight you could need all the help you can get.

And as far as my own outlook on the bike, well, it's one of the bikes I'am looking at to do a 4 corners (making all four corners of the US in 18 days) run in two years. Why, LOW maintance, shaft drive, long range (without additional fuel tanks), luggage that can be detached with ease AND all that electro additional power for my gaggets :laugh:

Anyone on here have any personal experience with either one of these bikes?

My neighbour rides a 2006 FJR. He loves the bike. It's wheelbase is similar to the Busa, and the horsepower is over 150hp, but doesn't come on as aggressive as on the Busa. The sealed driveshaft takes no maintenance. It makes a great tourer - he has the side (in pic) and top (not in pic) hard bags and has a lot of storage (at least space for 4 helmets and more, to give you an idea). Windscreen and head-lights (aim) are adjustable while riding (electric). Bike is very agile - I have followed him through the twisties and there is no slowing down. Seating is more upright - won't tire you out. he picked this bike after extensive research of touring-style bikes - he has other bikes - mainly to use on overnight trips. It has become his favorite day-ride bike - this should give you an idea.

fjr.JPG

Professional Demo rider here...

The ST1300 is extemely weak. Typical Honda smoothness and reliability but
no UMPH, especially if your coming off a Busa. It's more a touring bike
than a sport tourer.

FJR has more gusto. Maybe not quite as polished but more kick.

Riding position and adjustable windshields, etc are about a push.

If it were me though...I wouldn't get nothing but the Concours.
That thing will move.

Between the two mentioned though, you have to decide utimate reliability and
smooth engine at the risk of getting bored or the FJR for a little more fun.

I'd do the FJR...the ST is to underpowered for me.

Again though, the concours beats both on all counts.

I just bought a Connie. Just, all of 118 miles on her. It does move out in a hurry. The FJR and ST1300 were all lined up beside her at the dealer. Neither caught my eye like the Kawi.

ST1300 never even considered it, ugly. The FJR was a distant second. Better than the ST though. The reveiws I have seen put the Connie above and beyond all other bikes in it's class including the BMW.

DSC00210.jpg

I just bought a Connie. Just, all of 118 miles on her. It does move out in a hurry. The FJR and ST1300 were all lined up beside her at the dealer. Neither caught my eye like the Kawi.

ST1300 never even considered it, ugly. The FJR was a distant second. Better than the ST though. The reveiws I have seen put the Connie above and beyond all other bikes in it's class including the BMW.

Very nice! :bowdown:

Yup, all road tests show the Connie as top dog.

Love your ride by the way.

r8

Professional Demo rider here...

If it were me though...I wouldn't get nothing but the Concours.
That thing will move.

gain though, the concours beats both on all counts.

ditto, ditto, ditto!!!!!

with the concours packin a base ZX14 powerplant into a hardbagg'in ST'er that's comfy enough to ride all the way to where riding sport bikes is fun?....kinda makes one wonder why suzi hasn't entered the octagon with a simular busa motor based offering...oh..that's right...they went b king.

:whistle:

Good Morning All,

The bike was not for me it is for a friend of mine that I went with to look.

The ST1300 is the Honda version of a Sport Touring bike.

I suggested looking at the Kawasaki, but he doesn't like the Kawwy.

I have rode with him for alot of years. I pretty sure he is set on the Yamaha. We are located in North, Georgia close to the Tennessee state line (Chattanooga). We rode to Southern Honda Power Sports (Chattanooga) to look and then down to Marietta, close to Atlanta (Motion Power Sports and another place called WOW motorcycles, the 2d place deals in used bikes and they had a huge inventory of all makes and models to choose from).

Anyone know of any big dealers that are close to my area?

Thanks for all the input please keep it coming, need all the knowledge I can get.

He will be paying CASH for the bike as well.

Lets not forget the ZZR1200. I own one and its a great sport tourer with more emphysis on sport. Wicked quick it will destry the Honda and the Yamaha is a sprint or top end , yet will cradle you in comfort with sportbike looks. The best part is you can pick up a used one for dirt cheap. The zzr1200 is in the same group as the ST and FJ. 2005 was the last year. Although the Connie is a better tourer, the ZZR is a fantastic bike.

Last edited:
Lets not forget the ZZR1200. I own one and its a great sport tourer with more emphysis on sport. Wicked quick it will destry the Honda and the Yamaha is a sprint or top end , yet will cradle you in comfort with sportbike looks. The best part is you can pick up a used one for dirt cheap. The zzr1200 is in the same group as the ST and FJ. 2005 was the last year. Although the Connie is a better tourer, the ZZR is a fantastic bike.

I agree with that! It would be my first choice for a sport touring mount if I could not afford a new Connie.

Back