first oil change done!

shawnski

Donating Member
Registered
ok guys, about 580 miles on the bike and decide to do the oil change myself after all the nightnares about removing the fairing, well.. i decided not to take off the fairing, all i did was took out two bottom plastic fastners and push some of the fairing out and hold it apart with screwdriver between the fairing and header. with oil wrench i loosen up the oil filter and came out easy. the only problem i had was the oil pan plug, the son of the gun was so thight i almost gave up, finally got it out.
fight.gif
no problem and got done quick!! thank god!!!!

question for you guys is, i tighten my chain up too and how come this bike does not have safety metal pin goes through axle nut area. any reason for that? any ideas why?

Wow! Good info!Now I can't wait to do the oil only have 130mi so far,freakin 40 degrees still. Oh that nut on the axle looks like a jam (locking)nut it won't spin off freely .

ok guys, about 580 miles on the bike and decide to do the oil change myself after all the nightnares about removing the fairing, well.. i decided not to take off the fairing, all i did was took out two bottom plastic fastners and push some of the fairing out and hold it apart with screwdriver between the fairing and header. with oil wrench i loosen up the oil filter and came out easy. the only problem i had was the oil pan plug, the son of the gun was so thight i almost gave up, finally got it out.
fight.gif

question for you guys is, i tighten my chain up too and how come this bike does not have safety metal pin goes through axle nut area. any reason for that? any ideas why?
wish you took pics...next member trying this hope you do!

fight.gif

Yep, this is the way I've done the last 2 changes. I bet U most techs are doing them the same way. Time is money and that fairing removal is a killer.

Good info. I will be doing my next oil change before the bash. My chain is due for an adjustment too!!! Monday will be the day for me to go through her and make sure she is read for her trip to the dragon!!!!

fight.gif

hmmm i must be purdy stupid, i tried to change my oil this way and couldnt get it to release all that much to access the filter, it wanted to stay hooked to the inner cowling thus not letting me pull it out far enough to get my hand/wrench in there.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, good info I have my first oil change coming up, I'm going to try this way also. Thanks.
thumb_up.gif

Hmmmmmmmmmm, good info I have my first oil change coming up, I'm going to try this way also. Thanks.
thumb_up.gif
if you having problem puling the fairing out long enough, unscrew the bolt to the plastic part by foot peg and release the plastic there, that should get you more room.

good luck.

HOW??? I took out the 2 push pins that are just behing the front wheel on the bottom. Those 2? If it's those 2 and that's it, it's not going anywhere close to being far out enough to get the filter out. HELP! I also took out the bolt that's at the foot peg and that didn't help at all. Anyone?

fight.gif

I got the 2 retainer plugs out but having problems splitting the front lower cowling , it is to the point that I use a little more elbow grease to get it off , or am im missing somthing else to get it off , Help

DSCN0176.JPG

You guys trip me out, work harder trying to work around the fairing than learning to pull it off.
Really, take your time and use the PowerPoint presentation pinned at the top of this forum with pics of the fasteners and locations and learn to remove it. If not I see old filter gaskets left in place causing leaks, filters applied with out required torque, lots of oil left all over the headers. It is daunting the first time but be patient and do not pull at stuff hard. If you dont feel like you cant do it with the pictures in that Power Point instruction you should probably let the dealer do it. For those who do remove the plastic, put some grease on the grommets before reinstalling and it will be much easier going back on and off again next time.

Back