Installing Chocks

Rayabusa0818

Never Forgotten
I asked for this forum so I will get it started.

A friend is going to help me install my Condor Chocks in the trailer this Wednesday. I am thinking I should install the chocks as far back in the trailer as possible that will allow the rear door to easily close. My thoughts are that this would give me maximum room up front for gear and other stuff. Does anyone see a problem with this?

IMAGE_00066.jpg

I dont like it. Not sure how long it is inside, but by putting them closer to the ramp door will allow you to secure a toolbox or even shelves up front. If you put them foward, your side door will be useless if you have 2 bikes in there. If you plan on using a good size toolbox, you will now have to put it behind the bikes and now everytime you need to pull the bikes out, toolbox has to come out first.

I dont like it. Not sure how long it is inside, but by putting them closer to the ramp door will allow you to secure a toolbox or even shelves up front. If you put them foward, your side door will be useless if you have 2 bikes in there. If you plan on using a good size toolbox, you will now have to put it behind the bikes and now everytime you need to pull the bikes out, toolbox has to come out first.
Maybe I wasn't very clear, but I think that is what I tried to say. I want maximum room up front.
winkold.gif

You will want to center the bikes over the axles as much as possible if you are trying to carry them on the rear most part of the trailer. If you have to much weight on the rear of the trailer you will get lift on the rear of the tow vehicle. This can cause serious handling issues and likely an accident.

You will want to center the bikes over the axles as much as possible if you are trying to carry them on  the rear most part of the trailer. If you have to much weight on the rear of the trailer you will get lift on the rear of the tow vehicle. This can cause serious handling issues and likely an accident.
+10000

Don,
Tomorrow I will post pics of what I have done to my trailer... I have a single Condor Chock placed along the lines of what Brendan said.

As long as your toolbox and misc. equipment you are hauling counters the weight of the bikes, then you should be okay. But you'd always have to carry the equipment every time you haul the bikes. That would be a pretty big tool box to counter a couple bikes though.

Agreed. If you will measure the bikes and then place the chocks so the balance point of the trailer is slightly forward of the axle, you will be able to haul the bikes without gear. When you haul the bikes and gear, so much the better. If you dont have enough tongue weight, the trailer will fishtail.

As long as your toolbox and misc. equipment you are hauling counters the weight of the bikes, then you should be okay.  But you'd always have to carry the equipment every time you haul the bikes.  That would be a pretty big tool box to counter a couple bikes though.
Don, I tried to center the busas over the axels as much as I could, but my tool box, generator, compressor and other gear balances it out. My trailer tows perfect like this. One thing you might want to consider when placing the chock is if like me, you might haul a busa that has a stretched swingarm on occation. You will need to leave extra room so the door will close. I set the last row up for this as I haul "noodles" stretched busa at times.

4_busas_headed_for_bash_in_trailer.jpg

Thanks Hal, what is your trailer width, 8'? It looks like you may lose a little floor space to wheel wells. I don't think I will have any issues sitting the Busa and the 750 side by side in my 7 footer. See picture in Post # 1.

I helped someone install 2 condor chocks. I lasered him out 2 plates 3/16" thick steel with 4 holes in it for securing it underneath the trailer I dont exactly like just using washers. The plate helps spread out the load on the bolts....

Thanks Hal, what is your trailer width, 8'?  It looks like you may lose a little floor space to wheel wells.  I don't think I will have any issues sitting the Busa and the 750 side by side in my 7 footer.  See picture in Post # 1.
Yes my trailer is 8' X 20'. The wheel wells are 6" deep inside so that leaves 7' like yours. Should be able to put two busas side by side and still be able to walk between them. As you can see I use the wheel well to mount my spare busa wheels and the spare trailer tire on the other.

tlr3.jpg

I helped someone install 2 condor chocks. I lasered him out 2 plates 3/16" thick steel with 4 holes in it for securing it underneath the trailer I dont exactly like just using washers. The plate helps spread out the load on the bolts....
I like the plate idea too, but I used my router and installed them inside the trailer . I can remove the chock in a couple of seconds and the plates are flush with the floor so you don't trip on them. I use the same thing to secure my stands.

tlr6.jpg

I like the plate idea too, but I used my router and installed them inside the trailer . I can remove the chock in a couple of seconds and the plates are flush with the floor so you don't trip on them. I use the same thing to secure my stands.
I really like this! I may have to set something like this up!

I really like this!  I may have to set something like this up!
Having them flush to the floor helps if 40 guys want to work on someones busa at the same time they won't trip.
laugh.gif

MC_mustang_bessie_finished.jpg

Back