All souped up!

Powers739

Donating Member
Registered
Well, I ordered Soupy's links to raise the rear 1". The links are acutally adjustable or a range of +1" (raised) to -1" (lowered).

Soupy links $75 to the door.
DSC03890.jpg

The first thing I did for my installation was to remove the belly pen (I know, it's belly pan, but it's a board joke)

Stock Links.
DSC03939.jpg

DSC03954.jpg

I removed the rear because the tire was past due for replacement.

Then break the link bolts loose, they might be a little tough because of the tread lock. I thought it was a good idea to get them broken free before suspending the rear.

17mm nut with a 14mm bolt head.
DSC03943.jpg

Now that everything is broken free. Put the bike on the rear stand. Now we need to unload the suspension, I used a rachet strap, not the best choice because there is no easy way to lower. So I just barely took the pressure off the susupension, about 1mm off the rear stand.
DSC03955.jpg

DSC03957.jpg

Now remove the link bolts and remove links. On the upper part of the link you may think there isn't clearance to remove the bolt.
DSC03963.jpg

All you need to do is lower the rear stand and allow the swingarm to move in order to get clearance to remove the bolt.

The links removed and compared to soupy links
DSC03965.jpg

DSC03969.jpg

DSC03966.jpg

The only problem was that one of the soupy link eyes was not drilled to the right diameter so I had to open it up a little. Not a big deal.

Now install the new links. I found it easier to align the bolts by install the bolts and links on opposite sides and then use the rear stand to position the swing arm until the holes lined up.
DSC03970.jpg

DSC03972.jpg

DSC03973.jpg

DSC03974.jpg

I placed a chunk of wood under the bike just in case gravity wanted to take over, it just may save my arm.

I forgot to mention, while the bolts are out you will want to clean up the threads of the old thread lock.

Now that the bolts are in places, put some "red" type thread lock compound on the threads and tension the nuts to 60 ft/lbs.
DSC03979.jpg

DSC03980.jpg

DSC03981.jpg

DSC03989.jpg

Now make adjustment accordingly.  Now I raised mine 1", I measured both sides to make sure the were equal.  With the rear rim removed it was pretty easy to adjust and ensure they were the same length.  You can always start with a both the same length and then count turns.

Now you can re-install the belly pen (joke) and load the suspension back up.  This is where a rachet strap would be bad if you were to lower the bike.  Now since I raised mine, when I placed the rear stand back under the swing arm spools it took the tension off the straps so I didn't have to release the straps with pressure on them.  I guess you could always just break it loose, but that would be an uncontrolled release and not recommended.  Now for me, I needed mine back on the stand and re-install the rim, with new tire Metzeler Sportec M1.

DSC04003.jpg

Roadlok installed and locked
DSC04004.jpg

This was a one man job.  Now I need to adjust the front headlight.

While I had the bike up I adjusted the rear shock spring, I wanted a little more pre-tension for my fat butt...

Backed off the locking ring
DSC03983.jpg

DSC03985.jpg

DSC03988.jpg

wow! very nice write-up! sorry about the small hole. was it possibly just a burr?

No problem with the smaller than normal hole, it just I'm not where my tools are (temporary job assignment). It was about 1/32nd too small. Like I said, no problem... Now the fun starts, suspension setup....

Nice write up, Soup'ys the man! You should pm this post!!

(SOUPY @ Feb. 12 2007,22:15) wow!  very nice write-up!  sorry about the small hole.  was it possibly just a burr?
Just curious here.

Can you tell me what the purpose of the counterbored ends are? The stock link is not counterbored. Just wondering why it was here?

Looks like a nice, sturdy item.

the counterbore is there to match the thickness of the stock links. with my links, no extra hardware is needed (as in longer bolts). simply replace your stock links with mine and go! the stock locking element on the link mounting bolt and nut is still engaged.

trust me....it would be nice if i didnt have to do that extra step in the manufacturing process, but i take great pride in my products being a DIRECT bolt-on.

Direct bolt on is the way to go. It was easy to do, the hardest part would be suspending the rear to unload the suspension, but there are several ways to do it. If you already have a way to suspend the rear, the process should take about 15 minutes at the most...

Soupy's links are a top quality product and thanks for a great write-up Powers739
beerchug.gif

Back