Engine side case cover: how to...

mizfire

Registered
I began to remove this cover [alternator?], but found a strong magnetic pull resisting removal.
Is it just a matter of pulling harder, & will cover re-install w/o any trick alignment procedures etc? [Im a bit gun shy..]

MVC_022F.JPG

I have never taken mine off so I am not an expert here but the service manual calls it the generator cover. A generator has magnets in it to generate a magnetic field that is cut by the coil in the generator to induce voltage. I would say you should feel some magnetic pull when removing the cover.

be careful! the stator is bolted to the inside of the generator cover. you should be able to pull it out, but don't pull wildly, or the leads (running to the regulator?) that come out to the top-rear of the cover could pull loose. After removing, you can take out the 3 bolts holding the stator in place, hang it off to the side and continue to work on your cover. Can't remember if the orientation was critical for re-assembly, but I'd say mark it, just in case...

(Just had mine powder coated to cover some scrapes...)

-- Steve

<!--EDIT|expat
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120534660 -->

Just checked the parts manual , after you remove the ring of bolts the cover is held on with two dowels , so a bit of gentle levering will pop it off..

Thanks guys!

Expats post: "...be careful! the stator is bolted to the inside of the generator cover..". This is what I was looking for, an indication that the cover has something bolted to its inside.

I too am doing a cosmetic service on this cover as 'busa got laid down
sad.gif

I think I'll just refinish it on bike.......

Hey, do you have a copy of the service manual? I has been very usefull to me so far. If not you can get it here

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120538981 -->

I decided to go for it...turns out to be as indicated.

Heres a pic of whats on the inside of alternator [or gen] cover.
Two bolts for pick up unit of sorts, & three for stator [as noted by expat].

MVC_022F.JPG

Just BE CAREFUL when replacing it. You will want your fingers away tucked away to the side of the cover when replacing because when you get the cover close, that magnet will pull that cover real hard. I've seen what kind of damage that cover will do to fingers if they are caught... and it's not pretty. Just be careful.

2nd watch out when putting back on. It's going to pull itself on with more force then you can handle. There's some tabs to hold it with best grip. It's going to snap onto the pilot pins, turn for fine adjusting.
Some problems with leaking oil from around the stator cover. May want to use some auto silicon gasket sealer all around. Althought the manual only has silicon used on the crankcase split joints +/- 3/4" and on the rubber gromet where the wiring goes through 360 degrees (cover and engine surfaces).
Found out that's a 400 watt stator, nice. Bike before was 140 watts
blush.gif

Thanks for all the great info guys!!!

Now the question is Woodcraft Black or Silver???
Thinking silver with stainless puck would look nice against silver part of my fairing.....any thoughts???
IMG_0667.jpg

Don't know about silver, but here is what it looks like against blue...

Dragon.jpg

when you put it back on, place something lets say the width of your finger between the 2 pieces...the magnet is strong enough that it will pull the cover right out of your hands and pinch your fingers between the case's...once you get your fingers out of the way you can take the spacer out:poke:

FYI...when I changed my stock cover to the Woodcraft cover...I quickley found out that the mag pickup / timing pickup inside the cover had negative clearance and was destroyed in a few revolutions...The peice has a tiny bit of slop when bolting down in the new cover...so try to cheat it away from the stator and you should be ok.

Ryan

Thanks for the photos MC and Test!
Anybody got a photo with silver fairing and silver cover?

So besides possible finger decapitation and electrocution... it's a piece o cake!

FYI...when I changed my stock cover to the Woodcraft cover...I quickley found out that the mag pickup / timing pickup inside the cover had negative clearance and was destroyed in a few revolutions...The peice has a tiny bit of slop when bolting down in the new cover...so try to cheat it away from the stator and you should be ok.

Ryan

Anybody else had this issue??? Seems unique considering the CAD design of the Woodcraft covers?
Also, any issues in getting the lead wiring back into the new cover?
Do you have to take apart the leads and feed them through the opening?

Back