The 'Wing gets airbags?

DAB

Registered
From New Scientist

AFTER 15 years of research, Honda has announced it will introduce the first airbag system for motorbikes next year.

Four crash sensors mounted on the front fork of the bike detect the deceleration caused by a collision. This alerts an electronic control unit, which triggers an airbag in front of the rider to inflate. The bag inflates just 60 milliseconds after the moment of impact.

The airbag absorbs some of the forward energy of the rider and reduces the speed at which they are thrown from the bike. Honda says the system can significantly reduce fatalities and the severity of injuries in head-on collisions. It does not protect against collisions from the side or rear.

The airbag system will make its first appearance on Honda's Gold Wing touring bikes in the US in early 2006, and in Europe later in the year.

I never saw a Goldwing crash. Will they even tip over?
tounge.gif

If I need an airbag I just put the wife on behind me. Those airbags are nice, Soft and comfortable. And I have landed on them many times with no injuries.

The goldwing is like a swiss army motorcycle.
How much does this thing weigh now, like 2000 lbs?

It looks like there's some old, fat woman goin' head-first thru the screen in the second pic! You can even see her garter straps!
tounge.gif

Now, that said, look at the first pic... First ya t-bone the a-hole that pulls out in front of you...then you get a face fulla a$$ !
wow.gif

I have on and it is classified as a SUV. And if it falls over there is a way for 1 person to pick it up easier than you think. Just start it up, put it in reverse and lift at the same time and it will right itself. I have seen it done several times.

<!--EDIT|Goldwanger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126896320 -->

I have on and it is classified as a SUV. And if it falls over there is a way for 1 person to pick it up easier than you think. Just start it up, put it in reverse and lift at the same time and it will right itself. I have seen it done several times.
Seriously? That's just about the spiffiest thing I've heard all day. Wish I could see a video of it. It would probably rival the clip of the guy turning the busa around on its kickstand.

Seriously? That's just about the spiffiest thing I've heard all day. Wish I could see a video of it. It would probably rival the clip of the guy turning the busa around on its kickstand.
i spin mine on the stand all the time, simple stuff

Go to the GWRRA (Gold Wing Road Riders Assoc) website and find the link to right a Goldwing. It really works. With the engine running in nuetral you just push the reverse button and lift on the rear grab rail and the low side handlebar while lifting with your legs and it will come right up. A Goldwing will only fall a short amount and the crash bars will catch it.

Back