Leathers with air bags

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
3 more years before it hits us street riders;

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
On track there was significant moment on track when Gilera rider Marco Simoncelli crashed and activated an airbag in his Dainese suit. The D-Air system uses three accelerometers, three gyros and a GPS system to decide when to use the little gas cylinder carried in the hump of the leathers to pump 37 litres of gas into the airbags that protect neck and shoulders in less than 40 milliseconds.

Dainese say it's primarily a collarbone saver.

All the European manufacturers of automotive airbags said it couldn't be done, Dainese took three years to develop the electronics and are now confident enough to deploy it on track.[/quote]

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Nov/071102rn.htm

I worked with a development engineer several years ago who moved to Italy to work on this project. Heard he ran into Visa issues and moved back to Utah. Pretty interesting technology!
thumb_up.gif

Great idea and a great confidence builder. I know I'm more confident in full leathers than without them. Technology like this will sure make for some faster riders out there. Notice I didn't say more experienced. The "need to brush with near life ending experiences" just got harder. The safer you make it... the faster I can/need to go. Just my .02

Great idea and a great confidence builder. I know I'm more confident in full leathers than without them. Technology like this will sure make for some faster riders out there. Notice I didn't say more experienced. The "need to brush with near life ending experiences" just got harder. The safer you make it... the faster I can/need to go. Just my .02
laugh.gif
I've been saying that about cars for years.  The roads would be a much safer place if the driver's side air bag was replaced with a 10" spike.

laugh.gif
I've been saying that about cars for years.  The roads would be a much safer place if the driver's side air bag was replaced with a 10" spike.
SHOCKED.gif

Motogp.com has a video showing it open up when the 125cc rider lowsided. It didn't inflate until after the initial fall. But it would protect for any tumbling after the initial hit. Plus they might refine it more before it hits the streets.

Basically looks like a life jacket when inflated.

Here's a pic of it deflated after it was used.

qp.jpg

Back