MotoGP 2024

So this is essentially the bike that won the 23 title. Will Ducati improve the GP24 enough to keep Marquez from upsetting the Apple cart? About to find out.
1707186419072.png

Interesting shot of the (probably one of several in development!) new Ducati GP24 lower fairing seen at the Shakedown. I think its just a matter of time till one of them shows a blown diffuser system of some kind. I find the technology interesting, but aesthetically the new GP bikes are just horrendous to look at compared to the likes of say a Cagiva C594, a bike I personally think was the high water mark of the genre in the looks department.

Took about a day!

Interesting hire. Davide Brivio returning to MotoGP from F1 as the Team Principal of the Trackhouse Aprilia Squad. This is going to be interesting to watch. He is a known Champion maker, Miguel Oliveira might have just hit the jackpot, If Aprilia's progression continues at its current rate!

Now that the Sepang test has concluded I took a look at the lap times from this years test compared to last years test. Pretty Eye opening, Lap Record destroyed. 2024 results shown first , then 2023 same test. Over 1.2 seconds faster at the top between Pecco's time this year and Luca's last year. Binder Improved (didn't make the top 12 list in the previous year as shown below) by 1.5 seconds, Alex and Marc both improved by about 1.45 seconds, Martin 1.35. Qatar test upcoming in a few weeks, First race in less than a month! I cant wait!
1707444829416.png

1707444892487.png

I think it comes down to whether MotoGp is about a show or about the best prototype bikes possible. BMW said they were not interested in the class because it was so limiting, and $3 million for a bike that doesn't explore the possibilities is more expensive than a real prototype that costs $5 million but pushes the boundary. Even Yamaha considered pulling out when they lost control of the ECU (which is when the M1 began its decline). Remember that FIM would not allow the game-changing machine-laid CF frame BMW developed that would run rings around current GP bikes,

There are a lot of things that are possible right now. Like smart ECUs that automatically remember tracks and adjust the engine/suspension during a race. Or even variable aero (low drag on straights, max downforce for braking & turning). Or even a space-age cooling system that allows designers to get rid of the big scoop bikes have right behind the front wheel.

I get the racing part, but I also don't get holding back technology artificially. Maybe we need a 250 max speed limiter because its too dangerous, but going 10-20 mph faster in the turns will increase lap times as much as blasting down the back straight at 300 mph.

Back