Can anyone here tell me what "Like an AR15" really means?

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I am finding it increasingly odd that we have not heard of the make nor model of the firearm used in the Illinois shooting. The weapon has been described as "Like an AR15" so does that mean it fires the same round or looks the same? The longer the information is withheld the more skeptical I get...

Cap

I am finding it increasingly odd that we have not heard of the make nor model of the firearm used in the Illinois shooting. The weapon has been described as "Like an AR15" so does that mean it fires the same round or looks the same? The longer the information is withheld the more skeptical I get...

Cap
Hi. What I think they mean is it looked like an assault rifle. It can fire the 223 or the 556 or the 762. And as you know assault rifles can NOT be sold in the USA. They like to scare people with like an assault weapon.

I doubt the actual make of the weapon used is relevant. Describing it as a lookalike assault rifle or AR15 makes sense to me. I have a .44 magnum semi auto carbine but it’s not magazine fed and has a wooden stock. It does not look like an ‘assault’ rifle. Here’s a couple pics of some of the ridiculous American gun owners we have. Take your pick.

B1EAB310-D5B0-4195-9F1A-46E9773DAFAD.jpeg

4F360872-4F31-4A88-A880-D56A6F8C6011.jpeg

I doubt the actual make of the weapon used is relevant. Describing it as a lookalike assault rifle or AR15 makes sense to me. I have a .44 magnum semi auto carbine but it’s not magazine fed and has a wooden stock. It does not look like an ‘assault’ rifle. Here’s a couple pics of some of the ridiculous American gun owners we have. Take your pick.

View attachment 1653162

View attachment 1653163
Hi. WOW kind of cook cook crazy. I would really like to have my M 60 but there is no way to carry it. I could never keep it in the house as someone could brake in and steel it. Like I have said I keep my guns around me 24/7. To get my gun you would have to kill me.

Cap
An AR-15 is a Colt made weapon with an action designed by Eugene Stoner for the M-16.

Many other companies make a weapon system based on the AR-15 action but aren't AR-15s.

Kind of like in pre WW2 where Mauser designed many bolt action weapon platforms which were adapted by Springfield, BSA and Lee Enfield....they all had the same action.

Cap
I'm tracking what you are asking now.....

I read he had 4 weapons. A Keltec sub2000 is what they are referring to as AR-like. The only similarity is that it’s black and they don’t want us to have it. He also had a shotgun, a bolt action rifle, and a glock 43x.

Where did you find this information, I have been looking for it but haven't been able to find it. The only reference I can still find is referencing an "AR15 Style".

I'm tracking what you are asking now.....

Sorry, I didn't put a lot of time into the wordsmithing my thoughts... I will reiterate this trigger man is pure evil and I have no mercy for him, What I am trying to wrap my head around is the media.. Had this been an AR15 then they would be screaming it from the rooftops. Since it appears from other post that it was a KelTec then what we are seeing is the media clearly trying to manipulate the people. That is the point I was trying to make fellas...

Sorry, I didn't put a lot of time into the wordsmithing my thoughts... I will reiterate this trigger man is pure evil and I have no mercy for him, What I am trying to wrap my head around is the media.. Had this been an AR15 then they would be screaming it from the rooftops. Since it appears from other post that it was a KelTec then what we are seeing is the media clearly trying to manipulate the people. That is the point I was trying to make fellas...
The media is about ratings, popularity and money these days....gone are the old hard-nosed reporters of yesteryear who were only after the facts...

Maybe just maybe someone in power has finally ‘got it’ and instead of calling it an outright branded AR they’re trying to describe its appearance, as compared to a deer rifle for example. All the platforms that copy the AR’s design look very much like the original AR but now come in all colors, camo etc with various sighting systems and so on.

Maybe just maybe someone in power has finally ‘got it’ and instead of calling it an outright branded AR they’re trying to describe its appearance, as compared to a deer rifle for example. All the platforms that copy the AR’s design look very much like the original AR but now come in all colors, camo etc with various sighting systems and so on.
Would it not suffice to simply say a rifle and not try to demonize or compare it to something else? They could have just as easy said a rifle that is not an AR15 but they aren't doing that.

I don't want to put a stake in the ground and start an argument but this is a good example of how important words are and how they can be used for your cause with the addition or even the exclusion of words to spin the truth..... Just a sad place we are in all around...

Cap

Would it not suffice to simply say a rifle and not try to demonize or compare it to something else? They could have just as easy said a rifle that is not an AR15 but they aren't doing that.

I don't want to put a stake in the ground and start an argument but this is a good example of how important words are and how they can be used for your cause with the addition or even the exclusion of words to spin the truth..... Just a sad place we are in all around...

Cap
Media needs to sensationalize the weapon used..calling it anything other than an AR15 wouldn't do that....everyone knows what an AR15 is but few know what a KalTec is...

Cap

I see your point cap but is it really ‘demonizing’ the weapon that’s used in most ‘rifle’ assaults when it turns out to be a military styled magazine fed rifle?

Cap
To much of the world outside the US a rifle is more a target marksman’s gun, a single fire hunting rifle, a gun that’s designed for accuracy and outside of the military has various uses that are seen as “legitimate“.

To say “AR15 like“ is seen to some as being “Uzi like“ or “AK47 like” it doesn’t really matter what the gun is, folk see it as predominantly a weapon for putting holes in people.

Any reference to AR / AK / Uzi etc just tells folk it was what they see as that “style“ of gun.

To folk far away from guns or with little interest or knowledge there only pistons, shot guns, sniper rifles or those they see as being “Like an AR15”, the media knows this will get the reaction they want.

Back