Minimum Wheelbase, Tire Size, Raising Links, Gearing and Chain Length

I'm posting this link about my gearing questions here because it pertains to this thread.

No problems discussing CF rims here, I'm the one that brought it up but I already have this thread going where I've posted a Brock's video about wheelies with CF rims.

Looks like Brock acknowledges that CF rims could break from an impact where aluminum would bend. CF rims are rigid but will also flex back into shape if they deform a little from an impact. Aluminum is rigid and fairly malleable. If it deforms, it will bend and remain deformed but in most cases, it will continue to support the bike and the the tire might even stay inflated at least long enough to stop the bike. When I have seen pics of broken bike rims, it is the spokes that let go. In that case, it would make no difference if the tire stayed inflated or not, that bike is going down.

@Mythos Brock's has a youtube video on it. Check it out and feedback if you would.

On tire changes with CF rims, Brock has this 3 part video. Here is part 1.

Looks like what is crucial is the wheel clamps are set to 55 psi so the wheel can't spin while the tire is installed using a hydraulic tire machine. No way can I afford a hydraulic tire machine. There are Cycle Hill tire changer videos where they claim that machine is safe for CF rims. The primary difference I see is that the hydraulic machine never touches the rim at all. The Cycle Hill bar is going to rub along the bead surface of the wheel.

I already have some ideas about that on this thread too. :laugh:

sixpack577 was saying that 17/46 sprockets would make a nice improvement in acceleration and all you'd need to do is swap in a 41 tooth rear to do 200 mph. Both setups will fit the stock chain length with room for adjustment. If this is true, it's a pretty safe bet that 18/47 would easily fit the stock chain length with 1" raising links that will reduce the distance between the front and rear sprockets. Throw in a 43T rear and swap back to the stock links for max speed or try a 41T or 42T if the bike is ever able to hit the rev limiter with stock 18/43.

Gearing Commander says a +4T rear sprocket and stock 18T front will create a 4.27% difference in rpm from stock gearing at 50 mph. That is just a tad less than Gearing Commander claims for the stock / +4T rear rpm difference I have on my ZX-14. I think the 14 is just a little snappier than it needs to be. A little less engine braking than the 14 has in low speed corners would be ok with me and the busa already wheelies easier than the 14 so no problem there either. I think sixpack's suggestion of 17/46 would be too much for me, that's over 8% different than stock rpm at 50 mph. Gearing Commander is calculating the top speed of the busa with a +4 rear to be just 5 mp slower than the ZX-14 with a +4 and I don't ever go that fast on the road anyway. If I do, I'll just throw in a smaller rear sprocket and maybe lower the rear back to stock if necessary.

Thinking out loud again. :laugh: Time to start ordering parts and test fitting. I'll post the results here.

busa.mph.png

busa.rpm.png

sixpack577 was saying that 17/46 sprockets would make a nice improvement in acceleration and all you'd need to do is swap in a 41 tooth rear to do 200 mph. Both setups will fit the stock chain length with room for adjustment. If this is true, it's a pretty safe bet that 18/47 would easily fit the stock chain length with 1" raising links that will reduce the distance between the front and rear sprockets. Throw in a 43T rear and swap back to the stock links for max speed or try a 41T or 42T if the bike is ever able to hit the rev limiter with stock 18/43.

Gearing Commander says a +4T rear sprocket and stock 18T front will create a 4.27% difference in rpm from stock gearing at 50 mph. That is just a tad less than Gearing Commander claims for the stock / +4T rear rpm difference I have on my ZX-14. I think the 14 is just a little snappier than it needs to be. A little less engine braking than the 14 has in low speed corners would be ok with me and the busa already wheelies easier than the 14 so no problem there either. I think sixpack's suggestion of 17/46 would be too much for me, that's over 8% different than stock rpm at 50 mph. Gearing Commander is calculating the top speed of the busa with a +4 rear to be just 5 mp slower than the ZX-14 with a +4 and I don't ever go that fast on the road anyway. If I do, I'll just throw in a smaller rear sprocket and maybe lower the rear back to stock if necessary.

Thinking out loud again. :laugh: Time to start ordering parts and test fitting. I'll post the results here.

View attachment 1627056

View attachment 1627057
Also a 60 profile tire will be the same as 2 teeth on the rear. Definitely increases your top speed without gearing change. Add to gearing commander a 200/60 tireand see how your top speed changes.

@ZeePopo I input 200/55 on gearingcommander for the tire size because that's what I have on the bike now. With stock chain length and a 47T rear the axle will be pulled about all the way forward. I don't know if a 200/60 would clear the front inside of the swingarm. I think it might with the raising links I plan to install because those will open up the swingarm an inch and probably create enough slack to then pull the axle back close to stock WB.

"Also a 60 profile tire will be the same as 2 teeth on the rear."

You mean the same as going two teeth down on the rear in terms of speed/rpm.

@ZeePopo I input 200/55 on gearingcommander for the tire size because that's what I have on the bike now. With stock chain length and a 47T rear the axle will be pulled about all the way forward. I don't know if a 200/60 would clear the front inside of the swingarm. I think it might with the raising links I plan to install because those will open up the swingarm an inch and probably create enough slack to then pull the axle back close to stock WB.

"Also a 60 profile tire will be the same as 2 teeth on the rear."

You mean the same as going two teeth down on the rear in terms of speed/rpm.
I'm putting on a 200/65 in the next few days with a 46t rear. I'll let ya know how much space I have left.

Yeah increasing the tire profile to 60 is the same as down 2 teeth in the rear.

TRIED 18/47T SPROCKET GEARING WITH STOCK CHAIN LENGTH
What is the largest tire you can fit without rubbing the front of the swingarm with the axle pulled all the way forward?

I did a visual and the well worn 200/55 I have on there now is about a half inch from the front of the swingarm. The adjuster bolts have about a half inch of thread showing. I didn't measure yet but it looks like if I'm lucky, I might be able to stick with a 200/55 and minimum WB or else get a 200/55 on after the chain has worn in.

With stock chain length and a 47T rear the axle will be pulled about all the way forward. I don't know if a 200/60 would clear the front inside of the swingarm. I think it might with the raising links I plan to install because those will open up the swingarm an inch and probably create enough slack to then pull the axle back close to stock WB.
I pulled the axle all the way forward and then some today. I put my new 47T rear sprocket on with the almost worn out front sprocket and drive chain. Looks like there is still plenty of room for a larger tire than the 200/55 I have on there now. The tire is worn but I doubt that amounts to more than a few milimeters of additional clearance with the inside front of the swingarm. The chain and front sprocket are worn but I believe that has only added about an eighth of an inch of extra tire clearance. Suzuki designed this swingarm to accommodate a wide range of tire and sprockets sizes with the stock chain length. SO--minimum wheelbase/stock chain length, 200/55 still possible and looks likely a 200/60 would fit.

Now for gearing: With stock chain length and stock front sprocket, a 47T rear will not fit. This is me pulling the wheel back so the chain is tight on top and bottom. The bike is on a swingarm pivot stand so the swingarm is open as far as it will go on the stock suspension. No way that axle would even go through and even if it did, I still need to tighten the axle nut, place the bike's weight on the rear shock, sit on the bike and go over bumps all of which tighten the chain even more. 18/47 is not possible with a stock chain length. It's less than minimum WB. All that could be done would be to grind the axle slots farther forward but who's going to do that?? (I actually know of someone who did do that).

According to this link, 18/47 requires a 116 pin chain and the Gen2 has 114 pins. Just like going to +4T on my ZX-14 rear sprocket, I needed one extra link in the chain.

One extra link is about what looks to be required from this picture I took today. Maybe even two extra once you torque the axle, put the bike's weight on the shock and the rider's weight plus extra slack for for the shock to compress during operation.
stock.chain.18:45.gearing.busa.jpg

Hopefully installing the Schnitz raising links will be my saving grace. That is supposed to raise the tail 1 inch. If that's one inch on center with the axle, I might be able to stick with a 114 pin chain and be right about minimum WB. I'll update again when I get the links on.

TRIED 18/47T SPROCKET GEARING WITH STOCK CHAIN LENGTH

I pulled the axle all the way forward and then some today. I put my new 47T rear sprocket on with the almost worn out front sprocket and drive chain. Looks like there is still plenty of room for a larger tire than the 200/55 I have on there now. The tire is worn but I doubt that amounts to more than a few milimeters of additional clearance with the inside front of the swingarm. The chain and front sprocket are worn but I believe that has only added about an eighth of an inch of extra tire clearance. Suzuki designed this swingarm to accommodate a wide range of tire and sprockets sizes with the stock chain length. SO--minimum wheelbase/stock chain length, 200/55 still possible and looks likely a 200/60 would fit.

Now for gearing: With stock chain length and stock front sprocket, a 47T rear will not fit. This is me pulling the wheel back so the chain is tight on top and bottom. The bike is on a swingarm pivot stand so the swingarm is open as far as it will go on the stock suspension. No way that axle would even go through and even if it did, I still need to tighten the axle nut, place the bike's weight on the rear shock, sit on the bike and go over bumps all of which tighten the chain even more. 18/47 is not possible with a stock chain length. It's less than minimum WB. All that could be done would be to grind the axle slots farther forward but who's going to do that?? (I actually know of someone who did do that).

According to this link, 18/47 requires a 116 pin chain and the Gen2 has 114 pins. Just like going to +4T on my ZX-14 rear sprocket, I needed one extra link in the chain.

One extra link is about what looks to be required from this picture I took today. Maybe even two extra once you torque the axle, put the bike's weight on the shock and the rider's weight plus extra slack for for the shock to compress during operation.
View attachment 1630024

Hopefully installing the Schnitz raising links will be my saving grace. That is supposed to raise the tail 1 inch. If that's one inch on center with the axle, I might be able to stick with a 114 pin chain and be right about minimum WB. I'll update again when I get the links on.
Hi Myhos. I am running a .96 -1 6th gear and 20 tooth front and a 38 tooth rear with a 299/60/17 what would the MPH be per 1000 RPM ? I want to be geared for 280 MPH. The motor is built for 13500 RPM,

@michael parris heuberger So that's a 1996 Hayabusa with max rpm of 13,500, 20/38 gearing and a 299/60/17 tire (is that even a real size?).

There might be a few significant variables missing but according to Gearing commander, you should top out at almost 637 mph. Watch out for that shock wave.

View attachment 1630060
U had it set on kilometers instead of mph... I'm guessing that'll make a bit of a difference :laugh:

There is probably a way to calculate modified primary gearing but I don't know how. You will do over 400 mph though. You would hold the new world record for top speed on a busa and by a considerable margin.

Back