Looking for a black chain for the bike

toolmn

Donating Member
Registered
Any sponsors on here have a black motorcycle chain that would be good for up to 250 whp?

I had a little mishap today, the swingarm chain bolt broke through my swingarm tag bracket block while riding today...The tire shifted and the chain came off the sproket kinked up b/t the sprocket and swingarm and came to a very harsh stop...Lucky I didn't wreck, but now I'm in need of a new swingarm, sprocket, sprocket nuts and bolts, chain, clutch pin, and hopefully thats all...

Turns out that the tag bracket was made with aluminum that was very soft and the chain bolt just seaped in until it broke...Guys be careful and keep a check so none of you experience this mishap...
banghead.gif
winkold.gif
thumb_down.gif

I would be really interested in seeing what that tag bracket looked/looks like. I have had thoughts about mounting mine there, but stories like this concern me.

Glad you are OK!!

hate to hear about the damage to your ride but i'm glad you are able to post up about it...that could have turned out much worse
beerchug.gif

If I recall Carles at site sponsor Street & Track has black chain available.

I had a little mishap today, the swingarm chain bolt broke through my swingarm tag bracket block
sadnews.gif

If I was the manufacturer of this swingarm tag bracket block, I would be pretty friggin' concerned about potential liability issues here.

Clearly, the aluminum they used is way, waaaaaaaay too soft for this application.

That said, the OEM chain adjustment block is also aluminum, but obviously, a different grade and/or treatment.

Scary stuff.... you got away lucky in many respects. This could have ended up a lot, LOT worse.

Perhaps the maker of your tag bracket would be willing to buy you new parts in lieu of you pursuing a different course of action.
laugh.gif
I am guessing a new swingarm is not inexpensive.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Guys be careful and keep a check so none of you experience this mishap...[/quote]

Can you tell use the manufacturer of this swingarm tag bracket block, so others that have it can keep a close eye on it? If it were me, I believe I would place a steel insert between the bolt head and the aluminum block to act as a pseudo "area washer", distributing the force the steel swingarm adjuster bolt head places against the bracket block.

I spoke with the maker today and he is going to take care of everything, they are a local drag race team that machines misc. parts for themselves and others...He does not advertise his work other then through word of mouth... I will keep you all posted, but definitely keep a check on swingarm tag brackets to help prevent this...

Now that's great product service.
beerchug.gif
Keep us updated if he comes through.

He said it was billet alum. but didn't say the grade...
All billet means is it started from one solid piece. I could make a billet bubble gum part.... Anyway, I sell processed steel for a living, both white and carbon, and am curious if this was 6061 or if a softer grade was used. If you ever find out what was used I would be interested, feel free to PM if you want to keep the post clear....

Thanks

Some updated pics of the true damamage, still waiting to see what they are going to do, and no word on the grade of alum. that was used

DSC04017.jpg

DSC03998.jpg

DSC03992.jpg

DSC03988.jpg

DSC03998.jpg

DSC04014.jpg

DSC03998.jpg

Back