touring gearing

8overin808

Registered
Ok so the other night I asked everyone about GPS, tonight (or morning for y'all) it's gearing/tires.

Currently I run a pilot race out back with a "whatevers on sale" up front.
also currently running 16/45 gearing (long drag bike, naturally aspirated, 220lb rider) with a DID chain.

Obviously I don't wanna tour with this gearing. I'm gonna ride the bike at a 64" wheelbase from cali to NYC... should I go back to the stock gearing? or smaller? what do the long distance guys currently use?

Given the long wheelbase, not too much spirited riding in mind, just a setup to make it through this trip. Then i need to buy a second busa, for long distance and keep my first one for (turbo??) drag racing.
smile.gif

I can't help you with the gearing since I'm still stock, but I gotta ask. Why hook up a Busa for racing and get another for touring? Why not build the Busa for racing and get a goldwing or something a bit more relaxing than the Busa for the touring?

Just a thought, 'ya know ...

I can't help you with the gearing since I'm still stock, but I gotta ask. Why hook up a Busa for racing and get another for touring? Why not build the Busa for racing and get a goldwing or something a bit more relaxing than the Busa for the touring?

Just a thought, 'ya know ...
I started off on an r6, moved to a 750, now on a busa. Busa is as comfortable as i wanna get... at my age. I'm only 24. I'm not quite in the market for a full on touring bike. I'm sure I'll grow up someday, just not yet!
I'm firmly convinced that i need to suffer a little, earn my "iron butt" before I can get a cushy tourer. Currently I ride daily on a carbon fiber seat with no padding, when I get a padded seat for this bike, it'll be ubercomfy.

As for a second busa, I want to go for a turbo on this current bike. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so into drag racing, cause the bus was a great handling bike before I stretched it. SOOO I want a second one for tearing up twisty's, and short touring around the eastern seaboard. (wouldn't be too bad if that one had a turbo too!
smile.gif
)

Read about the 10th post down in this thread...this guy prefers his Busa for touring..and I guess alot of guys use it for that.

Read about the 10th post down in this thread...this guy prefers his Busa for touring..and I guess alot of guys use it for that.
Yep, and I'm 48 now and got back from 4500 miles riding around the countryside again. I do need to update the prep page and add maintenance gear; 33mm socket and wrench to adjust the rear tire and chain lube. Forgot it for this last trip and I'm replacing the chain and sprocket in a day or two.

Tour map

Busa: The longer purple, red and blue lines. The smaller rides originating from Denver as well (lots of mountain riding
smile.gif
)
Harley: The California green, and the yellow, green and shorter blue lines originating in DC.
Goldwing: The orangish line that looks like a ballsack
smile.gif
going to southwestern CO and the lighter orange line going to south central CO.
GSXR750: The yellowline DC to NY line.
ustouring2.jpg

But I do have stock for most everything with a few comfort oriented mods; heli-bars, protekk pegs, tank bra.

Carl

smile.gif

"I started off on an r6, moved to a 750, now on a busa. Busa is as comfortable as i wanna get... at my age. I'm only 24. I'm not quite in the market for a full on touring bike. I'm sure I'll grow up someday, just not yet!"

I totally agree with 8overin808. If I was 24 and had the choice having a sport bike pull double-duty (sport/touring) or owning a sport and touring machine, I'd opt for the touring multi-mode route too. He'll have plenty of years to transition into the geezer touring mode.

At 53 I tour on a FJR, and ride my Busa when trying to forget I'm 53!
biggrin.gif

go with stock gearing if you have stock exhaust and everything still 17 42 will be kinda nice i did that when i went to washington i had full exhaust and a small air box mod i was averaging around 32-35 mpg on a average speed of 70-80mph. Now i plan to run 18,42 with my big bore and cams right now with 17 42 the best i have pulled is 28 mpg and that was some spirited Hill riding

I just came back from Rockingham with a basically stock bike 17-42 geared, full Muzzy, small airbox mod, mapped ecm, and got 39 mpg . I didnt really think that was too bad .

Back