Sprockets with stock chain length?

pack mule

formerly known as rtgt
Registered
I'm going to shrink my wheelbase and was wonder what size front and rear sprocket I need to use to keep with the stock chain length? I like the stock gearing because of the gas mileage but want the shorter wheelbase for the curves. Will going up 2 in the back with 1 up in the front work with the stock chain? How hard is it to get the chain back on without very much adjustment space? Thanks

06+5 did this and he went 3 up in the back and stock in the front. You have to be careful that you don't run our of adjustment towards the front.

The stock chain has enough slack for 3 more teeth with plenty of slack for adjustment, what you mentioned will fit. You'll have to remove the rear axle to slide the wheel far enough forward to get the chain on though.
I have a +3 rear and it's shortened the wheelbase by over an inch. The rpm's are only up by 400, and the gas mileage is basically the same cruising on the highway. The "feel" of added torque from the +3 is very noticeable. It makes throttling hard out the curves easier and more fun too.
I'de go +2 or +3 rear and leave the front stock. Gas mileage changes so little under normal driving that you won't notice it. It will drink a little more when you start enjoying the "feel" of extra torque, but even then it's not dramatic.
Not sure what you have either, but gen1 is 17/40 gearing and gen2 is 18/43 stock.:beerchug:

06+5 did this and he went 3 up in the back and stock in the front. You have to be careful that you don't run our of adjustment towards the front.

I have +3 rear on my 08 too, there's plenty of adjustment either direction.:beerchug:

I have a gen1. A riding buddy went up 3 in the back and he uses a noticeable amount more of gas than me. I was wanting to stay near the stock gearing and was told that 1 up in the front and 2 in the rear would be close. Thanks for the replies.:thumbsup:

Back