Chatterbox questions

black diamond busa

Team Jacob
Registered
So my girl is starting to learn how to ride so looking at these so I'm always right there with her. Looking at the x1 slim. Now if I buy one for my bike does she have to buy another for hers or do both headsets run off of one box? Can you buy extra headsets without having to buy another box? How well do these work? How well can you hear and talk to each other? Was it worth the $400 they are asking?

I didn't like mine but that was about 8 years ago . they might have improved it since . The thing that i didn't like was the speakers were junk. You each have to get a box unless she is a passenger and plugged into your box. I currently use O'NEAL Street Gear - Tirade Bluetooth Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet - Cycle Gear
It has blue tooth and sounds good when on the phone or gps . as far as talking to some one else its not quite loud enough. The reason its great with my phone is I can turn my phone up and it gets louder , so music is awesome on pandora and the gps still works at the same time.

Ive used chatterboxes the last 7 years,they arent the best but price wise they are the cheapest...like around $128... Alot of helmets have a recess inside for the speakers...but none of my helmets recesses line up with my ears...so i put the helmet on and see right were my ears are inside the helmet,remove a little foam and set the speakers in there...if you have a noisy helmet they are hard to hear at highter speeds..you can also plug your music into it and listen...the helmet i just purchased is the quietest helmet ive bought yet,at 70 mph i can hear the music and other bikers great...so alot depends on the helmet and how much air noise you get....but when it comes to being able to communicate with the other people you are riding with nothing is better...beeping and pointing just sucks...lol

Yeah I want it so this summer its easier for my girl to learn as she doesn't understand pointing handwaving and grunts like us men do:D

It can pair with up to 3 other units making it 4 total. I have never tried anything that works better. I have tried some $600 units that work as well but not better. It has a range of about 3/4 mile in open terrain.

The additional pluses are that it supports voice dialing and inbound calls. I can talk to you on the phone doing 80mph down the interstate and you will never know that I am on the bike.

Yeah sorry I meant 4 total. I just read a couple reviews and I think you changed my mind cuz so far nobody has anything to say bad about. Now about the phone I see its easy to get incoming calls but how easy is it to make out going calls?

Depends on the phone I guess. I use an IPhone and its as simple as reaching up, hitting one button, and speaking the name you wish to call such as "black diamond busa cell". I have never once had it call the wrong number.

I have the scala rider g4, can chat up to 3 people within a mile, bluetooth to cell can make calls+ listen to music etc. also has FM radio

I don't have a set yet but a lot of the guys on the BMW forum use and like the Scala G4s. Probably the way I will go...when I go. I would search for "scala g4 reviews" and go through them. Over the years I have learned not to go cheap on comm gear. It is frustrating when it doesn't work correctly and I find myself not using it =waste of money. Just my 2 cents.

Have you had any problems? Hows the fit?

I really like it, works well has fairly good volume and clarity for small speakers. Good enough to listen to radio etc. The only problem is the 2 times I tried to use the FM radio it was quiet and not the best quality but that really could have been area I was in. I primarily use it to listen to music from Bluetooth over phone. The phone call feature is A+ clarity is good, I have a full face helmet people usually do not even know im on my bike. It installs easy and the speakers just tuck into the pads you do not feel them at all. I will probably switch to a modular helmet soon if I can find a good deal but that really has nothing to do with the Mic.

You can chat with other scala people with the cheaper q2 or the G4, I have never been able to figure out if you can chat with others that are using different brands.

Summary Scala Rider G4=Good

Sweet thanks for all the advice guys. Glad to see different options. I don't want anything super cheap but can't afford a crap load either

Back