Need info from Chatterbox owners-

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
I am going to buy a pair of Chatterboxes, and don't want to spend $300+ each on them. That being said, is performance the same on the top 3 or 4 models as far as sound quality, clarity etc? Is the price difference strictly for the features, such as Bluetooth, 5 mile vs. 2 mile?
I'm thinking I don't even need to clip it on my helmet, I would prefer to get an extension and put it in my tankbag- does the inexpensive handheld model work as well once you attach a headset and mike?
Also can you be understood clearly at highway speed (full face helmet), or only at slower speeds?

Would appreciate info from owners of these...

We just got ours, Busasweety should have some good information for you, they use the Chatterbox system exclusively. We looked at several options other than the Chatterbox before we purchased the system, but I could not pass up the deal I got on the system for two helmets from a member here on the board. Also hit up Mr Bogus, I know he has done quit a bit of research on these as well.

I have had 4 different chatterbox models. The where all garbage. Anything above 40 mph and you couldn't here them.

Hey...
just got back from new years party.....saw the post, will give some info tomorrow..I mean today  
cool.gif
forgot its almost 3 am........

I will be following this thread closley. I have been looking into getting the chatterbox also.

My friends and I all recently purchased the blue tooth/ 5 mile GMRS radios. They work great at a light or at slower speeds. On the highway, not so good. I linked my cell phone to it and called home. I could hear my wife clearly but she had difficulty hearing me when I was parked in a lot. Works best with my Sirius radio plugged into it. Speakers are the best part. They will work ok but not sure I would spend 300 bucks again. Definitely get the 5 mile range as the range doesn't even come close to 5 miles even within line of sight. 2 mile model would undoubtedly suck. Let us know how yours work.

James

I don't think it matters what you use because it is almost impossible to get rid of the wind noise from current helmet design.

I have had 4 different chatterbox models. The where all garbage. Anything above 40 mph and you couldn't here them.
Two fixes for that....
1. use the boom instead of the fullface mike
2. put the fullface mike inside the padding at your cheek.

I had the same problem when I first started using the Chatterbox, WAG couldn't hear anything I was saying above 30+ mph, I went to the boom and it worked great, so then I took the mike, made a small incision on the right side cushion for my cheek (inside the helmet) placed the mike in it and then sewed it back up... now no issue until around 80+, but then again all of have that problem.

Just my experience and advice.

flamethrowingsmiley.gif
AM -->
MrGxr @ Jan. 01 2008 said:
1255542[/ATTACH] AM]
Two fixes for that....
1. use the boom instead of the fullface mike
2. put the fullface mike inside the padding at your cheek.

I had the same problem when I first started using the Chatterbox, WAG couldn't hear anything I was saying above 30+ mph, I went to the boom and it worked great, so then I took the mike, made a small incision on the right side cushion for my cheek (inside the helmet) placed the mike in it and then sewed it back up... now no issue until around 80+, but then again all of have that problem.

Just my experience and advice.
Sounds like a great idea- so the problem at speed is wind, not actual noise? A better mike cover is the answer to the problem?

I use the Windjammer year-round, makes a huge difference in wind "booming" sounds and still flows well for hot weather riding. Maybe it will help with this...

Has anyone had experience with the handheld model? I don't intend to clamp anything to my helmet, and it's MUCH less expensive...

P.S.- If anyone is interested- http://www.proline-sports.co.uk/acatalog/UK_Wind_jammer_21.html

windjammer.jpg

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

If you want a com system that works, you are going to have to shell out the dough. Forget the Chatterbox and get something like an Autocom. I've had an Autocom for a few years and it works fantastic at any speed.

If you want a com system that works, you are going to have to shell out the dough. Forget the Chatterbox and get something like an Autocom. I've had an Autocom for a few years and it works fantastic at any speed.
Really that big a difference? Have you used both?

Anyone else compared the two personally?

We have chatterboxes, the FRSx2 and they've worked fine for us for at least three years.

The trick is, get that microphone as close to your lips as possible. I have mine actually touching my lips when I ride.

As MrGxr said above, the trick is to eliminate wind noise. Once I did that, I have had little trouble with it up to about 80 mph.

I haven't personally tried the Autocomm but I keep hearing good things about it.

--Wag--

Really that big a difference? Have you used both?

Anyone else compared the two personally?
I have never had a Chatterbox, but I do have an Autocom and have friends with Chatterboxes and Autocoms. When riding with the other guys, the Autocoms are much better than the Chatterbox. Where the Chatterboxes have trouble at speed, the Autocom is crystal clear as fast as you want to go (it's easy to communicate even at 140mph).

It's very expensive to get a complete Autocom setup, and for some people it's more than they can justify. But if you do decide to spring for it, you will not be disappointed.
cool.gif

I have been using the Chatterbox GRMSX1's for about 4 years on off-road race events. I cannot say enough good about them. My current top speed on dirt is 137 with CR500 2 stroke. The radios worked well, in the Nevada desert I have reached out to 25 miles of reception. They have even survived several monumental crashes and still worked! The boom mike is what I use, the only problem that I have encountered it the clamp mountion bracket could be better. I solved the problem by drilling 2 ea. 4mm holes in my helmet and bolting the bracket.
Great radios!

Twotonevert bought my Chatterbox system. We used the wind jammers & had no problem. Yes you do need the mike almost touching your lips. I used a 5' patch cord from Rdaio Shack & put the unit in the trunk so it wasn't on my helmet.I was going to change to a push to talk system, but we weren't using the system, just listening to music all the time.

4+ years as well with the Chatterbox and the only real problem has been batteries! Last year went with a direct hookup to the battery and eliminated my problem. As to the Autocoms, J&M's, Star, etc... Yes, they are better but couldn't bring myself to spend twice as much.

Back