Chatterbox Question

bronc3

Registered
Can someone please tell me if the FRS Multi-sport, X1, and X2 are compatible with one another. They are all simply FRS radios, correct? Looking for some on E-bay, possibly used. Thanks.

Scott

I belive they have to transmit on the same channel which makes me wonder. I know when my group bought there GMRS-X1's they offered us our own channel. I'd wait and call HJC before commiting to anything...
HJC CONTACT LIST

We have had problems with the X1 in the past as it does not get the exact same channels that the X2 and chepo model get. However, CB's X1 seems to work with my X2 on most channels.

To be safe, get the X2...it will work with the cheapo model (your channel 1 is thier channel 1 and your channel 8 is their channel 2) and may work with the X1 also. If you get the X1, it may not work with anybody else...or you could get lucky. If you get the cheapo model (two channel square version) then you will only be able to talk to other cheapo's and x2's on two channels.

The only main difference between the X1 and X2 is that the X1 is listed as having a 5 mile range and the X2 is listed as having only a 2-3 mile range.

Honestly, until CB, I had not found anyone with an X1 that could hear anyone on the X2's or cheapo's.

There's my .02....hope it helps...

The cheapo radios (the walkaround types you can buy in most any store) may use different frequencies that other radios - different manufacturers tend to designate channels along different specific frequencies, so manufacturer A's Channel "1" MAY be different that manufacturer B's channel "1".

Best way to check is go to the website for the radio and get the technical specs - if the numbers match, you're golden. Most of the mid to higher range radios operate along the same channels, so they're compatible.

The cheapo radios (the walkaround types you can buy in most any store) may use different frequencies that other radios - different manufacturers tend to designate channels along different specific frequencies, so manufacturer A's Channel "1" MAY be different that manufacturer B's channel "1".

Best way to check is go to the website for the radio and get the technical specs - if the numbers match, you're golden. Most of the mid to higher range radios operate along the same channels, so they're compatible.
By "cheapo" , I was referring only to chatterbox's bargain basement model...ya know...the square 2 channel thingy??

gotcha. I checked CB's site, but they don't give up too much in the way of technical details. Prob. best to hit them up for more info...

Just went to Chatterbox on Friday and asked them this very question.

Multisport to X2 channels 1 & 8
multisport to X1 channel 1 only
x2 to x1 channels 1 thru 7

gotcha. I checked CB's site, but they don't give up too much in the way of technical details. Prob. best to hit them up for more info...
LOL..ok. by "CB" I am referring to CharlesBusa...not chatterbox...LOL
laugh.gif

Thanks to all, this is informative, not confusing. You have answered my question.

Again, thanks.

Bronc, I am going to Cahills (sp?) in Tampa to pick up the GMRS-X1 sometime this week. The crew I ride with made arrangements to get it pretty inexpensively. I will make sure that is is in fact the GMRS-X1 and I will ask them what other brands they may know of that will be able to communicate with. When I do the deal and know all the specifics I'll shoot ya a PMand let ya in on what I know and how much. I'm thinking that the radios will be a good thing on rides.

Bronc, I am going to Cahills (sp?) in Tampa to pick up the GMRS-X1 sometime this week. The crew I ride with made arrangements to get it pretty inexpensively. I will make sure that is is in fact the GMRS-X1 and I will ask them what other brands they may know of that will be able to communicate with. When I do the deal and know all the specifics I'll shoot ya a PMand let ya in on what I know and how much.  I'm thinking that the radios will be a good thing on rides.
I want to get them for use when my wife & I ride together, but want them to be somewhat compatable on group rides in the event someone else has one.

The buy is at Cahills Yamaha in Tampa. They are almost at the corner of Busch and Armenia next to an A/C Place. If going west on Busch toward Gunn Hwy turn left onto Armenia and 1/2 block later turn Right into the parking lot. Speak with Kevin ( Parts Manager ) or in his absence try Mark. Tell him Vaughn and Moose sent ya.
Here's the deal... NEW GMRS-X1 Full Face kit. In the box there is the noise reducing headset, Chatterbox transmitter / Receiver, Rechargeable battery, 120 V Home Charger, Helmet Mounted Mic and Stereo Speakers, Helmet Mounting bracket, and the Optional Push-to-Talk Control switch is also included for $220 + $15.40 in tax for a $235.40 OTD figure. Retail is $329 and their sticker on the box says $299. He has (I think) 4 more left on the shelf. He orders them in 6 at a time to be able to sell them at this price and still make a few bucks. He said he won't sell the others in the Chatterbox line (FRS Multi sport and FRS- X2 ) because they were uhhh having too many problems with them ( I translated it in an effort to be nice ). Hope you find this helpful.
WOW... opened up the box and found a Chatter Box Sticker FREE! WOO HOO its my lucky day!!!
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|MoosesBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118849095 -->

Back