Just Wondering, Yup! it's another tire question

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
OK I picked me up a new BT016 for the rear of the new Busa and was wondering, what is the intended purpose of the painted lines down the center of the tire? It's got a yellow and a lavendar line painted down the center all the way around the tire, is this possibly for model identification or something else?

Ever wonder why some 16's have one line, some two and even three lines of multiple colors. Or wonder why the lines are rarely around the center of the tire but offset at different distances?

I have three sets of BTO 16's in my garage and none have the same lines?

Hmmmmmmmmmm, strange eh? :dunno:

Ever wonder why some 16's have one line, some two and even three lines of multiple colors. Or wonder why the lines are rarely around the center of the tire but offset at different distances?

maybe some date/plant/shift coding? would imagine all the 016's are made at the same place huh? first/second/third shift?

shot an email off to the US sales rep to ask him, he is the guy that sent me the freebie 021's

Last edited:

Well so much for it being model ID, yes very strange. Will this stump the org or will a tire guru chime in and provide a logical explaination of the offset pinstripes on the BT016's?

It's not quality control nor for batch ID. It's for product identification.

The BTO16 for instance has different rubber compounds for different OEM applications. Each OEM tire has it's own identifying letter stamped into the tire. I think Suzuki's ID letter is G and Kawasaki is J? All G series tires will have the same stripes with J series having a totally different set of lines. This is done solely for ease of identifying each tire at the factory without searching the sidewall for the identifying letter.

The lines serve the purpose of making life easier and more productive at the factory! No other purpose!

:beerchug:

Last edited:
got an "official reply" :)

Hi Randy,

When the tread is extruded and when the tire is green (not yet vulcanized) the color strips are used to tell the tires apart. Depending on the production line the tire will have different color lines or a alpha-numeric code printed on it.

Attached are photos of a green tire (they look like slicks) and examples of the two ways to mark the tires (these examples are of vulcanized tires).

Regards,
Kevin Hunley
Customer Service/PDIC Manager
Motorcycle/Kart Products
US & Canada Consumer Tire Sales Division
Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations
535 Marriott Drive
Nashville, TN 37214
Phone (615) 937-3334
Fax (615) 937-3431

Green Tires.jpg

Warehouse 1.jpg