C Clip on chain

although the c-clips are not very popular (I do not like them myself) they will work..

better is the master that uses set screws.. (I will see if I can find the link for you) and best is a riveted chain..

Personally, I would take the bike to someone that has a chain vice for crimping the master and let them put one on the bike.. (make sure you get a master from the same maker of the chain for the type you have)..

Master Link - Rivet / Pin, EK Screw links one source..

I've never seen the set screws---do they work? Seems like it would be just as good as crimping the rivet?? Just wondering...

I got the tool so I just press them. The biggest problem I ever ran into with a clip link is on my offroad bike's.When the rear chain guide is bent in a little sometime's if you roll the bike backward's it can push the retaining clip off. I would use one in a pinch and not loose any sleep about it.Just keep a good eye on it.

I've never seen the set screws---do they work? Seems like it would be just as good as crimping the rivet?? Just wondering...
I have seen 1 installed... looked ok to me.. What I mean is it is not just going to pop off.. A lot of pretty neat things get a bad rap from people that do not know how to install them.. just like snap rings.. (essentially what the c-clip is).. they have an inside and outside edge.. you have to put the flat side pointed out if there is one..

E-clips, snap rings and most other spring loaded retainers are stamped and so have one side you will notice has a soft roll on one side, it MUST point inwards away from the load side of the clip.. Just look at one closely, you can see which side is "ground" flat..

The link is the same size as what came with the chain. I did install the open end towards the rear of the bike so nothing can knock the clip off.

I have never seen a properly installed c-clip fail and would not hesitate to use one myself. The key is to get it on in the grooves, in the right direction, without distorting the clip. A piece of cake with a plain chain, but it's a pain in the butt with o-ring chain. Maybe that is why people prefer rivet links.

Using the clip takes a bit of technique. If you're worried about it, but a few spare clips. They're pretty cheap.

Everytime I've heard of a clipstyle or rivet masterlink failing it was from the installer doing it wrong. I've never heard or seen a clipstyle fail mechanicly.

Everytime I've heard of a clipstyle or rivet masterlink failing it was from the installer doing it wrong. I've never heard or seen a clipstyle fail mechanicly.

Well said Paul, I would not think twice about using one.. :thumbsup:

Everyone keeps saying as long as the c clip is installed correctly there will be no problems. What is the Correct istallation procedure?

It seems apparent that some people can't get the clip on correctly (some say) so, having a rivet link seems also to be the best and safest way to run a chain right?

I had a friend that had a 929, he was doing about 120 on a back road and the master clip came off, it slapped him on the leg and then wraped around his tire locking the back wheel, lucky for him he kept it up and rode it out, dont risk it on a clip if your just rideing it at 50 mph it porbably wont do anything but i just dont trust a thin piece of metal on my life....

when used correctly they are totally safe. when installed correctly they are totally safe.

do not re-use, use once and then throw away and use another one...

And if it isn't pressed on correctly what do you suppose happens?

If the clip is installed correctly, meaning the closed end is going the same way as the rotation of the tire there should be no problems running a master link with a clip.

Sessions, I had a friend get hit by a drive shaft that came through the floor board.. We all have stories my friend..

I run two "clip type" master links on my bike. Never had a problem. And Im always running in the high triple digit range and drag racing. just make sure you follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

+100 I have several friends that race with this set up and they have never had a problem. If they were that dangerous they wouldn't be selling them, and trust me drag racers wouldn't be using them. Installed correctly they're fine.

I've never really liked the clips myself, but I have run them on a 450hp turbo busa at 7.9 sec.

I had a buddy of my drop a chain on the track once. The first thing I thought was that the clip gave away. The chain broke in a different spot altogether. The break was nowhere close to the master link.

Does anyone know of or personally had a correctly installed clip masterlink fail? Why would they keep producing them if they were dangerous? Hell a lawyer would have a field day with that.
Ive had a chain pop on me before. It wasn't on the clip on link. It was from chain stretch/excessive wear-ie, missing o-rings. Most people don't realize that once the chain pops, the first thing it does is it dislodges from the rear wheel leaving it free to spin. The chain will only pop from stress and the only stress placed on it is at the top (pull) side. It will however wrap itself around the front sprocket instantly killing your engine (especially in higher gears where the engine don't generate much torque) and destroying your engine case. Your foot isn't even in danger from chain lash.

This is from my real life experience. I personally don't think clip type links are unsafe. Why would the chain manufacturer give them with the chain? They make chains and clips. We only use them.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've never really liked the clips myself, but I have run them on a 450hp turbo busa at 7.9 sec.

I had a buddy of my drop a chain on the track once. The first thing I thought was that the clip gave away. The chain broke in a different spot altogether. The break was nowhere close to the master link.
I know, people who don't like them either don't know what they're talking about, or have heard somebody else who doesn't know what they're talking about say bad things about them, or didn't know how to properly install the clip and it failed. It doesn't matter what it is, clip or master link, if it's not installed properly it's going to fail.:poke:

Back